Thread: Registrar Transfer Issues - Help Please

Outsourced Program Manager
    Registrar Transfer Issues - Help Please
    Hi All,

One of our affiliates is having an issue and we're trying to help them out. They have a bunch of domains registered at "registrar 1", and would like to transfer them to "registrar 2". "Registrar 2" is asking for the EPP codes to authorize the transfer and states that "registrar 1" is required to provide them. However, "registrar 1" is being unresponsive. Is there any way the affiliate can hold their feet to the fire and get the necessary codes?

Thanks for your help!
    Best Regards,

Jon Nunez | President | AffiliateManager.com
    P: (682) 478-5882 | F: (407) 650-2820 |E: jon@affiliatemanager.com
    2013 Pinnacle Awards Affiliate Manager of the Year | LinkedIn
    Managed Programs | Request a Quote | Referral Program

Is there any option in the control panel at registrar 1 to generate the codes themselves? Do they have a FAQ that describes the transfer process?

I have run into this before and in the absence of the two things above, you just have to keep bugging them. I hope it works out for the affiliate!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Is there any option in the control panel at registrar 1 to generate the codes themselves? Do they have a FAQ that describes the transfer process?

I have run into this before and in the absence of the two things above, you just have to keep bugging them. I hope it works out for the affiliate!

Thank you for your response and help. The control panel does not offer a way to generate the code and the FAQ only talks about how to transfer to them not away from them. Thanks again for your help.
    Best Regards,

What's the name of registrar 1? If you don't want to post it here, PM me and I'll let you know if I have any experience with them.

Also, the affiliate might want to try contacting registrar 2 to explain the situation and see if there's a manual process they have for verifying ownership and transfer details.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

A worst case scenario is to complain to ICANN. Registrars are required to provide those transfer codes. But some definitely drag their feet, hoping to not lose the domain.

I personally will never do business with a registrar who "hides" needed information. Your client may have to jump through a couple of hoops to get the codes; but it is a good move on his part to change to a more responsive registrar.

It would be nice to know who the registrar is - so we can keep far, far away from them.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I had somewhat the same problem several months ago, where Registrar 1 was being unresponsive. I can't remember the details exactly.

I ended up calling Registrar 2 to make sure everything was good on the receiving end. Registrar 2 said the default was that without any codes, the domain will transfer, unless action is taken by the owner (or holding registrar). Registrar 2 said wait a few more days.

I waited a few more days and the domain transferred.

Hello Everyone,

I have shown all of your solutions to the affiliates who had this problem. They wanted me to personally thank you for all of your help. We really appreciate and it shows you can always count on good people for advice when you need it!
    Best Regards,

8. Newsletter Signup