ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Take the Affiliate Survey and Support a Great Charity.
    NETexponent a leading performance marketing agency is launching an affiliate marketing research study conducted from the perspective of affiliates/publishers.

The goal of this survey is to give the affiliate community a clearer understanding of:

• How best to communicate with affiliates
    • What tools and information affiliates crave
    • Better understanding of who affiliates are and what challenges they face

If you are an affiliate or publisher and would like to provide your feedback, I encourage you to take the brief survey. In exchange for a few minutes of your time, NETexponent will provide you with a copy of the survey results.

In addition, for every completed survey, NETexponent will donate $1.00 to Team Affiliate Marketing’s fundraising efforts for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-day/60-mile walk. More information regarding the fundraising activities can be found at AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com.

What a great way to help shape agency best practices, strengthen affiliate relationships and help out a great charity at the same time.

To take the survey, click here

NOTE TO AFFILIATES: NETexponent respects the privacy of affiliates and only aggregate information will be shared.
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    Missy this is a great idea to raise money! How do you come up with these ideas? Jen and I have been trying to brainstorm some fundraising ideas... got any you can give us!?
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Dina Riccobono[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue]MarketLeverage Marketing Manager
    Twitter: MarketLeverage / MLDina[/COLOR]

I can't take credit for this one. It was Peter Figueredo's idea. (CEO of NETexponent).

I'm thrilled that he's doing the survey and I can't wait to get a copy of it. Plus, if he's willing to donate to the cause, I'm happy to promote it.
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com

How best to communicate with affiliates
    Well, they turned me off immediately. I have an email address that I only use for my domain registrations. That's it. The only way to get it is through whois lookups. It is on earthlink with spamblocker turned on. Today I received the email from netexponent about the survey. Earthlink labeled it a suspect email [Spam].

This is not the way for a marketing agency to communicate with me as an affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    Well, they turned me off immediately. I have an email address that I only use for my domain registrations. That's it. The only way to get it is through whois lookups. It is on earthlink with spamblocker turned on. Today I received the email from netexponent about the survey. Earthlink labeled it a suspect email [Spam].

This is not the way for a marketing agency to communicate with me as an affiliate.
    Hey Cathy,

Interesting indeed. I totally get where you're coming from because it's happened to me many times before by different companies. To be honest though, it really doesn't bother me to get mail that is related to my industry to those addresses. It only bothers me when it's complete junk.

But, out of curiosity, let's just say an affiliate manager of a company that you weren't currently working with (or an agency) wanted to get in touch with you to discuss a potential relationship, how would you prefer them to do so? Do you provide a way to do that on your sites through a contact form? (That's the way I do it on my sites.)

The only reason I ask is because many affiliate managers tell me that sometimes the only way to sometimes get in touch with the affiliate that owns the site is to do just what you're implying.

Although I certainly wasn't prepared for the thread to go this way, it is exactly the information that I think would be valuable if it was in the aggregated data that was going to be disseminated.
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

But, out of curiosity, let's just say an affiliate manager of a company that you weren't currently working with (or an agency) wanted to get in touch with you to discuss a potential relationship, how would you prefer them to do so?
    I have contact email addresses on all of my websites. And in fact, that did happen to me yesterday, an outsourced manager from abestweb contacted me (he didn't realize that it was my site and that he already knew me) and it didn't bother me in the least. I also get emails from China now trying to sell me product - I guess they can't tell the difference between a merchant and an affiliate.

But when I have an email address that is only on my whois, I will never do business with the person scraping it. It's probably been scraped and re-sold as an opt-in list when it is not. A marketing agency should know better than to be using lists that are not legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    But when I have an email address that is only on my whois, I will never do business with the person scraping it. It's probably been scraped and re-sold as an opt-in list when it is not. A marketing agency should know better than to be using lists that are not legitimate.
    Yeah, without knowing the circumstances on how they got your address, I'll withhold my comment.

That being said, I am anxious to see the data they put forward and appreciate the donation that they are making.
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Hi Missy
    Does it make a differenece if the person taking the survey does it after seeing your post and thru the link you have? I had already seen the survey somewhere else and did it already (before seeing your post)

I'd definitely like for their donation for me having done the survey to happen. Psssst....if it only were to count from the time you made your post if somebody doesn't want to do it, I'd be more than happy to take it for you so that it would count towards a donation.

Survey Taken
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Hi Missy
    Does it make a differenece if the person taking the survey does it after seeing your post and thru the link you have? I had already seen the survey somewhere else and did it already (before seeing your post)

I'd definitely like for their donation for me having done the survey to happen. Psssst....if it only were to count from the time you made your post if somebody doesn't want to do it, I'd be more than happy to take it for you so that it would count towards a donation.
    Hey Purplebear -- unfortunately it only counts if it goes through the link I posted in this thread. But, thank you for trying to swing that buck to our fundraising efforts
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Survey Taken
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

I was unable to complete this flawed survey, because it includes a question that demands 3 responses from a short list that doesn't include 3 acceptable answers.

> 7. Please choose your Top three Technologies from the list below.
    Commission Junction, Performics, Buy.At, Zanox, ShareASale, DirectTrack, Pepperjam, Kowabunga, LinkShare.
    <

I absolutely refuse to do business with 5 of the 9 companies listed (CJ, Pfx, PJ, KB, LS), and I don't have meaningful experience with 3 more (Zanox, DT, Buy.at).

There are a number of well-respected affiliate technologies (networks) omitted from the list.

When I tried to submit the form with only one company (SAS) checked, it was rejected.

I'm sure that others would simply fill their three by checking companies they have limited experience with (perhaps just to make sure that the promised charitable donation is made) -- but this distorts any results and renders the survey less meaningful.

The survey is unfair, and I don't think anyone in the industry should respect the results.

Awwwwh, I'm sorry. definitely woulda waited if I had known.
    Don't wanna sound critical of the survey but do admit it did have one teeny boo boo in it. (hmm probably not a teeny one to Gary, tho) I don't know Peter and am sure he doesn't have a clue who I am but I made a post where I saw about the post about the survey (not sure it got posted tho lol ) and when they emailed me I emailed them back and told em.

Regarding the affiliate technologoies: they didn't include AvantLink which I think was a big mistake. Told them I was only teeny but I know some of the biggies agree with me. Don't wanna go naming names cos they can speak for themselves but if a person were to go to the AvantLink forum here, you'll see some of the biggies posting very nice remarks regarding the technology AvantLink uses. Just think Gary, Scott, etc. shoulda been recognized for that and included with the others.

pssst...if they'd do another survey and include them, I'd take the survey again for the donation for you

Regardless.....come on guys....this is for a very good cause. I realize you're all very busy but it'll only take ya a few minutes to do the survey.....so do it, pretty please

Survey done.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I also took the survey several days ago, and following up from Mark's comments, the fact is that to continue with the survey, you have to make a certain number of choices, usually as I remember, 3, for several of the questions, and despite many of these questions having an "other" selection where you can write in your choice, it does not count as one of the 3 required selections, so that if you use the "other" option, you still have to pick 3 others, even if none of them is correct. I remember one question where I would have picked none of the provided selections, but in order to voice my opinion I picked 3 and wrote my answer in the "other" space and added something to the effect like "do not count the other selections, I only checked them because there was no other way to proceed".

I see the survey as fatally flawed.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Survey Completed.
    Hope they can call ###-###-#### phone number. N/A

Thanks everyone. I'll touch base with the CEO on your feedback as well.
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    Missy ~ Will you be able to post how much money we raised through the survey? I am curious as to how much money was raised from it.
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Dina Riccobono[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue]MarketLeverage Marketing Manager
    Twitter: MarketLeverage / MLDina[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Debby - MarketLeverage Blogger
    Missy ~ Will you be able to post how much money we raised through the survey? I am curious as to how much money was raised from it.
    As soon as the survey is closed, I sure will.
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread