CJ should provide new merchants with some basic SEO/SEM 101 information
    I see this happen all the time... some new merchant signs up for CJ and says they welcome search engine marketing but then list some really generic keyword such as "love" or "fitness" or "food" as a protected keyword.

Yeah right - sign up for their program and lose the right to bid on the most basic keywords... I'll pass on that kind of welcome any day...

Not to mention tons of crippling restrictions on direct linking, display url use, and so forth... welcome is a relative term I guess.

Some basic pamphlet advising merchants as to how not to shoot their affiliate program in the foot on the first day would probably be a good idea.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Have you tried reaching out the program's manager and sharing your concerns? For example, I certainly wouldn't encourage my affiliates to bid on "halloween" -- WAY too generic. But I'm all about "halloween costumes for kids," "halloween decor ideas," etc...

Maybe that's what the program manager was trying to explain; to bid on phrases that include those terms, not the words themselves.

No. The program managers in question are just clueless. Some people are. Live with it.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Sadly have to agree
    Not that I spend alot of time on SEO SEM - im more focussed on some sites - but I have not yet met an affiliate manager who seemed to understand these issues. My Sense is live with it - and try to find the better ones in the barrel.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kceleb9
    Not that I spend alot of time on SEO SEM - im more focussed on some sites - but I have not yet met an affiliate manager who seemed to understand these issues. My Sense is live with it - and try to find the better ones in the barrel.
    There are many affiliate managers that understand these issues

I've never seen a program have very generic terms in their negative keyword lists - Mind listing some? Also, not sure why you included SEO in the title, as that has nothing to do with the post.
    Not to mention tons of crippling restrictions on direct linking, display url use, and so forth... welcome is a relative term I guess.
    Allowing affiliates to use the merchant's display URL isn't a crippling restriction. Most merchants do this so affiliates don't hinder the merchant's direct SEM campaigns. As an affiliate, I love merchants who allow direct linking, but as a merchant, I see the other side. Anyway, it doesn't take much work to create a quick landing page. Direct linking is usually just included because the affiliate program is going by the rules that Google & MSN have, where direct linking means that you'd have to use the display URL of the advertiser's site. Yahoo is fine for direct linking, even if you use another URL.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread