Question About the new GoToBaby datafeed...
    Hi Stuart,

I was going to PM you this post, but since I saw that you only have 55 posts, I don't know if you can receive PM's yet.

The new GoToBaby datafeed looks good and clean, much better than the previous one before the update, but there is a small problem on that new datafeed.

Before the new feed, I was using custom1 and Custom2 for the Category and SubCategory on my import script, but yesterday when I uploaded the new feed I noticed that I no longer had any Category or SubCategory links on my site.

Since everything else on the feed show up good on my site, I thought that you might be using the new SAS Fields on the new datafeed, so I went to modify my old GoToBaby datafeed import script to use the new merchantCategory and merchantSubcategory Fields instead of custom1 and Custom2 as before.

But after I re-uploaded the new datafeed just now, and saw that I still don't have any Category or SubCategory showing up on my site, I opened the datafeed on Excel and I notice that you're indeed using the new SAS datafeed format, but you have nothing ony of the custom1 - custom5 Fields, and nothing on the new merchantCategory and merchantSubcategory Fields neither.

So my question is...

Are any GoToBaby Category or SubCategory would be added to the new GoToBaby datafeed by next week?

Thanks.

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you for your question. I;m glad you liek the feed. I just updated it to add some categories like personalized baby gifts and baby gift baskets and best sellers ( was already on there)

I'm not sure what other parameters would help you, please let me know and I'll contact shareasale to see if in their new program their are sections I am not aware of.

Let me know whatever you need.

Thanks.
    Stuart

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Stuart,

Did EVERYTHING change?

Was updating my baby blankets page yesterday and noticed there were no images and the links didn't work.

I fixed 'em, but do I need to search all my sites for all GTB products?

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Billy, we had to do a new data feed from scratch because the urls changed. We did put 301 redirectes on all the product pages, but they may not work with your attached cookie and any non working url will be redirected to the homepage so your cookie should stay attached.

Please check out the new datafeed. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, but we went through some tough, but beneficial changes.

I just updated it to add some categories like personalized baby gifts and baby gift baskets and best sellers ( was already on there)

I'm not sure what other parameters would help you, please let me know and I'll contact shareasale to see if in their new program their are sections I am not aware of.
    Yesterday there was no categories on the feed.

I just re-loaded the feed and now I see two categories showing: Baby Gift Basket and Personalized Baby Gifts

Two categories are better than none, but I was not asking about new parameters, the datafeed looks good as it's.

What I was wondering is about all of the other categories that used to be there in the old feed, like for example:

Baby Artwork
    Baby Clothing
    Baby Bedding
    Baby Blankets & Cozies
    Baby Clothing & Toys
    Baby Gift Certificates
    Baby Books & Videos
    Strollers, Carriers & Travel
    Nightlights & Growth Charts
    Rocking Chairs

Etc...
    I no longer have any copy of the old datafeed, but if you look under Get Text Links for GoToBaby on SAS, you can still see some of the names of the categories that where available before under the custom1 Field of the datafeed.

It would be a good idea to add some of those category names back to the merchantCategory Field on the new feed, that way the pages that may be listed on the SE's already, don't get lost to a 404.

No Categories in the GoldenCan Feed
    I'd like to add to this that there aren't any categories on the GC feed either. Just a huge list of products to wade through. This makes it difficult for visitors to find what they want. I do have a search box but categories would be nice.

Thanks!
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Affiliate Manager
    I will redo the feed, give me a couple days now that I understand what would be helpful. By Thursday we should have a new one with more info.

Thanks.

Affiliate Manager
    I added a newer feed with the addition of category and subcategories. Once shareasale put it up let me know if you have any problems.
    Thanks.
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by GTBNYC
    I added a newer feed with the addition of category and subcategories. Once shareasale put it up let me know if you have any problems.
    Thanks.
    Stuart
    To paraphrase the old movie line, "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Seems to me you're either not getting what many of us need in the way of category and subcategory information is something MORE than just Category: "Gifts/Specialty" Subcategory: "Baby/Infant"

You mentioned on 6/4/08 that you have uploaded a better datafeed with more category/subcategory info, but the one on the SAS FTP site is STILL the one of 6/2/08, which shows only those two columns of information.

If I understand what Mr. Sal and the others in this thread have tried to explain, it might be something like this:

There are customizable columns/fields available in the SAS datafeed format which many of look at when there's only "generic" stuff in the Category and Subcategory columns/fields. I'm talking about columns/fields like Custom1, Custom2, Custom3, Custom4, Custom5, merchantCategory, and merchantSubcategory. Many of the merchants at SAS use these customizable columns/fields to put USEFUL, detailed category and subcategory information in the feed.

Your current datafeed -- unless there's a 6/4/08 version that's not up on the FTP site yet -- has NOTHING in those available customizable columns/fields.

It is nearly impossible for many of us to use your datafeed in any meaningful way unless you can provide more specific category/subcategory information, using two of the available columns/fields I listed above.

For example: On my hard drive, I have a gotobaby.com SAS datafeed from 4/8/08. That particular datafeed happens to have very usable category information in the column/field for "Custom1" and very usable subcategory information in the column/field for "Custom2." There are even a few columns with additional subcategory info in "Custom3." As an example, here are some of the Custom1 data from that datafeed:

Baby Clothing & Toys
    Baby Gift Baskets
    In the Nursery

Here are some of the Custom2 data from that datafeed:

Baby Toys & Goodies
    Bath & Meal Time
    Tremendous Toys

I have no idea how much the category and subcategory information in those customizable columns/fields have changed since that 4/8/08 datafeed. But I wanted to try to give you some details that might help you see better what many of us are looking for.

Thanks for any additional work you can do on this.

And, hey, if it would be of any help to you, PM me and I'd be happy to email you a copy of that 4/8/08 datafeed in either text or Excel format for your reference.
    Last edited by writerguy; June 7th, 2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Correct typos and clarify
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager
    Try the feed now and see if it is what you expect. I thought it uploaded last week, but they informed me it went live today.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey guys! I just checked, everything looks dandy Nice work with the new categories, Stuart!

Way to go, Stuart! Looking good now! Thanks for your good work on this.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by GTBNYC
    Try the feed now and see if it is what you expect. I thought it uploaded last week, but they informed me it went live today.
    Now it's 100% better than yesterday!

Thanks.

Hey that's great news! Now how about some categories in the Golden Can feed? All we have is Baby Gift Baskets and Miscellaneous. I may get a visitor at some point and it'd be nice to have categories

Maybe I'm the only GC I don't know

Thanks,
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread