ABW Ambassador
    Lightbulb Google/Yahoo Search Partnership Announcement
    Last edited by Adam Ward; June 12th, 2008 at 05:30 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    So what I want to know (and I'm sure there will be details later) is if Yahoo is going to kill their Sponsored Search and Adwords will take it's place or will it be some sort of combo.

Personally, I'm not too excited about this. I think Google is a ripoff, they overcharge for ad spots, and they have zero competition. The only one in any position to ever challenge them is Yahoo, and although I'm not a huge Microsoft fan, I would've liked to have seen Microsoft and Yahoo partner to at least see a bit of a counterbalance against Google.

Does anyone else think this is bad for those of us in online advertising and affiliate marketing, or is it just me?

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's bad. I would like to see 3 strong, independent players going at each other, Google, Yahoo, MSN, think it's better that way. But some of the players just aren't as strong. Back in the day I figured MSN could be a player, they have no shortage of money but they realized too late all the money in search (and are trying to play catch up) and Google already had become a major brand, #1 search engine. Is it MSN Search, Live Search, either one isn't good branding. Then tacky stuff to try to get people to use their search engine, the current one with rebates and the past attempt with prizes or something, where the domain now belongs to somebody else. Just never got it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    So what I want to know (and I'm sure there will be details later) is if Yahoo is going to kill their Sponsored Search and Adwords will take it's place or will it be some sort of combo.

From the article I read, it seems like yahoo will be able to run ads from google, yahoo and other ad sources.

No Longer Banned!
    Google Runs over M$ while screaming YAHOOO !!!....
    Hmmmmm....

Bummer. I'm glad M$ didn't get it though.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

ABW Ambassador
    Some details coming out:

"Under the agreement, Yahoo can run ads supplied by Google alongside its own search results and on some of its websites in the United States and Canada. Yahoo will decide where the Google ads will run and which search terms it can use, Yahoo said in a statement.

The deal initially spans four years, with options to renew it up to a period of 10 years."

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssT...AS819820080612

"Yahoo said Thursday that under the new Google pact, it will display some ads sold by its rival in a deal Yahoo estimated would generate $800 million in annual revenue through improved monetization of certain types of searches. Both companies said they were looking at ways to expand the limited partnership, possibly into display advertising."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121329534659368693.html

So looks like combination.

ok so you do PPC in G then why spend money with Y? Will you not get double billed for the same clicker in Y? so they add millions but what about their clients? Don't they lose all that revenue? poor Yahoo shareholders stock will be trading below 10 by the end of the year.

This Yahoo BoD are a bunch of a** clowns.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    let the both of these guys corner the market?

when is the DOJ stepping in?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread