"All United Airlines Affiliate Programs Paused"
    Just received by email.

I wonder who got kicked out - I guess it's the affiliates who actually generated commissions...

Dear Sleepless,

Recently, United Airlines re-evaluated its annual budget and has made the difficult decision to scale back the number of publishers in their affiliate program through year-end. We regret to inform you that your site will be temporarily removed from the program effective June 13, 2008. This applies to United Airlines - Air, United Airlines - Hotels and United Airlines - Canada.

Please remove all banners, links and text for the United Airlines - Air, Hotels, and Canada affiliate programs by end of day Friday, June 13. You will not receive commissions for any traffic generated after Friday, June 13.

Should United Airlines increase budgets prior to year-end, we will communicate this information. On behalf of United Airlines, we would like to thank you for your participation.

Please keep in mind that there are hundreds of other advertisers available through DoubleClick Performics. Please check ConnectCommerceSM to see which programs may work for you.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Thank you,

United Airlines Affiliate Program Management Team
    UnitedAirlinesAffiliates@performics.com

ABW Ambassador
    I suspect they are keeping their largest affiliates.

I do very little with them and I received the same email. No loss to me.

When you lose money on each transaction, affiliate program not a big priority, probably.

An uncertain time for anyone promoting travel.

domestic carriers would need to raise fares by 15 percent to 20 percent just to break even.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24257629/

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    I suspect they are keeping their largest affiliates.

I do very little with them and I received the same email. No loss to me.
    I wouldn't count on that, I'm pretty sure they killed the whole thing. They're in a world of hurt right now.

ABW Ambassador
    Since this program has ended, why are links still available through ConnectCommerce?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    When you understand the whole picture, it's laughable.

eBates is in United's program.

But if you're small, you're getting booted.

So relative value is determined by the number of sales that you can post, not by what you do for United... and nobody there will be measuring (% or total) how many new customers you send them...

Idea...

Create a BHO that can drop cookies on lots of people, adding no real value to United, but the reports will look great, you'll be applauded and paid tons, and when they cut back on things, they'll continue to let you rob them blind because they're too stupid to understand you're sticking it to them! And you can giggle when the affiliates working to send them new traffic are treated like refuse and are discarded in bulk.

United, I nominate you for stupid merchant move of the year. No worries, you probably won't win, you've got a lot of healthy competition.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's my take on Donuts' post. The only thing United is guilty of is relying on Performics' take on improving ROI through affiliate marketing. It's unlikely that United even knows a thing about Ebates or any other loyalty site because United has always relied on Performics. United probably knows nothing themselves about affiliate marketing, short of what Performics tells them.

When merchants cut affiliates due to budget issues, loyalty sites should be the FIRST TO GO, not the last. Loyalty sites are loyal to their customers, not to their merchants.

United will not gain a thing by keeping loyalty sites and terminating others. And this has nothing to do with downloads.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Here's my take on Donuts' post. The only thing United is guilty of is relying on Performics' take on improving ROI through affiliate marketing. It's unlikely that United even knows a thing about Ebates or any other loyalty site because United has always relied on Performics. United probably knows nothing themselves about affiliate marketing, short of what Performics tells them.

When merchants cut affiliates due to budget issues, loyalty sites should be the FIRST TO GO, not the last. Loyalty sites are loyal to their customers, not to their merchants.

United will not gain a thing by keeping loyalty sites and terminating others. And this has nothing to do with downloads.
    100% accurate observation as removal of any loyality site using a BHO reminder to shove their referral cookies up a shoppers butt, the moment they arrive at a merchants site, causes full commissions to be paid even on non-commissionable type sales. Don't fault just Performics for pushing BHO's as the other networks love pocketing their cut on double dipping BHO's and cookie stuffing affiliates too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Don't fault just Performics for pushing BHO's
    As I said, this has nothing to do with downloads. I am commenting on Performics giving United bad advice regarding loyalty sites. DON'T make my comments out to be something they are not.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    As I said, this has nothing to do with downloads. I am commenting on Performics giving United bad advice regarding loyalty sites. DON'T make my comments out to be something they are not.
    I'm sure the advice given by networks. who manage merchant programs with in-house network staff, is incentive biased and not ROI transparent. Loyality affiliates and other incent type affiliates get Network protection based upon $$$ volume. Let's not blow smoke screens for the networks. Not all loyality affiliates use download BHO's to set cookies .... but all BHO download affiliates are Loyality sites.

For the sake of argument let's just inform idiot merchants like United, who outsource affiliate program management to so called network insiders, to make the first cut be any and all Loyality sites. They whack the bottom line on every repeat sale on top of the incentive payouts for Credit Card points. All other affiliate types at least bleed the dying merchant via a vein... not an artery.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I am commenting on Performics giving United bad advice regarding loyalty sites.
    I would fault Performics for bad advice as well, however, I wouldn't let United off the hook for anything as a consequence.

Merchants must recognize value and learn to make decisions. United sets the budgets and determines who they keep or not. Performics can recommend all sorts of things, but at United, there does have to be sufficient understanding of things to make their decisions based on advice received, no matter the source or validity.

If United hired a marketing company and that entity sent out SPAM, United is still culpable, both ethically and legally. They may have recourse against their agent, but they are held responsible for the decisions they make, whether they directly make them or they hire someone to make them for them. So your agrument, which seems to relieve United because they don't (or may not) happen to know any better, doesn't hold water for me.

United has a very complex, mega-large industrial business, they are certainly capable of analyzing something as simple as loyaltyware - the problem is, they've chosen not to learn enough to make a good decision about it. And that's exactly what I blame them for, and it's to the detriment of their own profits and goals.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread