Newbie to Newbies: What I have learned so far.
    I hope the veterans don't mind this (and yes, I have broken my promise not to make another long post), but one of the ways I learn is to teach. And I believe I have something worth conveying to the newer newbies. I will rely on the moderators to move this to the correct place if this is in the wrong place.

To my fellow newbies:

First, take a look in the Voting Booth and look at the voting for "best thread of 2006." Then look at the thread "I don't believe that regular people are making good money online." In there, you will see the story of a typical newbie, who has been worked over by AM "experts," who has done everything wrong in AM and has come here to ABW and received really good help. This should encourage you that it is possible to make money in AM - as long as you are willing to do what is necessary in order to succeed. Namely, LEARN, THINK, and DO.

As it happens, besides having begun reading the ABW board now, I also read what books I can find on AM, even if they are little out of date or even wrong. (My eyes get tired of reading a computer screen and I do need to get out of the house sometimes. ) So I was reading "The E-code" by Joe Vitale and Joh Han Mok. It has 44 chapters written by 34 internet marketers, each chapter dropping some hints, and mostly about marketing through e-mail. Some of it is fluff. Some of it crap. But I did get few good ideas to try out that were suggested to me by some of the bad ideas. (I.e., I saw a better or more ethical way to do it.) Any way, one of the chapters belonged to Terry Dean and addressed AM. He had a description in his chapter of the typical Joe who tried AM and fails at it. Remarkably, the description reminded me of the newbie in the thread above.

What do I conclude from this? I conclude that it's not so much that the percentage of affiliates who are "Super Affiliates" is so low as that the percentage of "Under Affiliates" is so high. There are just a ton of people that come into AM without a real clue as to how it works. And they are really resistant to getting a clue.

Now why do I say that? I say that because I've been down this road before in the field of real estate, and then in the stock market, and now AM. I'm seeing the same phenomenon here that I saw there: any industry that has enough publicized instances of people making larger than average sums of money in a shorter than average period of time is going to attract a large number of people of a certain kind like flies on poop. And what kind are they? Psychiatrist Dr. Alexander Elder, the author of "Trading for a Living," and one time editor of "The Psychiatric Times," is a psychiatrist who is also a stock trader. He identifies this group by one of their qualities. "[losing] traders who have the autopilot fantasy [those who tend to buy "black box" trading systems that make their trading decisions for them] try to repeat what they felt as infants. Their mothers used to fulfill their needs for food, warmth, and comfort. Now they try to re-create the experience of passively lying on their backs and having profits flow to them like an endless stream of free warm milk."

From what I have seen in my 51 years on the planet so far, this appears to be a remarkably accurate assessment of the problem. There are more infantile people trying to get rich than there are adult people who can actually run a business. It has always seemed to me that in any group of adults in a room, the owners of businesses seemed like the most adult people in the room. I've seen that small businesses tend to be "paternal" (or "maternal"), and that small business owners really hate this because they end up doing most of the real work of the business. But none the less, they can't seem to break out of this mode because their employees keep putting them in the role of daddy or mommy. In the old newspaper cartoon "Blonde," the relationship between Mr. Dithers and Dagwood Bumstead is not that of employer and employee but that of all-competent and responsible father and incompetent, unreliable son.

The infantile group has two other problems that Dr. Elder points out. He says that the unstructured nature of the markets (like the unstructured nature of having your own business) naturally brings out of most human beings a series of universal myths. The auto-pilot myth is one of them.

The other is the cult of personality myth. People talk about wanting to be free, being their own boss, and making their own decisions. But when pressure is put on them from a series of losses, the first thing they go looking for is a guru to tell them how to fix all their problems. This is the illogical fantasy that someone else is willing to make one rich in the time he or she could put into making themselves richer.

The third myth is the myth of under-capitalization. "It takes money to make money" they complain. While that is true in general, it is also true that someone who is operating under the autopilot myth and the cult of personality myth will lose a large amount of money as easily as a small amount of money.

The winners in business are those who can figure for themselves the cheapest way to construct, test, and then operate their business model without going broke.

So what does this mean for the newbie? It means that the newbie has to make sure his head is on straight and that he is really a mature person who can make his own decisions and evaluations. He must be able to construct his own business model from the best information available [RESEARCH!], evaluate and test it, and then execute and monitor it. None of this can really be delegated. It is the core of what having a business is about.

And there is no "hidden secret," and no "magic bullet." If you look very carefully, you'll realize that searching for a hidden secret or a magic bullet is the same thing as having "the automatic pilot" fantasy. You're looking for a "black box" way of doing AM that's ready-made and doesn't require of you any taxing thinking or working. In long run, and even the short run, a "black box" will only give you a black eye. (If you are lucky).

I like the analogy Terry Dean makes in another chapter of "The E-Code." He says that some newbies to AM are like a person who goes up to a college professor and says "Hey doc, tell me what the secret of brain surgery is, and make it snappy, my favorite TV show is coming on in one hour." Put that way, you can see the utter stupidity of asking to be shown "the secret." Continuing his analogy, Terry Dean compares learning AM to taking all the college courses needed to pick up the knowledge and skills required to eventually perform brain surgery successfully. Success in AM is not in one thing, it's in the constellation of things that each marketer has done in his life in order to learn how to do it. So each AM success is unique and unrepeatable.

I, myself just realized today that what I am doing now feels very much like when I was in college learning computer science. I'm reading books like "the E-code" for one hour. Then I'm reading a book on marketing another hour. Then I'm apply what I learn to my latest version of my my website. Then I'm spending another hour learning more about constructing websites. And then at night I'm prowling through this board catching up on what's already been written here. And now I'm writing a little essay to clear things up in my head. Its college (or high school) all over again.

I think the best test you can give yourself to determine whether you are mature enough to run a business on your own and keep at it is to look at the boss you currently have, if you have one. Ask yourself: "Do I chaff under my boss because he gives me the same kind of vibes my parents did? Or do I chaff under my boss because I know I can do his job better than he can and I know I can go further then he ever will." I've noticed that people who have successful businesses of their own are often people who seem to have a congenital aversion to having a boss. But the irritation at being bossed around is never, by itself an indicator of being able to handle true independence.

As Dr. Elder said "The market is not your mother. It consists of tough men and women who look for ways to take money away from you instead of pouring milk into your mouth."

Learn, think, do.

Newbie!!!!
    Hi,

Dude, Nice post. Yes the post is a bit lengthy but is also quite informative and also very much useful to the newbies here. Thanks for the post.

Thanks,
    Connel.

No Longer Banned!
    Newbies Must Study Study Study & NOT learn ?...
    This did not exactly apply to me. Though you said what I have often said. People really DON'T wanna be free. Interesting.

One thing that I realised early on is that a big part of success is the sharing of knowledge & ideas. Gathering several points of view.

You can read/ work 18 hours a day & go in circles. The conversation is critical indeed.

This seems to happen in many cases only if you are liked a lot.

Again, it did not really apply to me, but I must say a little validation was cool.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Affiliate Manager
    I know what you mean. I happen to be a merchant. I am trying to figure out how to invigorate my affiliate program as I am writing. Owning a online business and trying to figure out what works compared and what is garbage does take a lot of research. I have become a much more open person when it comes to helping people who want to do the work because I do feel what goes around comes around.
    I think that it feels a lot like college too. The learning curve is very steep and it is what I make of it. Sink or swim.

I am one of those business owners that doesn't like having a boss... The threat of having to work for someone else is my #1 motivator.

Not meaning to crash your newbie to newbies thread. I really am still a newbie to ABW AND affiliate marketing as reveled by my join date. I have the advantage of an in-place infrastructure as I've been (and am) an independent consultant/web developer/host/ISP/merchant [and now affiliate marketeer] since '96. AM is beginning to pay dividends already as a result of this advantage.

I have a comment about your latest eBook above. Even with my limited longevity in AM I've observed another group of wanna-be affiliates that wasn't included. And this is a cold hard fact that some will eventually come to face. Simply put, there are those who just plain aren't capable of putting together a successful campaign. They lack the necessary skill, talent, intuitiveness, good taste, language/grammar, drive, literacy, imagination, capital, (and dare I say intellect) or any number of other attributes that will hinder or prevent them from completing an attractive and productive affiliate website. And many of these attributes [or lack thereof] may not be overcome by reading/research.

The wanna-bes come and go here all the time. They show up with horrid websites for review. I sometimes submit review comments and hold back on what I'd really rather say; that the newbie should find some other occupation because they just don't appear to have what it takes for AM. They are many times told they should scrap it and start over. How discouraging that must be when someone has applied their best effort only to be told it stinks.

So, the bottom line is, some have it, some don't. Which are you?

X

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Simply put, there are those who just plain aren't capable of putting together a successful campaign. They lack the necessary skill, talent, intuitiveness, good taste, language/grammar, drive, literacy, imagination, capital, (and dare I say intellect) or any number of other attributes that will hinder or prevent them from completing an attractive and productive affiliate website. And many of these attributes [or lack thereof] may not be overcome by reading/research.

It is probably over 90% of the people who attempt this really should not bother. They fail miserably because they aren't capable of mastering all the different things that you need to be good at. They either fail (or hire someone else to do what they cannot do themselves) or just give up after a while

To be successful at any business (or anything really), you need to have something that most people just don't have.

Let's face it, most people really are incapable of being successful at anything

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Very interesting. Dr. Elder sounds like a smart guy. Some of the noobs who show up here looking for quick riches and all the answers are definitely infantile, demanding and doomed to failure. There's no substitute for research, talent and hard work.

superCool ponders the word "infantile" ..... hmmmmm?

by the way MnemonicGuy, all that stuff you wrote is great, but superCool must have missed the part where you tell how to make lots of money at this. ( what's the secret? you can tell superCool)

Great post. As someone who is about to get into the AM game, it's a great reminder of all that goes into this. It has occurred to me that the best way to be successful is through rigorous testing and refinement. Most everyone who has ever been successful online has used those two concepts to develop a real business, rather than some chase after some fantasy jackpot.

Quote Originally Posted by crshdavs
    develop a real business, rather than some chase after some fantasy jackpot.
    The chase, for some, is the purpose. Fear of success, keeps them on the chase. Because, for some, its all over when you win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    The chase, for some, is the purpose...
    The thrill is in the chase.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by cjshoppingnetwork
    Let's face it, most people really are incapable of being successful at anything
    It makes me feel sad to read a sentence like this and I'm hoping that you didn't mean it to sound as hard as it reads. Granted, everyone can't be good at everything but it is my belief that everyone can be successful at something. Otherwise, what's the point?

Thanks for all the positive comments, folks.

superCool must have missed the part where you tell how to make lots of money at this.
    That's because I haven't gotten to that part yet myself.

Boomers: So, the bottom line is, some have it, some don't. Which are you?
    For me personally, that remains to be seen, despite what I've written above. Territory is familiar though. I had the smarts to research real estate enough to see that the gurus were bogus and that I didn't have the capital, the spare time, or the personality to go that route (the way the gurus talk about real estate, you'd never guess it was actually about being somebody's land lord. ) . My younger brother and I made a small attempt at the mail order business, but that went nowhere because we picked a product that didn't have high demand because we didn't then have access to consumer demand data and because e-commerce had just begun to displace mail order.
    I gave a year to stock trading until I finally became aware that I didn't have the talents required to succeed there. I had enough discipline to cut my losses right away, and enough objectivity to leave when I knew I couldn't succeed there.

But I have higher hopes for AM and internet marketing in general. Before I even became aware of AM, I had taken a Career Direct inventory, Now I see that many of the interests that showed up on that inventory fall within the skills needed for AM. Always play to you strengths and interests. That's where you are likely to succeed.

Based on your posts I'd say you probably posses some, if not many of the attributes necessary to succeed in AM. I hope that yours will be one of the success stories.

X

Wow!!!!!!
    Hi,

Nice posts. Sounds very interesting and a lot more informative. Good job dude. Keep goin.

Thanks,
    Connel.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by redgaloshes
    It makes me feel sad to read a sentence like this and I'm hoping that you didn't mean it to sound as hard as it reads. Granted, everyone can't be good at everything but it is my belief that everyone can be successful at something. Otherwise, what's the point?

Maybe not quite as harsh.

It just seems like a lot of people just meander through life with no desire.

It is shocking at how many people never even try to become successful at anything.

Maybe I should have said that most people are incapable of trying to succeed, not that they are incapable of actually succeeding

No Longer Banned!
    Some Want to More Than Anything Else In the World. No one Cares ?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Maybe not quite as harsh.

It just seems like a lot of people just meander through life with no desire.

It is shocking at how many people never even try to become successful at anything.

Maybe I should have said that most people are incapable of trying to succeed, not that they are incapable of actually succeeding
    Then there are those who ask and ask help/ directions/ better understanding & show their white hot passion for getting it done. People just turn their backs & walk away. Some laughing. Some silent. Some will just pick on the one asking. Or try.

On the one hand there is no excuse to not want to try, even though people will frequently tell you that they've made their minds up that they'll never be anything more than what they are right now.

On the other hand, there is no reason to ignore those who do want to. I can almost see why some people have such low standards. Almost.

Also. it should be noted that a lack of reading comprehension {I'm pointing out ONE ONLY here} is not necessarily a lack of desire. It is a lack of knowledge.

I guess that was the original point of the ABW. Ask a question, get an answer. Then again, maybe not ?

I'll bet you money that if some newbs had a little clearer picture than right now, they'd be as powerful as a nuclear weapon. This is not telling anyone HOW TO do it. it is providing a clearer picture of what the differences are ect. {Frame of reference}. Some people are just jaded I guess. On both sides of the isle. It really is shocking.

It goes deeper than that bro. No worries mate.

Best wishes

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; June 13th, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Texas Grammar.... Beachy, HELP !!
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Steve,

Every time you post you leave me VERY confused as I really have NO IDEA what you are talking about? Is it just me? Am I the only guy at the party who didn't get stoned?

Is there any meat between the bread in this post. I really liked reading the thread, but I don't know if I got anything from it. I already have my head on straight, and I already know that there is not one answer.

So, I am looking for the roast beef. The how. The article that featured Rexanne in Revenue magazine had some meat in it. It explained how she started and where she is now. That inspires me.

Can anyone please direct me to the threads with the newbie meat so I can be inspired and have some direction please?

Again, Mnemonic, no offense. I really enjoyed your post. Just hungry for a different sandwich.

Thanks.

Bryan Robinson

Bryan,
    The affiliates here have a love/hate relationship. Most of us are very protective of our meat and will probably not share it with you. You'll have to hunt your own meat. If you haven't read it already, read The Magic Bullet Thread

X

Boomers,

Magic Bullet is a good thread.

But I am not a newbie to the online game. I am not a newbie to making money online. All my experience is in eCommerce, drop ship products, viral marketing, and seo.

So this will not be hard for me to learn. I will sponge up all the knowledge I can from those who are veterans. And I feel like I have something to offer as well, for those who are interested. So bear in mind, I am not a freeloader.

I just want to jump in with both feet.

Bryan R.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread