Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ABW Ambassador
    It is good that they admit their weaknesses and at the same time alert people and make them less complacent about security.
    I keep adding the new patches as soon as they come out. Everyone should do that....

Thanks Heyder for the heads up!

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    thanks

Henry
    Affiliate Manager
    <font face=verdana size=1 >Migizzi Inc d/b/a</font> Pets-Warehouse.com

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>10%/90 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    </font>
    Henry@Pets-Warehouse.com<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>
    >< )))º> 631.789.5400 / Pets-Warehouse.com
    </font>

Thanks for the post, Heyder. Got it downloaded.

Sure seems like Windows XP has been hit with a lot of security holes, more so than earlier versions of Windows...

Either Microsoft is losing their touch, or the hack babies are getting smarter.

Andy

Also at Slashdot.

Hey check out the cool name of the story submitter. And isn't that an outbound like from a PR9 page I see

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    From the MS Page:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Products Not Affected by This Update

Windows Millennium (Windows Me)

Note Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Windows 95 also are not affected by this issue. However, these products are no longer supported. Users of these products are strongly encouraged to upgrade to later versions.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quick kids! Update so you to can be affected!!!

Dynamoo, we had a content site that used to be linked directly off slashdot's homepage every single day for over a year. It was lovely.

Chet

Yup, another reason I'm glad to have Windows 98SE

In any case, a firewall would most likely stop this. Don't rely on it though if you have a large network.. all it takes is one person to use their laptop on the public internet, get infected and then bring it into the offices and you're stuffed.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Just say no.

http://MicrosoftSecurity.com

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

Guys, I work for Microsoft in the Customer Central deportment (MSCC). Our internal memo on this (sorry, very private...) was URGENT. I have not had an urgent memo in over 2 years. ie, if we did not have the patch installed within 30 minutes we would loose access to the corporate network.

This one is going to (possibly) be big! Please update your system...

Joe Gardner
    BicycleBid.com - Earn upto $.25 per bid! and upto $.50 per free registration!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/964552.asp

yup, i was just coming here to report it

Joe,
    I've been trying to get hold of the piracy number since my email asked me to, but I can never get through. My registration number appears to not be authentic, and I've had no luck getting a response from the company from whom I bought my computer. Is there another number that I can call at MS other than the toll free piracy number? I don't mind paying the toll. This puter was not a small investment and I am not happy that I can't install the patches.

Thanks.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Just the anti-piracy line. The guys there are REALLY helpful in these situations.

800-785-3448 option number 4. You dont need to give your personal information if you dont want to. Just let them know if the situation, and what can be done about it.

You can also email me, v-2joeg@mssupport.microsoft.com , I can check your PID (registration number in system properties) against our database.

Joe Gardner

I have no problem giving my personal info. Everything else on the machine is paid for, legal, and up to date.

I'll email you.

Thanks.

- - - - -

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I had the amazing forsight to install Win98SE on my system and trash XP till it matures.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I have such an old computer the memory is too small for the windows xp program so I use windows 3.1 No I have windows 98 so I guess I am lucky like Mike?

I just wish I could design great sites like Mike does especialy his ecom site wow!! now that is a fabulous design and a shoppers delight. Its just a bloody shame Mike was too arrogant and would not let Charlie do the typing that way at least the products would have their correct names.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

I have Windows XP Home, 98se & Suse Linux on my home machine. I enjoy all OS's, but 95% of my use is on XPH. Great OS, just keep it updated

Joe Gardner

My computer starts with a pull rope.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ...Gordon! Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery. Whatever that means. I think Yogi Berra said that ...or maybe it was the AFLAC duck.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Heyder, a few years ago, I put a hamster wheel in to an old computer, I then put a plexi glass window in the case so you could see the hamster running on the wheel. There was no way to get to the hamster, without opening the case, so i would only put the hamster in when friends or family came over. I also didn’t want to fry the hamster, I am sure the case got warm after just a few minutes. I was also somewhat concerned about hamster poop on my video card...

One day, I was working on my computer, when my aunt came over. She was sitting in the computer room for well over an hour when she asked me if i could hear that squeaking sound. For a few minutes, i didn’t know what she was talking about, then i realized i left the hamster in the computer. With a striaght face, I turned to her, and said, "Oh, its my computer" while pointing to the hamster.

Let me tell you, she went ballistic! "How can you treat an animal that way, Joe?" "Do you know how much energy a computer uses? You are going to kill that thing! It can’t sustain enough energy to run your computer!" This went on for a good 5 minutes!

Now, my aunt, is the sweetest lady, i have never seen her mad. I was so in shock i couldn’t tell her it was just a joke, let alone laugh about it! By the time she was done ranting, she walked out of the room just about in tears!

I ended up giving the computer to charity, without the hamster, but with the wheel. I can only guess what happened to that computer. Or what the new owner would think...

Joe Gardner

LMAO That's great!

Interesting, the number of WIN98 users here I'll give you all a "me too."

Oh, and gotta love MS' "...outside researchers." Wonder who those people may be?

Fred

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"</font>

ABW Ambassador
    Me too!
    Win98 SE
    Cazzie

Join the Fight! Parasite Free In 2003!

Sorry, except for these f*$@## security issues, I am very pleased with XP PRO. I let the kids and hubby have the old 98 machine. It still crashes multiple times a day and sometimes hangs up on the shut down and vice versa... and all that with a new hard drive I had installed when I got the XP machine.

I HATED 98 by the time I finished.

I still shudder at the thought.

- - - - -

I agree with webmistress

I wouldn't go back to win 98 for anything. These security isues aren't that big of a deal for someone that keeps their computer updated and you should do that no matter what operating system you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast