Merchants offline = stock market indicators?
    I noticed tonight that there were more merchants offline than the norm?

Anyone else noticed that?

I know the market didn't do too well today but for it to have an immediate effect seems unlikely. So it just *bleep* that they are offline and means if someone clicks I don't get the credit. So what to do?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I know that things are nor rosey for a lot of people and companies. i am sure that you will see a direct relationship when it comes to the economy and merchants that are filling chapter 8/11 or being deliquent. In this case, going offline.

My 2 cents to you is find a company with an active and trustworth program manager, before something will hit the fan, he/she will notify you before you see the effect.
    Other than that, if you are an affiliate and you see the merchant going offline for 1, 2 times... it's time to look for their competitor.

All the best

A few merchants go offline temporarily and do come back on so you just wait to see before you pull their links. So now I just have to decide whether I will do that and if so when. With multiple merchants it is harder to do. If I had them in popshops, it is easier to do but these ones I don't.

I have found that it helps to contact the merchants directly when they are "Temporarily Offline", because sometimes they don't know that. Some of them have set up Auto Deposit and then their card gets a new expir. date and does not auto deposit anymore until they log in and update their info. Would be nice if they were getting a notice anytime they hit that status.

A company with sound business practices will do well, regardless of the economy or stock market. Companies don't go out of business or file bankruptcy because of the economy, they go out of business because they haven't been following good and basic business principles.

There's almost never a good excuse, they just couldn't cut it as a business, and blaming it on the economy is just that, an excuse.

2busy is exactly right about directly communicating with an offline merchant -- on numerous occasions I have done that and have been told in reply that they had not even realized that they had gone offline. I'd also suggest that when you notify an offline merchant, that you strongly recommend to them that they go to "auto deposit", to lessen the likelihood of the offline status happening again anytime soon.

BTW, if they don't respond to your message via the SAS control panel, then you may need to notify them by going through the "contact" page on the merchant website.

Re Mr C's observation, I would agree if this were a normal business cycle, but by any definition we are in difficult times so even well run companies are taking huge hits. To say that a company going under is ONLY the fault of the people running it and has no bearing on the extraordinary external factors is to not take into account the big picture, including: gas prices that will soon be $5/gal (USA); falling stock prices; a housing market implosion; collapsing dollar; rising food prices (and everything else too, due to the cost of energy); rising unemployment (the biggest gain last month in 2 decades); credit card debt at unprecedented levels; etc etc.

Yes, some (perhaps many) companies -- both online and realworld -- are poorly managed. But many others are suffering the slings & arrows of bad news, bad news, and more bad news -- if it doesn't stop soon, the "offline merchants" situation here at SAS may be an ongoing daily problem that only gets progressively worse.

Hope I'm wrong over the long run, but one thing is for sure -- right now it ain't pretty.

There's winners and losers in every economy. What's bad for one company is good for another, someone's closed door is someone else's opportunity; if the pendulum swings toward something, it must also swing away from something. Therefore, if you're talking in terms of the big picture, I'd argue there's no such thing as a good or bad economy. Instead, there's different kinds of opportunities at any given time.

It's only when you narrowly limit your focus to a single company, market or country that you see things in terms of profit or no profit and thus good or bad.

A good example is the US housing market crises. Cripes, I have to say what happened is the most retarded thing I've ever heard of in my life, I can't believe the sheer amounts of stupidity involved....but on the other hand, well, now you've gone from a seller's market to a buyer's market.

Oil prices sky high? Well, those companies/countries/markets that have heavily invested in reducing their oil dependency and/or improving efficiency (same thing) are obviously looking good now. (The US, sadly, is looking very scary in that department...)

On SAS, since the focus tends to be small companies and niche markets, I'd think we have a tremendous opportunity to learn first hand what new trends are emerging around the change in the economy.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread