ABW Ambassador
    Just wondering how many affiliates do this. I've had some merchants inquire about advertising on my site, posting deals and such. Who knows how much you would make if they had an affiliate program, maybe more than they would pay you to advertise, maybe less. The thing i like about it is you get paid $$$ before you even put up a link to the merchant. No worrying about tracking, parasites, hardly any competition since most affiliates don't venture past the network merchants. I'm going to take some time this weekend and try to figure out a fair amount to charge so we're both happy. Something to look into.

ABW Ambassador
    >hardly any competition since most affiliates don't venture past the network merchants.

WISE WORDS

the networks

ABW Ambassador
    ya know, the more I think about your situation the better it gets.

Most merchants have sophisticated ad tracking software that could track the sales from their ads on your site/sites. Why not charge them a nominal up front fee of a couple of hundred dollars and then take a percentage of the sales.

I'm sure that, since they would have no "overhead", you could get more than the networks offer for a competing product.

Ask for access to their ad tracking backend to see your stats.

Just a thought.

Yes, I've had a few inquire about advertising. I've wondered what would be the right amount to charge. Let us know if you have any luck with this idea.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Why wait for them to approach you, www.marketbanker.com .......

- - - - - - - - -
    This is your affiliate network -
    This is your affiliate network on Parasites -

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I also get a few inquires a day and have no idea what to charge for something like that.

I would be interested in hearing how others do it.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I've never had anyone ask to advertise on my sites. Well with google deciding it's a bad neighborhood but they don't know the half of it. There is a crack dealer on nearly every page and pimps * bho's working the corners.

No seriously isn't cpm the way to figure the numbers?

How much did I really make?

I've had a couple of general enquiries, but typically for sites that don't generate much traffic, oddly enough.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

We've had more than we can handle, and found ourselves raising prices every other month or so. Merchants are now waiting in line (upwards of 3 months) for certain spots.

It's definitely worth at least considering taking direct advertising. Just take a little time and write up a short "info sheet" for yourself. Outline your goals, what you have to offer, etc. That way, you can evaluate how it's going on a quarterly basis. I'd suggest considering at least:

1. How many ad spaces do you have? What size is each?
    2. How much do you want to charge (to begin with)?
    3. How much of a discount do you want to give for merchants who sign on for longer contracts (3 months, 6 months, 1 yr, etc)?
    4. What kind of merchants do you think would benefit the most from advertising on your site?
    5. What "added benefit" can you give to merchants who want to advertise with you? Why advertise with you instead of someone else?
    6. What limitations and regulations do you want to impose?

I've found merchants these days that want to direct advertise are most interested in doing a flat fee, not CPM (unfortunately). However, with some flexibility and imagination, this can account for at least a reasonably sized chunk of your overall revenue stream.

ABW Ambassador
    I have played with this idea in the past with marginal success. I got quite a few advertisers but it in no way could compete with Affiliate marketing and resulted in major leakage.

Here is a link to the system I set up. Feel free to use whatever you like from there. I conditionally retract all copyright notices and allow full copying / idea harvesting for ABW members only! and only for that portion of the site. You can see that the idea is based on other marketing areas but is changed to target monthly, yearly, quarterly pre-paid listings on a recurring subscription basis.

The site is now defunct as I havent updated it in a year or so due to my focus being elsewhere so I apologise for the outdated coding.

List Your Site

(Mods please feel free to remove the link or post if it infringes on ABW ToS in anyway.)

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Parasiteware - Any software, process or method that aims to make money by avoiding any involvement in the sales process apart from hijacking transactions that have been created by the hard work of others.</font>

ABW Ambassador
    A flat fee is what would be the best approach for most advertisers.
    This fee depends on your traffic and where and how you place the ad link.

here's what happened to me recently.

I respectfully asked a cj merchant for an increase in commission since I was generating a number of sales for them. I did not get a response. I felt dis'ed. A few days later (by coincidence), I got an inquiry from another merchant about advertising on my sites. I explained to the merchant that I was selling X amount of dollars in widgets for this CJ merchant... pay me XXXX amount of dollars and ALL the traffic is yours. This amount was about 10% of last month's widget sales. They took me up on it.

Here is the thing of it. Their site really kind of sucks compared to the cj merchant. Their prices are comparable, though. Anyway, you would not believe how happy this new merchant is with his sales and conversions. They gave me a couple days of numbers, and I was kind of surprised too. Their sales were really good. This leads me to believe that not only was the original CJ merchant not giving me the love I deserved, but they were also not paying out on all their sales.

Anyway, I am REALLY happy to be getting a lot more money from another source. I feel a bit more secure when I receive checks from different companies too. I also got to stop sending sales to a company that did not see fit to respond to my emails. I also am helping out a smaller merchant, which, heck, makes me feel like a good guy!

ABW Ambassador
    " I also am helping out a smaller merchant, which, heck, makes me feel like a good guy!"

Yes it's nice, i've emailed the merchant in question and we worked out a deal we're both happy with. On the pages i'm putting links up i just took the monthly commissions i made on that page/# of merchants on the page and charged the average commissions. My first merchant i'm doing this with is a family owned toy company that has had some national press and have just started offering coupons on their site. It's nice working with merchants most of my competition don't have without the networks getting in the way cutting into their profit margin. See affiliate marketing is more than networks, network merchants and big brands.

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm, I've had a few inquiries as well , with them wanting to know how to get their product or product line featured in my "online catalog" , and on such and such a page .

I have no idea what would be fair to charge, or even how to go about it exactly, but I have wondered if this is something I should be thinking about as well .

One might think that the price to charge would depend on the sheer volume of daily traffic one could bragg about , but we all know that untargeted traffic is not much good after all.

My problem is that while I could offer highly targeted traffic which "could" be a perfect match for the prospective small-time operators/paying advertisers, I can only deliver a low volume of this targeted traffic on a daily basis ,and realisticaly, using click-thru comparisons from the ad networks on these same pages, probably anywhere from 10-50 clicks per day ,(that's NOT a visitor count per page, just a guesstimate on how many clicks a particular product link on targeted pages may recieve ) , of course, depending on visitor interest and placement on the page as well .

What do you suppose the going rate for this kind of traffic would be on a monthly basis , or is it worth anything at all ?

ABW Ambassador
    It's hard to figure out what to charge. I'm working on a page for merchants who want to advertise. Different amounts depending on if they just want a text link, 468x60 banner, front page, above the fold, in my newsletter, that kind of thing. I'm just going to have a link to the advertising page on all my pages, set the amounts and see what kind of interest. It will take some fine tuning on what to charge and what kind of interest in generates, depending on what i'm charging. Later i might try something like http://www.marketbanker.com but right now prefer to do it on my own

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Trusty:

All our banners are either CPM, part of a bundled package or part of a sponsorship. [We don't use affiliate banners in our rotation; we only use contextual or straight text links]. Our CPM rates vary according to volume and the pages and/or section they want the ad to run in. But individual advertisers are on a CPM rate card. We constantly tweak those rates, based on demand and other market conditions, but we're getting a lot more than the typical national rate, which I believe is somewhere around $1 - $3 CPM.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

This is funny, recently I was thinking of setting up a site just for this purpose, advertising on my other sites. I have quite a few areas covered and thought maybe something like this would work, set up pricing and have them email me their info, etc.
    I setup an account at marketbanker and had some inquiries of people wanting to advertise on my site, but forgot all about it until elbowcreek mentioned it just now. Dang it.
    Man, too much to do and too little time.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread