Error "Bad Request" with Performics link in IE7
    Anyone else getting this error with their Permormics links in IE 7 (note: links work just fine in FireFox):
    ---------
    Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Cookie: xxxxxxx_very_long_stringxxxxxxxx
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at clickserve.cc-dt.com Port 80
    ----------

Clear you cookies and then go here: Bad Request for a little background.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks Rematt, clearing my IE cookies worked.

However I'm not sure customers clicking Performics affiliate links would actually know how to solve such an issue.

The error message is coming from the Performics servers. That message is not "user friendly" and gives no explanation on a possible solution (ie clear your cookies to proceed to the merchant and avoid this error message).

Quote Originally Posted by delsol
    However I'm not sure customers clicking Performics affiliate links would actually know how to solve such an issue.

The error message is coming from the Performics servers. That message is not "user friendly" and gives no explanation on a possible solution (ie clear your cookies to proceed to the merchant and avoid this error message).
    I agree, it wouldn't be intuitive at all to the typical user (hell, it's not to us). I'm not sure exactly how many Performics cookies you need before this problem appears but hopefully the typical customer wouldn't run into the issue.

Performics is aware of the issue and I believe that they are working on a solution.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

This has been an issue at Performics for almost a year. You'd think they could hire some code monkey to fix this issue in a day or two..

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    People need to stop recommended a blanket "clear your cookies" as solutions to browser problems.

Because when a surfer clears all his cookies, all our pending and potential affiliate commissions get trashed.

You should specific exactly what cookie needs manually deleting rather than getting surfers into the habit of blowing away even single damn cookie on their browser.

I have had the same trouble a couple of time after doing a bunch of work with Performics links. I am guessing that only us affiliates will see this problem, but hey it's only a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    People need to stop recommended a blanket "clear your cookies" as solutions to browser problems.

Because when a surfer clears all his cookies, all our pending and potential affiliate commissions get trashed.

You should specific exactly what cookie needs manually deleting rather than getting surfers into the habit of blowing away even single damn cookie on their browser.
    The recommendation was given to a fellow AFFILIATE, not a customer. The specific recommendation was given because the issue is caused by the presence of dozens or hundreds of PFX cookies which could be a nightmare to identify and clear individually. I assumed (possibly erroneously) that the OP had other things to do this month.

Affiliates are more vulnerable to this issue because we eat more PFX cookies while testing links and visiting our own sites. There is no data available that I know of that illustrates how many customers are affected by this issue, however I would suspect that frequent shoppers could run in to the same issue.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; June 10th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.

MODERATOR NOTE: This is a common enough problem that I've made this a sticky thread.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Rematt, I think Drewbert's comment was more a general statement. Since of course, your solution is the only reasonable one (and maybe even the only one, period). In IE there is no easy way, to my knowledge, to selectively delete cookies (without actually going to file system level and knowing a thing or two about how "cookie files" are named).

Still Drewbert is right, deleting all cookies is not an acceptable solution for any shopper.

It looks like by default IE 7 is limited to 20 cookies per domain. MS has developed a patch to increase that limit to 50. Those numbers are likely equal-or-smaller on IE pre-7. Still the physical limit does not change even with that patch: 4,096 bytes. It appears that past 20 cookies you might start to have issues.

The only acceptable way to handle this, since Performics is limited to one domain, would be to start deleting the older cookies once the "cookie size" gets close to 4 KB.

If that is not possible for legal reasons, then the server should explain to the user a solution on how to proceed with the link, the shopper was trying to follow (ie: You have reached the maximum limit for a cookie and need to delete your cookies in order to proceed, here is how you can do it....).

Besides this cookie issue, I'm still a little confused by the fact that the actual refusal of service is from the Performics Server. It does not look like the IE browser cookies limitation is actually the initial source of this error. The server is rejecting the HTTP request with " Size of a request header field exceeds server limit. "... so in other words the "huge" IE cookie (with many merchant/affiliate info inside of it) is being "passed/sent" to the Performics tracking server that is responding: "Dude, did you see the size of that cookie! This could be some hack attack, I will refuse service".

Whichever issue, like Code Monkey says, this should be a relatively simply fix for their development team. I'm suspecting developers at Performics have their plates more the full, but this is an important issue since it touches the core of their affiliate tracking mechanism.

ABW Ambassador
    I found this post because I wanted some information about the "Bad Request" message. I got it using Firefox, and I can't figure out how to change the settings so that I don't get this message. This is scary, because I am new to Firefox, and I just downloaded the program. I don't know if this means that everyone using Firefox has problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    I don't know if this means that everyone using Firefox has problems?
    I haven't seen the problem with Firefox and really don't think there is anything to worry about there. Feel free to PM me if you want to compare any Firefox settings.

Thanks for this post. I was about to scream because none of the links in my emails from merchants were working.

This is happening to me today. None of my affiliate links work and all give the error:

Bad Request
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
    Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

15 years and counting
    This is starting to piss me off BIG TIME.
    I'm fed up to delete my cookies just to add their stupid links.
    How a company bought by Google can't solve basic problem like that is ..? They can't even get in compliance affiliates like OneCause, no wonder they can't solve that.

The earliest reference I can find for this problem on ABW is March 2006. You'd think that over 2 years would be ample time to correct this issue.

-rematt

Agree with you, Zeus. Now that G. is in the house you would expect them to look into this. Maybe they were not aware of this problem...until now ?!?

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by delsol
    Agree with you, Zeus. Now that G. is in the house you would expect them to look into this. Maybe they were not aware of this problem...until now ?!?
    No way, I'm sure it's a burden for their own support people to have to answer the same question over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I have had the same trouble a couple of time after doing a bunch of work with Performics links. I am guessing that only us affiliates will see this problem, but hey it's only a guess.
    I agree with John. I've gotten this issue about 4 times in the past 2 years and it's only after pulling a lot of links from Performics and following them through. I don't think this issue would affect a typical "customer". Nonetheless, it doesn't seem like it would be a hard issue to get fixed.

>> I don't think this issue would affect a typical "customer"

you don't need many GAN cookies to have that error appear.

i think it is more of a problem for people who are active shopping/or checking various websites online

Will GAN cookies be deleted automatically by the browser after the "return day cookie period" ?

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread