PPL : Same Lead - Multiple Merchants?
    Hello fine people of ABW

there are a few PPL merchants in an industry that superCool is familiar with and he would like to get involved. the idea is to build a great site to capture SE leads and collect the information myself (my form), then send the information to each of the merchants. superCool would send the same lead to multiple companies and collect the PPL bounty from each. based on my non-AM experience in this industry, the vast majority of these leads will be high quality serious leads.

superCool is new to AM and has not tried PPL or seen much info on it. Is this strategy a common one and is it allowed? do merchants accept leads that are captured from external sites? superCool understands that different vendors will have different rules, but is this a common approach or taboo?

superCool awaits your wisdom

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Alan has a ppl program and Alan has some good AM's partnered with him in the program. Alan pays a high PPL because Alan expects that the leads Alan receives from his affiliates are unique / dedicated leads for Alan's program.

Alan thinks that selling the same leads to multiple merchants is an undesirable practice, and for that reason, to insure the quality of the leads, Alan requires that all leads AM's generate for Alan's program must be on Alan's form only.

Alan hopes that this helps Super Cool see the big picture that keeps a program ethical and long term. If leads for the same service / product are sold to multiple merchants, it's not long before the program is gone and it is immediate that the AM is gone. At least in Alan's program.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

There are a variety of issues you run into trying to do this. SuperCool collects information from visitors and re-distributes that information to pay per lead companies.

Does SuperCool tell the visitors who will get their information? Does SuperCool have a system in place to protect information SuperCool has gathered? Does SuperCool have a privacy policy that the visitor must accept prior to submitting their information stating their information will be made available to third parties?

All of the partners of SuperCool will have a terms and conditions that SuperCool has to agree to prior to joining. Most of those will state that SuperCool must send visitors to the partners site to enter information. Many will go so far as to specifically state that information entered must be done by the end user and can not be re-transmitted.

There are ways SuperCool could serve several masters in the PPL industry, but that is called co-reg and is a whole different ballgame.

Generally, stay SuperCool and let your visitors click through to the merchant site and do what they do...
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

thank you both for your replies, apparently superCool is not on the right track. Perhaps superCool should have provided more details…they may or may not matter but this is where I am coming from…..

The lead is a quote request for an expensive service

The way superCool sees it:
    - people search for information on the service and find superCool’s site
    - the site provides unique and valuable information (including price estimates and details) to further qualify customers and to satisfy the curious without wasting the merchant’s time
    - the site offers to send quote requests to a number of suppliers (chosen by customer)
    - the site explains where info will go and provides links to own privacy policy and the privacy policies of the merchant sites
    - the customer fills out the form once and it is passed to 3 or 4 vendors (of the customer’s choosing)
    - the customer does not have to fill out the form 3 or 4 times – saves time and effort and gets competitive bids
    - 3 or 4 merchants get the leads and now have a shot at winning the business
    - 1 of the merchants will probably win the business through superior product, service or price – 2 or 3 merchants will lose the deal
    - all of the merchants had a chance to land this big deal – that’s what they paid superCool for – the opportunity to win the customer

this was superCool’s approach as a PPL outsider….superCool thinks this is a valid strategy but understands that the industry might not work this way

superCool is honest and would not trick a customer or merchant

thanks again for your replies…more info is always welcome

a few more things

superCool has non-affiliate experience in the industry and knows he can gather lots of great leads. the website in question is in the planning stages and the monetization approach is still up in the air. superCool would rather participate in pay per sale, but this industry does not offer much in that area. PPL or advertising are probably the best options, and the site would be more useful to the customer if the quote requests were sent to more than one vendor.

the cards are probably stacked against superCool on this one, but he would like to give this industry a shot if he can make it work somehow. much to consider

thanks again for your time

Perhaps knight01 muisunderstood superCool.

Let me set up an example of something that would be valid and very entrepreneurial of superCool.

superCool has many connections in the area through the local chamber of commerce making them almost superCool. Some of these connections are business owners that do home improvements. Windows, siding, roofing...etc.

superCool using his superior marketing skills tells these home improvement companies that he can save them a lot of money on advertising and in fact help them make a lot of money. They like superCool. superCool will provide them with leads in the area that are homeowners, that need work or improvements. They only pay superCool $x for each lead.

superCool creates a website hometownhomeimprovements.com and drives traffic to it from ppc, seo and offline marketing. superCool then provides these leads to the businesses and sends them a bill monthly.

Works well, the consumer gets what they want, the businesses get what they want and superCool is rich.

If that is the general concept, it's all good in the neighborhood. If not, could superCool setup a scenario?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

yes knight01 that is pretty much it. when superCool was thinking of a scenario he thought of roofing companies that would all be interested in pitching for the same business leads. this is not really close to the industry but it is the general idea. the product has both local and worldwide aspects and superCool would be focusing on many local areas - similar to your scenario I think.

so maybe this is not traditional PPL and maybe this will not fit nicely into affiliate marketing, but in this case superCool believes it would be beneficial to all

As long as superCool is contacting the contractors directly and working the deal with them. It's all good, not really affiliate marketing in the sense we talk about here. But you could then setup an affiliate program and pay others to send visitors to your site.

This is already done by several companies, known as 'lead aggregators' in the home improvement industry, as well as many other industries. Nothing wrong with it in my book.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

thank you for putting a name on this for me.... superCool apologizes for confusing things with his ignorance and poorly detailed questions

more input from anyone?

ghoti thinks this thread is hilarious.
    --

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    ghoti thinks this thread is hilarious.

Third person discussion is always entertaining G! Or at least Alan thinks so.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Boomers believes superCool to be an imaginative nut.... with business sense.

X

you have to admit it's a bit creepy to constantly do the third person reference.
    I keep imagining being at a bar and having supercool come up to me, trying to buy me a drink...ick.

nut - yes
    business sense - yes (monkey variety)

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    I keep imagining being at a bar and having supercool come up to me, trying to buy me a drink.
    hmmm...so guinness618 daydreams of the superCoolster dropping by for a cool one....superCool likey (ignoring the "ick" part - probably a typo).

Meadowmufn thinks superCool should talk to each merchant the leads will be gathered for and ask if this approach is acceptable. Some merchants might approve, some might not.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Guinness618 does fantasize about SC. How could she not?
    I was distracted by such a fantasy when I inadvertently typed the wrong word (ick).
    What I meant to type was... "WOW!"

I do wonder why I suddenly crave a Burger King burger everytime I see SC's avatar pic...

oh Guinness618, you make superCool feel all warm inside....no wait...never mind, that was just the remnants of last night's knish

would it be too forward of superCool to add you to his buddy list? (insert cat purring sound here)

superCool would like to respond to the Burger King reference but some might think him naughty

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread