MegaManager hijack affliate links?
    Hello, I installed the browser plugin and notice when i directly type a URL such as www.thifty.com it go to clicksynergy something first before redirecting to www.thifty.com. Anyone know this?

When you mispell a typed in domain name quite often you'll find that domain is owned by someone who is redirecting it to the 'right' domain which they also own.

Yes, it actually sounds like it is hijacking the link!... typical browser plugin stuff...

You should check to see if there is a Linkshare cookie on your system now... if so, I would report it over in the parasite forum.

And try some domains that you know have affiliate programs - does it set a cookie even before you reach the store (without the typo)..?

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Yes, it actually sounds like it is hijacking the link!... typical browser plugin stuff...
    Actually it probably isn't. If you click the mis-spelled url in the original post then you will be redirected to Thrifty RAC through an affiliate link. More than likely an affiliate purchased the misspelled domain name for the purpose of capitalizing on the typos.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

He should type in regular domain names to test...

I have heard of this plug-in before, as ad-serving spyware.. which doesn't necessarily mean browser hijacking, fair enough. But worth a test...

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    I have heard of this plug-in before, as ad-serving spyware.. which doesn't necessarily mean browser hijacking, fair enough. But worth a test...
    Just Googled the plugin and it doesn't look like anything that I would want on my system.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    I suspect that the OP meant www.thrifty.com and just misspelled it here. This clearly looks like link hijacking from what he describes.

PLEASE report this to Linkshare immediately. I sure hope that the Linkshare Moderator reads this and forwards it to the right person to take immediate action.

And FYI, it doesn't matter if someone misspelled the site or not. Anything other than a click on an affiliate link is against the rules and cause for termination.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread