Basic blogging opinions, please :)
    Doing a blog was on my to do list for this year (been puttin it off and off cos of bein a scaredy cat......but said I was gonna, so I better get started since it is now June.)

Should make up a couple of polls for this but don't know how to do that.
    Read some threads here and will say first to Trust and Judi...uhhh you're about to be dethroned for the least techie amongst us. Guaranteed am gonna be embarassing myself quite a bit on this subject. (hence.....reason for bein a scaredy cat)

Noticed in my cpanel (umm another subject am definitely cpanel challenged, unfortunately) there is somethin about a blog...so am assuming I can set one up on my site for free?? maybe.

Tryin to figure out where to start so thinking best might be here. Decided I like bein a "bloggie instead of a blogger" but no disrespect meant to any who like bein referred to as a blogger.

To my fellow bloggies:

Which do you feel is best to use: Blogger or WordPress??

And.....is it better to have: Think correct terminology may be a dedicated site blog (one that is on your site..not quite sure how it is part of my site but not gonna get ahead of myself )

Or......is it better to have a blog that is separate from your site?

If possible it would be nice to have reasons given for your opinions but I realize everybody's busy, so just which you prefer would be very, very much appreciated since I'm tryin to take baby steps on this so as to not get too overwhelmed

Smile
    Hi purplebear

Your cpanel will let you install wordpress on your server.

Install it and then just link to it from the other pages on your site.

It will be on the Fantastico link.

Just tell it to install automatically and it will.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I have blogs all different ways.

I have sites that are regular sites but also have a blog, I have sites that are just blogs and I have blog sites that stand alone but are related to a regular site(I mean I have sitename.com and then sitenameblog.com)

So not real helpful except to say they all work well and get traffic. So whatever you do is fine.

All mine are wordpress. The first one I installed was wordpress because someone told me it was better than blogger. Can't remember the reason, sorry. Since it worked I stuck with it for all the others.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    1.Don't use Blogger
    2.Your site integration or lack there of totally depends on you and your needs not my/our preference(s). Either install it in a directory or not (or even a separate domain) and link everything (or don't) as you see fit.

Disclaimer: I am not a blogger. I am a marketer and translator who likes to use the blog format on websites along with a bunch of other stuff.

Hey Purplebear,

I too had the same stresses regarding blogging. This past year I have set up several blogs, and by LOTS of trial and error, am becoming more and more comfortable with them.

For me, Wordpress was the way to go. I used Fantastico on my cpanel, which made it very easy to install. Then played around with the default theme, making posts and creating pages, categories and just generally getting the feel of things. Then uploaded different themes, widgets, and plugins and played around with them. One thing I did learn is that not all themes support all widgets and plugins. Wordpress themes, widgets, and plugins are in numerous supply so finding what you want may be a bit time consuming.

is it better to have a blog that is separate from your site?
    I'm not sure if it matters, I guess it would depend on what your sites main content is. I decided to use my old Fun To Collect site domains to put my blogs on so they are a site in their own right. I do have one blog that is "attached" to one site because the site content does support what the blog is about.

Actually, for me it was fun once I got started. I'm still not an expert by any means but trial and error and with the help of a few ABW'ers I'm getting more and more comfortable with blogging.

I'm sure some folks swear by Blogger and others by WP, I haven't tried Blogger so I can't comment on it.

You might want to read this about Blogger http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=106204

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    Everyone's opinion is different on this. You really won't know what you like until you get in there and start using them.

If you start with Blogger and decide that you do not like it, you can create your Wordpress blog and import your posts from Blogger.

You can have a blog up and running in minutes with Blogger. With Wordpress, it will take longer to set up and you will need to know how to install Wordpress on your server etc..
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Dina Riccobono[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue]MarketLeverage Marketing Manager
    Twitter: MarketLeverage / MLDina[/COLOR]

ABW Ambassador
    I'm going with the others who said to go with Wordpress. After that thread about blogger removing someone's post.. I stay away.

Hopefully your c-panel does install it for you.

As for if you should make it stand alone or not, it depends on what you are planning on doing. With wordpress you can pretty easily have other pages, for content, images, or whatever you want. But you could make it stand alone, and easily add pages later if you wanted.

Hmm.. hope that helped.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Debby - MarketLeverage Blogger
    With Wordpress, it will take longer to set up and you will need to know how to install Wordpress on your server etc..
    cpanel has a one click install, you don't need to know how to install anything, just click a button.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Blogger isn't on your domain or under your total control. That's the big difference. I am amazed at the number of companies running blogs on blogger instead of on their own domains. It doesn't make sense to me at all.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Hi purplebear

Your cpanel will let you install wordpress on your server.

Install it and then just link to it from the other pages on your site.

It will be on the Fantastico link.

Just tell it to install automatically and it will.
    Thanks BurgerBoy When I get myself ready to do this if I make any boo boos or have a problem.....will send out an SOS.

Thanks mellie, lostdeviant, beachcom, Debby - MarketLeverage Blogger, Hardaka and Loxly for all of your opinions.

" cpanel has a one click install, you don't need to know how to install anything, just click a button."

hmm, as you and BurgerBoy have suggested...sounds pretty simple....we'll see. lol If there's a way to screw it up....I'm sure I'm capable of that. lol Pretty sure I'm gonna go with WordPress... just gonna try to learn some more before starting since I know absolutely nothin. lol

Thanks a lot everybody, very much appreciated

Smile
    Go ahead and install it. It won't mess up what you already have on your website.

Then, you can play with it and figure it out.

If you don't like it when you play with it go back to Fantastico and tell it to un-install it and it will.

If you need any help let me know.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread