Red face ShareaSale and osCommerce - Affiliate View
    I hope this isn't an ignorant question, but I'm pulling my hair out other wise. I'm using osCommerce and plan to sell items from various merchants for baby/kid related items. It's a pretty modified version of osCommerce (newbabybooks.com). I see that ShareASale offers merchant datafeeds which obviously help me bypass the manual entry, but how do you incorporate ShareASale into osCommerce effectively as an affiliate?

Would I essentially have to take payment and order info and then physically place the order on the merchants website? Or is there a way to integrate some add-on that would take the customer to the merchants site for payment/order processing and then back to mine for the "thank you" page. I wouldn't even mind if the customer just stayed on the merchants site as long as the order was able to be placed without any intervention from me.

The trick is that I may have more than one merchant within the storefront, so if a customer orders one product from one merchant and one from another, it'd simply be easier if they stayed on my site to maintain one single shopping cart. If I had to stick with one merchant to avoid this issue that'd be fine, but still need to find some type of seamless process where the order gets handed off to the merchant or ShareASale. Outside of providing an 800 number for questions from the customers, that's what I'm looking for as far as involvement. Would moving to ZenCart, CubeCart or CreLoaded fix this problem out of the box or is there some sort of modification located somewhere for osCommerce that deals with this?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    It's impossible to run an affiliate site off a shopping cart system. if you do, you'd need to modify OScommerce quite a bit and make it clear to buyers that they need to go to the merchant's website to purchase any thing and that you are an affiliate of these merchants. Once you've modified Osc to incorporate these details and eliminate the shopping cart features, easypopulate is a great way to integrate datafeeds into the app.

There's something you might want to try out instead of oscommerce - I haven't tried it out myself, but Joomla shop builder looks like a pretty good solution - it's based on the CMS joomla and Virtuemart, which is a shopping cart module for joomla.

http://joomlashopbuilder.com/index.p...d=27&Itemid=98
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

http and a telephoto
    You are confusing affiliate marketing with drop shipping. As stated by AffiliateHound, you would not use a shopping cart to post affiliate links. If you want to use osCommerce or Zen Cart for affiliate product showcasing you would change the buy link to a link that goes to the merchant. You cannot make an affiliate site look like people are purchasing from your company without running into multiple problems.

Some merchants that have a affiliate programs also have drop ship programs, but that is *not* something that is managed through the affiliate network, i.e. Shareasale.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Smile
    I do know the difference between affiliate marketing and drop shipping, but I thought that maybe some of the merchants would actually supply their PayPal email so when the user clicked to pay via PayPal, it would simply direct the buyer into that merchants PayPal address (also carrying over your affiliate number with it). Or maybe a special link to the merchants payment processing section that would pass order details onto the merchant and then based on your affiliate number it would kick the user back to your site after the merchant received the order and payment. It's not that far fetched. Of course, you would be constrained to one merchant using something like this, but it's not that "out there".

PopShops.com figured it out, so i thought that something a little more hi-tech like osCommerce/ZenCart/CubeCart/CreLoaded, etc would have also. Guess not. Thanks for the help though. Off to PopShops I guess.

We are a merchant AND affiliate. We use the VPASP ecommerce application and have extensively modified it. Whether a product item is purchased directly from us or whether it links to an affiliated merchant [or in most cases eBay] is dependent on the inventory level. When the level reaches Zero [or is initially set to zero], the product description reverts to one that presents the affiliate link [or eBay auction/store listings] for purchases. Otherwise the purchase is added to our shopping cart and fulfilled by us. We can list virtually unlimited numbers of different products as affiliates with this system. All our product pages contain an extensive and detailed description along with up to three large images whether they're our inventory or an affiliated merchant's.

BTW, we recently affiliated with our first SAS merchant and the system works well for promoting them on an individual product basis. We use text links only except for the eBay current auction listings.

X

PopShops
    Boomer, you have peaked my curiosity. When you say "we", are you referring to PopShops or something else? If something else, please tell me more. As for PopShops, I've been thoroughly impressed with their offerings and how it all works. It's a phenomenal application. A friend of mine has been using it for a few months and is already making a few hundred a month in commissions. The whole system is super intelligent for use by affiliates and people wanting a good solid home based business with minimal startup cash. And I mean minimal like $5 a month.

For merchants, however, the other offerings osCommerce/ZenCart/CreLoaded, etc are great to work with and far superior as for flexibility. I was simply hoping that I would be able to use osCommerce because of their great selection of templates and layouts, but you can also manually insert products into any layout you want with PopShops too, so I guess I'm answering my own questions as to what will be best for me. I was just hoping for some alternative options. Guess they don't exist yet.

Chris Horton
    hortonwebdesign.com

The "we" is my assistant and I, my assistant being Sandy, my wife. We work together in our business.
    I don't know anything about osCommerce or the other apps mentioned. I do know that you can customize any web application with the appropriate skills...

X

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread