Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    How was ur weekend?
    I feel so good about myself I gave myself a pat on the back. LoL

I fixed an oil leak on my car. Valve cover gasket was leaking for ages and I was afraid fixing it myself. Got some quotes and it was $200 - 300 plus tax.

Bought some tools yesterday and I was a mechanic for the morning. Good thing is - I put back everything I took out.

p.s. I am hoping that my engine does not blow up in my 50+ mile commute in the morning tomorrow.

Ah-ha..new occupation, eh? I believe you now qualify as a "Shade Tree Mechanic." WTG with fixing it yourself. Not only did you save some cash, you have some new tools, some new skills, and a sense of self-satisfaction. I agree, that does make for a good weekend.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Awesome! Definitely pat-on-the-back stuff...

I enjoy fixing things myself, but being of the female persuasion, it has resulted in broken air conditioning (faulty thermostat installation), occasional electrical shocks (what is grounding?), and a dimmer switch with a mind of it's own.

I've had a good weekend too tho.. registered an eight-letter dot com name & enjoyed two fun evenings with good friends.

Good luck with the drive tomorrow!

I don't think i will quite my day job and work as a shade tree mechanic yet... But with the economy bumping along, imight be moonlighting on weekends doing that... Definately like the new tool part and satisfaction, spent 30$ + time.

Yeah, who need ground when it comes to electrical circuits. Somebody need to come up with + and - only.

Good thing is i have AAA and 100miles towing in the worst case scenario.

Glad to hear you were successful. I was under my Explorer installing a new MAC cat-back exhaust. Not easy because it is dual inlet on the muffler and it has to be lined up just right. Quite heavy too. Sounds great anyhow.

I also did a water pump on our van Friday night. Kinda tight in there. Overall, not the worst job ever, but still not one of my favorites.

I was going to do the front brakes on my wife's car too this weekend, but ran a little short on time. I was busy playing Spongebob Monopoly with my 5 y/o.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to outdo you on the mechanical stuff here...just turned out everything was going wrong at once on our vehicles. I refuse to buy a new car at this point. Basically, I don't like the hybrids enough to buy one yet. Also I don't want to buy a new gas car that would be difficult to sell or trade if gas goes to $10/gal. The only thing I might consider is leasing, that way I can dump it back on the dealer in the end if gas gets to be that high.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    I was busy playing Spongebob Monopoly with my 5 y/o.
    -sfcom
    Spongebob trumps fixing a car.

Always thought that leases is the worst thing out there.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Ok, totally a girl here and didn't do any mechanic work this weekend

But I did fix a section of fence on my own (yup, Satan's Pony struck again)! Did a lot of studying, cleaning and fighting for room in the bed with Titan. Oh yeah, and enjoyed an afternoon of horror movies on SciFi with Aubrey
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Wife and kids have been gone on vacation for a week, now, and boy am I relaxed!

Twice now, I have slept for 11 hours in a row. I have been surviving on 4-6 hours a night. This morning woke up at 4:45 all perky, was in my office 3 hours early.

I miss them, but this has been a good chance for me to get caught up on my rest. Plus, I painted part of the house this weekend, always a good feeling to get a home project completed.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread