macbook suggestions
    Need some help with purchasing a MacBook. I have never purchased an apple before so advice would be appreciated.

Seems like there are 3 versions of the apple laptop:

MacBook: standard version
    Air: ultra portable version
    Pro: high-end version

Am I right about this assumption?

The reason for the laptop would be video editing, picture editing, web, email, and MS Office.

I would like to select one that is easy to carry, but wouldn't mind all the bells and whistles.

First off, forget about the Air if you want to do video or picture editing. That's not really what that machine is geared for. Between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, for what you've mentioned, I'd go with the Pro. It's what I use... and I would never consider doing image editing on a 13" MacBook screen. It can be done... but I wouldn't want to. I've been using the 17" MacBook Pro for 18 months now, and I would never go back to Windows.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Yep, Daniel has it pegged. I've been a Mac user for 20 years (gawd--can't believe it's really been that long) and I concur with what he said. I also own 2 PCs, desktop and laptop, but find that I use one of my two MacBooks about 90% of the time. I use the smaller screen version for nearly everything, but I do not do video editing - yet. If I ever get into video I will upgrade to the Pro machine.

If you want the bells & whistles I say, Go for it!" --- and Enjoy.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

thanks guys, is the pro 17" easy to lug around? mind telling me how much it weighs? I'll get the dimensions online.

6.8 pounds: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

It's not prohibitively heavy by any stretch of the imagination... the Toshiba laptop I owned before this was 11 pounds! The only problem you're going to have is using it on airplanes due to the dimensions... but depending on how often you travel, that might not be a consideration.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

OK, think i have decided on the 15inch pro.

Is there a huge difference between the 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6 Ghz versions? Is the processor speed upgrade price worth it?

the 2 hard drive options are 250 @5400 rpm and 200 @ 7200 rpm (add $50) - I would like the larger capacity, but part of me says to go with the faster rpm.

The extra softwares I am getting are Final Cut and MS Office. Anything else needed?

Glossy display for sure vs the matte

Thanks for the help!

You will really like the 15-inch Pro. I had one of the original 15" Titaniums - way back when - and it was great.

If I were buying I would likely get the larger drive, but if you plan to do video editing you should opt for the faster drive. if/when you need additional "space," there are a lot of inexpensive external drives on the market.

Good luck, and ENJOY!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    And if you're doing video editing MAX OUT THE RAM.

The slower CPU version with maxed out RAM would probably be faster than the higher CPU version with standard RAM installed.

I'm still waiting for them to bring out a 12" model or the Pro or Air. I like to be able to fit my laptop into a hotel room safe so I can enjoy my "away from the computer" time when I'm overseas. I am yet to meet a hotel room safe that I could squeeze my 12" Powerbook G4 into. It'll be with me in Europe later this month, unless Apple brings out a replacement for it very soon.

Just bought a 15" macbook pro, also for audio and video editing. I maxed out everything 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, and went for the faster but smaller hard drive (7200 RPM, 200GB). It blows away my 24" iMac.

If you got to choose one of the upgrades, I'd say max out the RAM, especially for video editing.

You also need to decide between the regular or glossy screen. The glossy screen is pretty, but I was concerned about reflections. Try to see both in person if you can.

I was tempted to go for the 17", especially to get the higher resolution display, but couldn't bring myself to get it. It just seems too big.

That's the most common concern about the 17" - that it's simply too big for a laptop... and when I got my first 17" laptop 5 years ago, everyone that saw it was like, "damn, that's HUGE!". It felt like that to me too at first, but this is really one of those things where once to try it, you won't want to go back... the size is something that you just sort of get used to. It doesn't seem large to me at all, and if there was a 19" laptop with a decent weight, I'd probably go for it
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

If there was a 15" MacBook Pro with higher resolution, I'd be all over it. I'd even give up the trackpoint on my Thinkpads. 1440x900 just seems a tad low...1680x1050 would be nice.

For now I guess I'll have to suffer with my Mac Pro. Lots of horsepower, but it's not very portable.
    --

Thanks all for the input!

SJangro is that a perch?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Hectic,

Which [affordable] video software would you suggest? Final cut express got terrible reviews. AVCHD editing is a must.

I don't do a lot of video yet, but I did just buy Final Cut Express. The reviews were mixed, not really terrible, with an average of 3/5. For what I have in mind, I wanted something better than iMovie but not as expensive as Final Cut Pro or Premiere. A lot of the complaints were about the lack of high-end features or comparing it to previous versions. One that I noticed complained about FCE's file system... which I could care less about

So... I can't say that FCE will be right for you. I've barely started playing with it myself. But I don't have any other recommendations either, since I'm new to video production in general. Sorry
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Hmmm... okay. Another complaint was that the AVCHD editing caused alot of problems. If you do have a chance to play with it, and are using AVCHD - I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread