A site being indexed on Google quickly after launch, good traffic from Google, then 1 month later the site is dropped and the googlebot has not revisted for over 1 month. Traffic dried up but fortunatley PPC keeps something coming. SO for 1 month free SE traffic was great and this past month traffic is almost non-existant.

Does this sound normal or is there a problem you can think of? My site was indexed and it is listed in Google for a few keyword searches but the traffic is nothing compared to what the site had for awhile.

The site:
    http://www.collegesanduniversities.org

Best regards,

Dylan

ABW Ambassador
    I would concentrate on building up incoming links via link exchanges with other sites and ensuring that your site is not getting filtered for any reason.

To check this do a search for site:yoursite.com -wqoeiuwo&filter=0

the -wqoeiuwo could be any word that is not included on your sites (it tells google to display all pages that do not include this word)
    and the &filter=0 tells google to include filtered pages.

All the best, DPG

ABW Ambassador
    I could be wrong, and forgive me for saying so, but I'm thinking that Google considered it

ABW Ambassador
    Using the allinurl:sitename.com will show you that google has many of your pages. You do not have enough (or they are new) incomming links to get some pagerank.

The first month, google placed you well because it almost always gives new sites a one month artifical boost. This is normal for freshbot. Now the party is over and google expects some good incomming links before it is going to give you good placement.

I dont think you are in a spam filter since 156 of your pages are in the google allinurl: index.

DPG:

Thanks for the feedback! I followed your suggestion and the result was 157 pages indexed. What should I be thinking about now? And I am consistently adding incoming links but does not seem to get Googlebot back.

Lisa:

I appreciate your feedback but what specifically makes you think it is spam? The site is a directory of college programs so it helps users find the right college for their career. It certainly is not alone and their are loads of other similar sites which have PR, DMOZ, etc... I certainly did not follow any Spam related techniques. Your thoughts would be helpful

Regards,

Dylan

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What should I be thinking about now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My advice is to do exactly what chrisk said. Incoming, Incoming, Incoming!

All the best and good luck getting your site back up in Google's Search Engine Results PageS. Don't be disheartened if your linkback efforts are not immediately apparent. Their effects, although somewhat effective in realtime, will not fully be realised until the Google Gods decide to do the next PR dance

okay now i'm confused.

* 119 backlinks thru the Google toolbar.
    * 157 links using this command (as sugested by DPG): site:collegesanduniversities.org -russia&filter=0
    * 37 links using this command (suggested by Chrisk): allinurl:collegesanduniversities.org

What does this mean? I'm very, very ignorant on Google backward link commands like above. Any wisdom would be appreciated and I could go to sleep tonight with "less" questions.

Dylan

ABW Ambassador
    157 is the number of pages on your site in the index, NOT BACK LINKS. Try doing a search without the filter tag and then one with the filter tag. IF there is a difference then some pages are being filtered by google possibly for page irregularities that Google's algorithm has picked up.

e.g. try

site:yoursite.com -kljhaskjh

and

site:yoursite.com -kljhaskjh&filter=0

Sorry I haven't looked at the site so can't comment on this.

Thanks DPG

I get the same number with and without filters. I'll just keep working on links and building more useful pages.

Dylan

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like things are bouncing around. Just make sure you are getting incomming links and wait. Google is very unpredictable these days. Nothing you can do but wait and keep adding backlinks. It can take a few months before you start seeing good placement in the SERPS.

ABW Ambassador
    Dylan,

I'm not saying you're "spamming ", and I can see that your site is a directory about colleges and universities with the text fully relevent to the website , but just a quick glance shows me that your main page has the word "universities" alone at least 60 times within the text, personally, I think that's pushing it , whether it was unintentional or not.

And then , the other pages just seem kind of weak for keywords .
    If you click on one of those state universities pages, take a closer look at Alabama for example, I think you will be able to see that it is kind of weak , meaning there's just not enough mention of "Alabama" ,or any "university" within the paragraphs , or main text of the page, and it's just in two heading tags .

If things were THAT easy to get rankings , I'd be pumping out dozens of pages each and every day by hand , but they're not ...unless you're shooting for some unpopular or obscure keywords. Your area of concentration is far too competitive to expect a few headings and title tags to do the trick for you.

Hi Lisa

Thanks for the feedback! I see your points and agree with you from the search engine's point of view. While I was not building a site with any intentions of being spammy or quick, it certainly was not a quick site to build, I think it obviously could use more content but I think alot of content is "artificial" and not "necessary" and is there only to please the search engine gods.

We are constantly trying to build lots of "extra" words on a page even though they probably do not help the visitor much at all. For example, in the case of that Alabama page it probably does not help the visitor a whole lot if I put a few more sentences about universities in Alabama. I mean the person looking is busy and just wants to see a list of potential schools where they can get more information. BUT search engines prefer the content and in many cases the content is helpful to the visitor. I'm just saying in some cases it is not "logically" the best style.

The internet is about finding the right information but in the case of directory sites sometimes less is more to be honest. I like directories because they get to the point and send you to the right places for more information.

Anyway, despite this opinion I will be making more content rich sites but I prefer to build directories that let the experts, vendors, etc... say what they know. There is plenty of information out there but often poor ways of arranging and presenting it. Ideally I could build only directory type sites that have smart navigation and directions to other sites and not try to pretend I'm the expert. I mean how many of the sites that the people in this forum build are subjects they are experts in?

That's my two cents, now to create content

Dylan

ps- i see you're from new york also, hopefully this rain will go away before the weekend

ABW Ambassador
    Dylan,

I wasn't saying you need more "content" , but with the content you "have" now, maybe squeezing
    in a few words here and there can help .

For the page we were talking about before (Alabama) for example , it couldn't hurt to add some bolded text saying that Herzing has a campus located in Birmingham ,Alabama
    just minutes away from SomeOtherTowns in , Alabama, and that Remington College is located in Mobile , Alabama , a short drive from Other Towns , Alabama ,that kind of thing .

It's a very nice site, and I can tell that it
    was not a quickie site to build , but a little more time on the keyword density will, IMO, make all that hard work payoff for you .

Lot's of luck !

Hi Lisa

Wow! My site went from to "very nice" in a just a few posts. I hope you're not just trying to make me feel better.

Thanks for your thoughts...really.

Dylan

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread