Programs that are NOT dropping NY ?
    It's great that there is a list of merchants who are dropping NY affiliates,
    but how about a list of merchants that are hanging in there...
    they deserve some support as well Many publishers would like to know there are options for similar products.
    I know we are not supposed to promote merchant programs but I have a few that are taking the risk and I'm sure there are others.
    Who do I ask to help with this or to get permission to post the programs I know of.
    thanks

http and a telephoto
    There are several threads, including one in the Shareasale forum and a couple here that are for companies based in NY. I'll try and look them up to have them all linked from one thread.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=106036
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=106032
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=105962
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=105748
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=105722
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    That would be an impossible list because it would be thousands since it looks like to this point, about 1% - 2% are dropping NY affiliates. So 98%+ of merchants with affiliate programs aren't, so that would be a big list.

NY approved list - good point
    Good Point - I guess I didn't think of that. Maybe we could encourage members to ask for programs in their market and those of us that know of reputable merchants could offer support.

http and a telephoto
    Some are also just quietly starting to charge the sales tax.
    Deborah Carney

This is an encouraging thread. I've been thinking so much about the merchants that are dropping NY affiliates that I never really thought about the thousands that are not.

Thank you .

When you are swamping out links by the thousands it doesn't seem just like just 1% 2% are dropping ny affiliates.

What has happened to me three times is I swap out the links then the next day the new merchant drops ny affiliates. Any help us ny affiliates can get I am all for. A list of who isn't dropping would be a huge plus for me.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    It might not seem like it is but that's the reality to this point.

"A list of who isn't dropping would be a huge plus for me."

All you do is look at the list at who is dropping and then it's everybody else. Unless you think there is someone out there that's going to compile a list of about 5000+ merchants and that's just in CJ, LS, Performics, SAS alone. Add in all the other networks and indys and you have much more.

I think what they're looking for is a list of merchants who have publicly said that they won't drop NY affiliates, so that they won't be in the situation that Vinny was in (swap links out then get dropped by the new merchant).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think what they're looking for is a list of merchants who have publicly said that they won't drop NY affiliates, so that they won't be in the situation that Vinny was in (swap links out then get dropped by the new merchant).
    Exactly. Mellie has pointed out that she has done the same, swap out links for a supposedly safe merchant, only to be dropped by them a day later.
    Deborah Carney

If I were a merchant I would make sure to reach out to affiliates right now. Great pr for your company. Shouldn't assume we know you are complying with the law, whether it's recent change or you already comply.

In some instances, merchants we assumed would be safe because they have physical stores in state actually are not safe because the company had set up a .com division to handle online sale. For example KBToys which has stores all over NY dropped NY affiliates because the online KBToys.com doesn't want to collect tax. Same with Ritz Camera- they have online division so they too kicked out NYers even though they have stores in NY. The lack of information is a real issue for us.

Several merchants are letting us know and that is greatly appreciated.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

BuyCostumes.com supporting NY Affiliates
    Does Commission Junction have an area like ShareASale does for Merchants that are standing by NY affiliates? Sorry if I missed it...

To our valued BuyCostumes.com Affiliates:
    As many of you know, the recent changes in the New York Tax Law have affected many affiliate relationships in the industry.

BuyCostumes.com wants to make it clear that we are continuing to support our New York affiliates. We are committed to all of our affiliates and will do what we can to support you.

If any of you would like to learn more about our terms, policies or program in general, please email me directly.

BuyCostumes.com is the largest retailer of Costumes, Accessories & Party Supplies Online.

Kristen Grace

Affiliate Marketing Manager

262.901.2000 xt. 134

kristen@buycostumes.com

Kristen,

I just got the email and was just going to post what you just posted. Kudos to Buycostumes and thanks for letting us know You were one of my merchants I was concerned about and almost gave you a call today. For those that don't know Kristen she is by far one of the most active AM's in the business.

A little sucking up should be worth a little raise in the commissions????

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    This is not intended as promotion of our programs, but rather it is a statement of our position regarding our existing, and our upcoming programs. We have no intention of dropping NY affiliates. I firmly believe there is a sensible resolve and clearly defined exemption clarification coming, be it through NY or the courts. Either way, we will continue to do whatever is required to comply where applicable and preserve our affiliate relationships.

There is always a magnified reaction when things like this first hit the fan. But we firmly believe this will be resolved one way or another, so we're stayin cool and not pushing the eject button!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

[LEFT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Packy
    Kristen,

I just got the email and was just going to post what you just posted. Kudos to Buycostumes and thanks for letting us know You were one of my merchants I was concerned about and almost gave you a call today. For those that don't know Kristen she is by far one of the most active AM's in the business.

A little sucking up should be worth a little raise in the commissions????
    I got a very nice email from Kristen as well today. What a nice and refreshing email to receive in light of what is going on here.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hey Kristen, nice to see you here! And thanks for the email letting us New York affiliates know that Buy Costumes still wants our business.

Yes, thank you for the email Kristin, and for the support!
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Has anyone else received anything like this?

Dear Commission Junction Affiliate Member:

While we try to facilitate the sales process for affiliate members of the Commission Junction network, recent changes in New York state law have required that we more specifically define the nature of acceptable affiliate activity. If you wish to continue working as a Commission Junction affiliate member for our websites, we will need you to print off and fill out the following acknowledgement form. Unfortunately, if you do return this acknowledgement form to us, we will need to remove you as a member from our Commission Junction network. We truly regret that New York ’s recent actions have made this necessary.

Reference is made to the certain Commission Junction agreement by ____________________ (Commission Junction affiliate member)executed on____________.

To address recently adopted New York sales tax legislation, as well as any potential future issues regarding a presumption or establishment of sales tax nexus with any state, Johnson Smith is hereby directing that neither ________________(Commission Junction affiliate member), nor any person or entity acting on your behalf shall engage in any additional solicitation activity on behalf of Johnson Smith, including but not limited to the distribution of flyers, coupons, other printed materials; circulation of printed and electronic newsletters; initiation of telephone calls, and sending emails or any other means of solicitation targeted at potential customers, other than by maintaining links to a Johnson Smith Company retail website (including but not limited to www.thingsyouneverknew.com, www.lighterside.com, www.bettysattic.com, www.fulloflife.com, www.halloweenonly.com, and www.clevergear.com) on __________________ (Commission Junction affiliate member)

Company owned and operated Web sites.

Please acknowledge below that __________________(Commission Junction affiliate member) is currently in compliance with these direction and will remain so in the future unless and until these directions are withdrawn. We would appreciate your signing this acknowledgement form and sending it by fax to XXXXX no later than Friday June 20th, 2008.

Sincerely,

Colleen McPhie

Johnson Smith Company

By signing below, I agree that I understand and will comply with the directions of the above acknowledgement form.

_______________________ __________________

Authorized Agent Date

Hi Janet, I've not received anything to sign just new terms to accept from some.

Sure wish they would proof read a bit more carefully, I think they left out the word "not". Hopefully it should read "...if you do NOT return..."

Unfortunately, if you do return this acknowledgement form to us, we will need to remove you as a member from our Commission Junction network. We truly regret that New York ’s recent actions have made this necessary.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

I hope we don't have to return something - just state the new rules & they're probably okay with me [I've seen situations that don't pertain to me except for the fact that I live in NY].
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ice.com goes cpc-only for NY affs
    penny a click, is it worth it?

===============

As you are probably aware New York State has passed a new tax law effective June 1 2008, which affects affiliates residing in New York State. It has always been our aim to offer you the best earning opportunity and we remain committed to continuing our relationship with you. In light of this new legislation we have decided to make some changes to the terms and conditions of our affiliate agreement that will allow us to operate within the new tax law.

The implications of the change in the tax law on the terms and conditions of the affiliate agreement break down into 2 areas:

1. Prohibited Promotions

2. Migration to a Cost-Per-Click (CPC) Model

1. Prohibited Promotions

New York affiliates are no longer able to solicit New York residents and the types of marketing activities that we have to prohibit include the following: (See the updated Affiliate Terms & Conditions in LinkShare)

* PPC marketing

* E-mail marketing (newsletter or promotion e-mails)

* Print advertising (flyers, business cards)

* Lead generation

* Mobile marketing

* Telemarketing

2. Migration to Cost-Per-Click (CPC) Model

Effective immediately and until further notice, ICE.com, Inc. will no longer be paying commissions based on sales generated by our affiliates in New York State. As a temporary solution, we have created a $0.01 Cost-Per-Click (CPC) Pay Out offer in LinkShare (offer 693.1) for our New York affiliates.

We value our New York State Affiliate partnerships and we will work with you on finding a permanent solution. Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your understanding and help!

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Paresh Vadavia

Affiliate Program Manager

Ice.com

866-393-9788 ext. 108

www.ice.com

pvadavia@ice.com

Here is some information on this New York State Affiliate Offer Program.

$ .01 cpc on all goods

ICE.com Special New York State Affiliate Partnership Offer - $0.01 CPC(692.2)

Now you can start participating in this private program. To upgrade your account to this level:

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬
    penny a click, is it worth it?
    No.

yes

Talking
    I think it's bizarre.

But I'm curious if it's OK w/LS, since it really isn't affiliate marketing. They aren't paying per/sale or lead.

did a search...looks like LS used to offer CPC, but ended it in 2001?

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread