How about an API?
    Reading the threads here in the SAS forum, I see that many affiliates yearn for a SAS API. I, for one, would welcome it. It would make things so much easier. CJ has one and it's free (albeit useless at times as it periodically returns unwanted items in the results); Linkshare has one too and it's free (partially; obtaining promotional links via their webservice is free, but unless you've been with them for a while and made a certain amount of sales, getting actual products with their "real time .xml" can cost $250). So does AvantLink (I hear theirs is pretty much the standard by which other affiliate program manager APIs are judged). And if I'm not mistaken, Performics has one as well. Why not SAS?

SAS should have a comparable API for its affiliate and merchants other than FTP and email. I mean, there's no excuse for its absence. This is expected from a major affiliate program manager, isn't it?

I'm someone from SAS responds to this thread. I think I speak for the majority of SAS members when I scream "WE WANT AN API!"

Please SAS, don't leave us

Why not start a poll here and see how many want one??

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Slightly off topic for this forum, but why not start a tutorial for using APIs?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Slightly off topic for this forum, but why not start a tutorial for using APIs?
    check this out writerguy. http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=105960

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Dastic
    ......I think I speak for the majority of SAS members when I scream "WE WANT AN API!"......
    Probably only a small minority of SAS users have the skill set necessary to implement a product API. Hence the enormous popularity of affiliate datafeed services such as PopShops, GoldenCan, and others. Affiliates are willing to pay (dearly) for many of those services. Some of those fees run a couple hundred dollars per year or possibly even giving up 25% of sales through a shared-click setup for certain merchants/feeds.

Now that's just my opinion and observation. I am capable of running a dynamic site on PHP/MySQL, but I am not yet ready to implement an API.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Unfortunately it needs a tutorial.

Whoa! I didn't expect to get any responses to this thread so soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Why not start a poll here and see how many want one??
    Not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Probably only a small minority of SAS users have the skill set necessary to implement a product API. Hence the enormous popularity of affiliate datafeed services such as PopShops, GoldenCan, and others. Affiliates are willing to pay (dearly) for many of those services. Some of those fees run a couple hundred dollars per year or possibly even giving up 25% of sales through a shared-click setup for certain merchants/feeds.
    I can agree with that. Even so, an API is pretty much mandatory these days for any affiliate program manager.

API or Web Services?
    CJ has one and it's free (albeit useless at times as it periodically returns unwanted items in the results); Linkshare has one too and it's free
    CJ and LinkShare seem to use the term Web Service if I remember right. CJ has a SOAP service and LS has a REST service. I use them both.

When I look at AvantLink it's called an API. Doing a search in Wikipedia for API and Web Service it seems they are technically different.

It seems like we are using the terms interchangeably. Would someone like to clarify?

@bumpaw

The Wikipedia links you provided seems to explain it. An API is just code that accesses data and/or perform some type of operation on data or something else. However, in order to use the API over a network, it is made available through a Web Service, and that service can be implemented either as SOAP, REST, or both.

HTH

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Perhaps the majority of SAS members who are programmers

The rest (perhaps majority) of us would probably prefer ready to use tools that we can use without having to write scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Dastic
    I'm someone from SAS responds to this thread. I think I speak for the majority of SAS members when I scream "WE WANT AN API!"

Please SAS, don't leave us

I've always wondered... would there be any interest in a prepopulated database of SAS datafeed data? It would be just like the datafeeds except available in mysql and ever updated 24 hours. That would be the start of an API right there.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    All,

Stuff is in the works, we hope to have a few things (API on this list) done - tested - and announced prior to the Affiliate Summit in August...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks for the update, Brian. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy

Now that's just my opinion and observation. I am capable of running a dynamic site on PHP/MySQL, but I am not yet ready to implement an API.
    Are you saying that a majority of SAS users are low tech affiliates? That SAS is kinda like a beginner's network?

I would speculate that the majority of all affiliates aren't technical enough to work with an API. But that doesn't mean it's not a good idea. These types of things aren't built for the masses. It could be a huge help to those who are technical enough to use it, plus third parties can develop stuff that uses it as well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Are you saying that a majority of SAS users are low tech affiliates? That SAS is kinda like a beginner's network?
    Not at all, Connie; I would never imply such a thing. I only used the noun, SAS, in that sentence because it was used by the OP and is in the SAS forum. I speculate this to be true among all networks, all affiliates.

One may be good at layout, design, writing good sales copy, and developing good content - but coding is a whole other world. There are many people who are great coders and excellent at everything else in affiliate marketing, but I believe they are in the minority. The success of the third party services should be testament to that. I believe it to the point I am making an investment in also developing a third party tool for affiliates - I am involved with design and functionality concepts, but a partner is doing the coding.

FWIW, I've been doing this "affiliate stuff" commercially for eight years (online for 11) and my primary network of choice, for all things other than travel, is ShareASale.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    All,

Stuff is in the works, we hope to have a few things (API on this list) done - tested - and announced prior to the Affiliate Summit in August...
    Good sir, any choice tidbits as to what this might look like? Is SAS going to do anything differently or is it going to be a standard API with standard features (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread