Lightbulb Extreme Newbie with domain name registration question...
    Hello everyone,

First of all I want to say that over the last few weeks I have read, and learned, a lot from all of you. I also wanted to say that this is a great site for those like myself that are completely new to the online marketing profession.

I was looking for a few domain names today and stumbled upon one that I think would be a really good name to own. I would eventually use it for a site of my own, but until then I would most likely just park it.

An example of the name I found is runningwithnike.com

This is not the name I found but the one I found is similar in make up. In other words, it has a brand name within it. I don't want to get into trouble with any kind of copy write or trademark laws, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these types of domain names, and would they have any advice for me.

If anyone has any advice, that would be great! If not, at least I made my first post and said hello...

Hi gentryt. Welcome to ABW, a great place to hang out, earn and share...

To attempt an answer to your question... There are hundreds, probably hundreds of thousands, of similarly structured domains out there; and most of them are left alone by the brand/trademark owner. Should you choose to use the name to which you referred you may get lucky and have no one bother you.

On the other hand, the prudent one, you should stay away from a domain like that because you just may have someone (the brand/trademark owner) come along and take it from you. If you work hard and develop a successful site around that domain you would almost assuredly lose it - along with all of the hard work you put into making the site an "attention getter."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Question
    Hi Beachy!

That was a really fast response!!

I understand, and agree, that working to build up a site only to have it taken away would be hard to swallow.

While this may not be the place to ask this next question, what about buying the name to resell? Do you have any thoughts on this type of thing?

Thanks again for responding so quickly...

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hi, gentryt, and welcome to ABestWeb.

Glad to see you asking this question, and I agree with Beachy.

A few weeks ago a noobie put up a site review request with a similiar type domain name, and I raised the issue of using another company's trademark name in his domain, and not only was the poster indignant, but another noobie said he didn't ask for a lecture and he can name his site whatever he wants.

Well, I do not think he can.

As to your next question, though, I don't think there is a problem raised by just registering a domain. If not active, and if the company "related" to the name raised the issue and demanded the name, you'd only be out the registration fee. If it were parked, though, they could claim they have been damaged by it being active and drawing traffic from their actual site.

If you only register the name and then sell it, it would be unlikely you could be on the hook for the purchaser's actual use of the domain.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thumbs up I already love this site!!
    AffiliateHound,

Thank you for your advice on the subject. I didn't think about having issues for parking the name, but your explanation makes a lot of sense. I think I will just register the name and put it up for sale without parking it.

Again, thanks to both of you for your advice.

T

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread