web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    Angry Support Complaint
    I wanted to add some product to a new site, using certain merchant sources (very orderly!), and spread them over networks and suppliers. I went to CJ to get the links I needed and upload the graphics to my niche site.

The graphics were not showing, but I copied the reported URL for the image anyway and pasted it to my text file. I then went to the text link and copied that to my text file. The links on the screen were full of % codes but I can't tell when a link will work or not, so I copied exactly as I was always told to do.

The graphic URL returns a page not found error.
    The link URL returns a page not found error and a script error.

If I go to the site directly, I can find the product and the images show clearly.

I put in a help ticket at CJ:

I get an autoresponder, which I have to change the email address on and respond.

Then I get a high-and-mighty tech support person who acts like I'm from outerspace because his tools don't show the same problem I'm having. He doesn't even give me the benefit of the doubt.

I am so sick of no "true help" at CJ. You don't even have the option of creating custom links so you are stuck with the crap in the list.

I'm monetizing a new site. I need certain products and I'm approaching things a bit differently. I'm not adding a ton of product - only a very narrow line in a very narrow niche. This is truly "long tail" marketing! However, the traffic is phenomenal! I need certain products and when the images don't show and the links are bad, I go to another supplier.

This supplier just lost sales on the top-selling product in this niche worldwide because of CJ's incompetence.

I emailed the merchant, too. I advised them to find another network. I told them what they lost and what site, what product, etc. I hope they take action. Maybe if enough suppliers leave CJ that their profit margin is affected, they will finally get it - that their support needs to be improved.

Oh, and I work in tech support. I know how to do it. I've been in customer service for over 10 years. Even on my worst days, the customer is right.

Paste the code exactly as you copied it from CJ here (the forum will *** out the domain name), and see if others have the same issue,,,

You got it!

To save time and trouble, I've already asterisked out the merchant's name. My code I don't care - I'm not using the program.

The image you're trying to pull, http://www.petcarerx.com/common/Prodimg/10155L.jpg , is not found, as are all images I tried to see in their product feed. However, the link that CJ gives you,
    http://www.******.***/click-1921280-...=10155%3A10285 , works perfectly fine for me.

You don't put in help desk requests for this kind of issue, though - It's a merchant issue, not CJ. Contact the affiliate manager as listed in the program information page:

Email: PetCareRx@cj.com

AMs to read this!
    Thank you. I just wish these AMs would keep things up to date for those of us who do NOT use datafeeds.

It's very frustrating to put together a campaign, spend money on a new site or domain name and do the development of traffic - only to find the product no longer exists or that the feed is invalid.

It's a waste of time, reflects very badly on the network and the merchant.

I get the feeling that most merchants can't be bothered with niche marketers - only want to work with PPC marketers.

That's putting all your eggs in one basket.

Quote Originally Posted by tn-morgen
    I get the feeling that most merchants can't be bothered with niche marketers - only want to work with PPC marketers.
    Some of us PPC marketers also rely on datafeeds - Not many do, but it's still important.

Don't mean to be disprespectful to PPC folks, but sometimes it just seems like it's a lot of work and then the merchant treats me like they don't value my association.

Some folks bend over backwards, so I know it isn't industry-wide. Some folks do the best they can.

And then there are the few who make it very difficult to work with the merchant at all. Those are the AMs that either don't care or aren't involved enough with the programs to make things work. I don't know which is the problem - likely they are overloaded because of economic concerns. But that doesn't help me.

I like to think the best of folks - it's how I get through life. I'm not suspicious, looking for a way around, under or through folks. I expect most people are about as honest as they can be unless they are real nasty people that I don't want to associate with anyway.

I don't have the ready to do PPC, and I'd probably lose my shirt if I tried it anyway. I like niche marketing. It works for me and suits my style. It just gets really frustrating when things are let go like this.

That's why I always make it a point to get the phone number of the affiliate manager of any campaign that I'm seriously promoting. CJ can make it harder sometimes with their own program managers, but CJ's dial-by-name directory works wonders .

I learned pretty quickly that phone calls couldn't be ignored. Sure, maybe I annoyed one specific program manager at first, but I did turn out to be one of the program's top 5 affiliates in the coming months. Guess she couldn't complain then, and was actually happy to talk with me.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread