ABW Ambassador
    Angry Products shrink but prices stay the same
    Shoppers beware: Products shrink but prices stay the same.

"Downsizing is nothing but a sneaky price increase," says Edgar Dworsky, former Massachusetts assistant attorney general in the Consumer Protection Division,

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Been happening in fundraising for years now. Affects business for a season and then people get used to it.

In our business people have to choose between rising prices or smaller products. Just the harsh reality.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant
    "Downsizing is nothing but a sneaky price increase," says Edgar Dworsky, former Massachusetts assistant attorney general in the Consumer Protection Division,
    Amen! I went to buy a half gallon of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, there weren't any! They look the same, the price is the same but they are 1.75 quart not 2 quart(half gallon).. it was like that with every brand and every flavor.

You can do a lot of things to me... but don't screw with my ice cream!
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

It's called inflation. Although too much can be bad, no inflation is even worse.

Inflation is when you go to buy your half gallon of ice cream and find the price is 50 cents higher.

Sneaky, underhanded, dishonest thievery is when you go to buy your half gallon of ice cream and realize that the price is the same, but the carton is slightly smaller... just smaller enough to perhaps not be noticeable by most people. That's not inflation, that's tricking the consumer.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Amen! I went to buy a half gallon of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, there weren't any! They look the same, the price is the same but they are 1.75 quart not 2 quart(half gallon).. it was like that with every brand and every flavor.
    lol! Labelling error is more likely than penny-pinching, but scary!
    All US manufacturers are being squeezed hard right now because sudden price increases come down the pipeline to them and their products cannot be increased that much all at once; in order to stay even minimally competetive they are eating the losses for now by lowering profits but that will only last a short time. My own little business is in the same boat, suppliers of our raw materials are disappearing. Expect more "adjustments".

I was wondering why my pants are getting tighter, and my shirts don't fit like they used to. Now I know why.

ABW Ambassador
    This has been happening for a long time.. hasn't it?

Just look at Halloween candy, the snack sizes are now a bite. I remember when they were actually a snack (a small one).

And they have the nerve, some of them, to label them "Fun Size". Because a half-inch cubed piece of caramel and chocolate sure is FUN compared to what the things use to be!
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    I was wondering why my pants are getting tighter, and my shirts don't fit like they used to. Now I know why.
    LOL Mack
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    And they have the nerve, some of them, to label them "Fun Size". Because a half-inch cubed piece of caramel and chocolate sure is FUN compared to what the things use to be!
    LOL, oh yeah. They're fun size! And if I wasn't mistaken, weren't the bags the "Fun Size" came in this year, smaller.. err I mean more fun too?

Edit: This year being last Halloween.

superCool's scotch tape store/site has been taking it in the shorts for years. seems like every year the manufacturers reduce the number of feet per roll by at least 1 foot. some of superCool's customers blame him. you should see all the nasty email superCool has to wade through each day. telling them to use smaller pieces only works for so long.

stinking tape people - they really stink

They have been doing downsizing for a long time - Totino's Pizzas shrinking for over 30 years. McDonalds hamburgers shrunk but were too small in comparison to the bun. So they made smaller buns to make the burger seem larger. I think I should get bigger buns to make my belly appear smaller.
    ~Ernie

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread