I'm not following New York politics closely, but looking at this mess, I can't help but wonder: are any of their stupid lawmakers regretting their decision, or at least considering its ramifications?

My suspicion, though, is that affiliate marketers are not on their radar screen. Frankly we're mostly a mom-and-pop business. Unless somebody can point to big affiliates that are likely to leave NY if this legislation stands, I don't see them caring. No NY lawmaker would draft legislation unfriendly to Wall Street - everybody knows that it's a crucial part of the NY economy (plus Wall Street seems pretty good at shooting itself in the foot anyway without outside help, but that's a different story...).

Of course, if such really big affiliates existed, they would probably have complained loudly by now.

It seems to me that in the absense of any big affiliate marketers like that, the onus is on the ad networks (CJ, LS, SAS, etc.) to join forces and speak up on behalf of their affiliate marketers. Sending statistics to the NY lawmakers concerned about the aggregate business generated by NY affiliates before this asinine legislation was drafted, and organizing petitions to be signed by their affiliates, would probably be good ways for them to start.

I urge all US-based affiliate marketers to take an active interest in this issue. Do NOT think the issue does not concern you if you don't live or do business in New York. Besides solidarity with your fellow affiliates, New York is a test case - other states are definitely watching closely to see what happens. If New York has its way and comes to the conclusion that this debacle was a good revenue-raising idea, other states will likely follow. If they retreat with egg on their faces, on the other hand, it should scare other states off from hare-brained ideas like this for at least a few years.