Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Mrs Poon and I were talking last night and as usual, I had made some comment regarding the topic of parasites, crooked merchants, networks pushing parasites, or something along those lines.

I should remember exactly was it was but I don't - sorry.

The thing that hit me was of how these topics here have become so "un-common" it's almost like they are now accepted as a standard practice and the good old hell raising we used to do are now only whimpers among a small group. Have we as a group really become so complacent in regards to this topic that we just decided to not waste any more time discussing it?

There have been a couple of great posts asking networks to respond - which they never do and instead of these posts garnering support, most quickly fall to the bottom of the list and off the radar screen. If I told you I wasn't disappointed in this I'd be lying. Don't worry, we still love all of you guys and gals (well not all) but we're still here because it is the place to be, to learn and to keep up with what's going on!

As usual, I'm long winded sorry so let me get to my point. I wondered in consideration of the complacency "what if" most people on this board updated their signature to "in some way" voice their displeasure with the common acceptance of theft against affiliates by our trusted third party networks.

The Mrs and I have long been stating our objections to the lack of enforcement "that seems like normal operating procedure" by the COC and you can see what I think about merchants who partner with parasites, undermine the affiliate contract and openly allow diversions to occur on their site.

So "What if" many of us openly voiced our displeasure simply via our sigs?

Would this garner any support? Would it draw more attention to the topic? Would it encourage networks to respond to the hard questions that have been asked over and over that they have failed to answer? Would they
    perhaps change their policies if they felt their was so much open displeasure stated against their polices that perhaps they would consider changing them?

What If? I sure don't know the answer but sure do wonder. We can do a couple of things here....

Let this stupid post fade away like many of the others - , you can consider updating your sig to join up with us in regard to this effort, you could do nothing or you might even want to contribute to topic and make it hang around so I can win a frikin t-shirt too.

The choice of course is up to you.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

Poon, there's not a day passes when I don't think and wonder about the parasite issue.

Back in the old CJ days I remember running around like a blue a*sed fly trying to motivate and inform merchants and aff's about the dangers parasites presented and unless we stopped them it would be open slather.

After hitting a number of brickwalls I came to realize I could rant and rave till the cows came home, and sure there would be a number of merchants with ethics who would do the right thing, but until a legal precedent is set the majority would hide behind the letter of the Law.
    I get annoyed, mad and frustrated at the unfairness of it but I've come to accept
    as an aff, and this being my livelhood, I needed to be able to adapt to whatever parasitic bloodsuckers emerge until they get their just rewards.

Until then...here's my new Sig

Parasites Suck!

Affiliate Manager
    I'll add it to my sig file right now Poon- always good to keep in the public eye

Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://ian.com

Affiliate Manager
    Ok- new sig

Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    A parasite free contract since June 2001
    http://ian.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Poon ...my signature line is basically my only form of branding. I try to pitch in my displeasure over the B-a-HO's and their network DUPER partnerships and secret alliances. Charlie is enrolled in a anger management class as he's gone from a chest feather plucker to breaking window panes with sunflower seeds when I tell him the BHO's have stolen his allowance ...again.

Maybe Bill Gates will come to ABW and decide to Buy up CJ,LS and BF and make Charlie the CEO and Andy Rodriguez the marketing director on the combined network. Makes sense as he looses billions from processing e-mail spamm, computer backdoor trojan horse viruses and from IE Browser plugins crashing his windows based systems....all monitized and enabled by these affiliate networks.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

@Mousejockey -- blue a*sed fly --

Poon - I wasn't here for the "good old days," but I'd hate to see the issue fade into the background.

New sig attached.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

I'm with y'all!

YOURsoft affiliate software
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    A good parasite is a dead parasite. Screw it up and you're screwed!
    Save your affiliate program, save your earnings; Fight ParasiteWareâ„¢!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[This message was edited by c4 on September 04, 2003 at 12:03 PM.]

I totally agree Poon and Mrs.Poon (I nearly forgot about her hammer swinging exploits)
    So I decided to alter mine to:-

All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!
    I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks to all who helped above and the ones who follow that get on board with this.

Many of us have spent countless hours fighting parasites and arguing with the networks (and amungst ourselves) over the issue. "Ms B - you are my hero" and I do not want "their diverting our commissions" and the open arm acceptance of it by networks and many merchants to become a "nonworthy topic".

As a group we've failed miserably in addressing this topic "effectively" and seem to hardly ever get a real concensous on the best way to address it and move forward.

I'm hoping that we can at least get some kind of conscensous on a sig change since adding a line or two will not effect your earnings or your ability to compete or even cost you $1. .

Join the revolution today!

PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

New Sig

"Join up with Parasites -
    It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

How about "because of parasites I had to change my sig"?

Thanks to the parasite shakedowns I enjoy a part of what I earn.

ABW Ambassador
    New Sig

Mad Doctor Gfufy

Parasitewareâ„¢ Support The Fight

I'm still a little confused as to why everyone seems so passionate about this topic but, month after month, continues to send the majority of their traffic to 3rd parties that don't care. Any action to help fight parasiteware is a good one but they are all for not if you keep expanding the marketshare for companies that, time and time again, have avoided your questions while they send your commissions to people who steal from you remotely.

You want to make a real change? Sacrifice a little short term profitability and start doing business with people that support your views. It might take a while to stock your sites with sponsors who share your beliefs but the rewards will be grand and, hopefully, after losing allot of business, those 3rd parties will listen. The odds of your sig file initializing a change are pretty slim considering everyone says they never get any responses back to their emails.

You want to make an impact? Hit them in the wallet.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com

Poon (and Mrs Poon)...

I'm new to this business and I'm glad I discovered ABW at the time I entered affiliate marketing. It's been a real education.

The plain facts (as far as I can see) are:

1) Merchants make a lot of money from Parasites
    2) Networks make even more money from Parasites.

We might be able to persuade a few ethical Affiliate Managers to do the right thing (though they have a constant battle to justify their position, and they ultimately do not control the purse strings).

We sure as hell will not influence the Networks. They answer to shareholders and can't see further than $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Part of the appeal of this business, for me, is the ability to decide who I affiliate with and who I don't affiliate with. I am tired of the modern working environment - I see companies making so many disastrous short-term decisions to make more money in the next six months - screw the future, screw the well-being of the employees who are burning out under the pressure of working with ever fewer resources and ever greater demands and ever more complex software systems which too often turn the simplest task into a nightmare.
    Sorry, went into a and got off track.
    I think that's the great strength of a forum like ABW - it's a platform for ranting - and that is a very necessary way to let off steam. But, we ain't going to make any difference to the networks. They rub it in our faces with Ebates Success Story articles on their home page. To a public who don't begin to understand the technology or issues involved here, what will carry more credence - an 'official' endorsement like that from an established network, or the 'rantings of a vocal self-interested minority' - which is how we are portrayed and perceived too readily.
    I'm not saying don't do anything, just, don't expect it to achieve a great deal....

Small things, yeah, we can do that.

I have to get a signature, before I can add to it

I think King Guffster's is perfect. Short and to the point. Makes me want to follow the link.

Joe:

You know my stand on AF, and that's why I go out of my way to promote your offers! As we move more deeply into the AM waters, I am constantly on the look out for parasite-infested merchants. I don't know that we're 100% parasite-free, but we're working on it.

I think efforts to keep the topic at high visibility are important because it does tend to get lost in the white noise at times. It will never become an actionable issue for some, but for those who could be moved, every effort should be made.

p.s. When do the August checks get sent?

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Great post Poonster! You got me teary eyed there for minute.

It does become very frustrating at times. Lord knows I've lived through those moments. But every 'little' step forward does make a big difference. All those little steps do add up. That really hit home for me when I was putting together the timeline for the abw anniversary and saw how many things had actually changed for the better. Of course, not saying that much more still needs to be done.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Greed destroyed human race!

Join the battle to fight the scums if you want your livelihood protected, voice your opinion, get in to the group.

The ABW is here to stay and to police the wrong doing of those greedy !

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you Happypoon for the call to arms. I read this thread last night and didn't respond to it due to complacency and that feeling of helplessness at the sheer volume of this thing that threatens us.

I am posting now as I have seen the support it is getting. I guess this makes me a sheep but better late than never.

Once again, Thank you.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Parasiteware - Any software, process or method that aims to make money by avoiding any involvement in the sales process apart from hijacking sales that have been created by the hard work of others.</font>

What can I do to stop parasites?

How much did I really make?

ABW Ambassador
    Imagine 10,000+ anti parasite sigs? That would be nice

Javi

-------------
    <font color=blue size="1">Ladies and gentleman you are being robbed every day and you know it
    but you are not doing anything about it. When is enough, enough?
    Parasiteware.com - Join the fight</font>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm still a little confused as to why everyone seems so passionate about this topic
    You want to make a real change? Sacrifice a little short term profitability and start doing business with people that support your views.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, I can only say it is you who must be a little confused.

First, I do support you and your efforts and I am converting to provide more business to you and others who are parasite free. But.... the facts are that most affiliates in here will not drop established relationships with merchants who partner with parasites if they make income from them. Some will not even drop them if they make 5 dollars a month with a merchant. These practices may or may not be right but each individual affiliate has their own right to make the decision and most have already said - they will do business as usual!

I feel like if the COC did their job and had policies that really disallowed diversions of users and overwriting of cookies - I should be able to partner with anybody I please. The obvious lack of enforcement and them not knowing how long 60 days is well thats something else altogether.

As you say, "The odds of your sig file initializing a change are pretty slim" but it's a protest I make with every post on this board and it is a visible sign that at least some affiliates are highly preterbed at the abuse and deciet we are handed what seems to be every day with non enforcement continuing.

I myself get a great deal of satisfaction from my sig change and knowing I am openly voicing my complaints against the gross injustices I feel occur to affiliates every single day!

I wish your offerings were more in line with what I call respectible products but what I see is that most of them are the junk email I get over and over month after month.

So with that said if you think I'm going to drop a relationship I make significant money with to advertise to my customers what I consider email trap campaigns you're the one confused. My perceptions may be completly wrong of course but they are "my perceptions".

ABW Ambassador
    Let me play devils advocate. It's legal and they (shopping application affiliates) drive lots of sales. For any real change to happen there has to be more than a "this just isn't right" argument. Merchants will drop affiliates that hurt their brand in some way or if it is ever proven in court that what's happening is illegal. But right now it's legal and it isn't hurting the brand and they make lots of money. I think its wrong and don't like it but current law > my opinion. A few merchants will change but as long as its legal no change will happen. Don't look to the networks to do anything because they get their cut no matter where the sale comes from. For the majority of merchants there has to be more than "it's just wrong" The COC is nothing, it isn't a legal document is it? In the end what's happening now is legal, maybe not right but legal.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I guess this makes me a sheep but better late than never. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be a sheep - they get slaughered every day too!

Glad to see you've joined the revolution.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    When I go to join a new merchant, the very first thing I say to them is, that I sell thousands of dollars worth of product every month, but I do not work with merchants that allow predatory affiliates into their program. I then ask, what is your stance on parasites?

Invariably, they ask, "What's a parasite?", and I direct them to parasiteware.com . I tell them that, if they agree not to use parasites, I will begin to promote their site and sell products for them.

There still seems to be a massive amount of AMs that do not undertsnad the nature of this fight.

I would like to see an actual program here where merchants can become "ABW Approved" or "ABW Certified". To become certified, they would have to meet specific criteria.

Anyways, keep the fight up, you don't here from me much, but I'm workin' it every day.

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

ABW Ambassador
    Baaaaaaa!!!

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Parasiteware - Any software, process or method that aims to make money by avoiding any involvement in the sales process apart from hijacking transactions that have been created by the hard work of others.</font>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast