Time Warner, Comcast, and AT&T to charge for high usage
    Seems like this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it so here goes:

http://biz.yahoo.com/nytimes/080614/...9060.html?.v=3

I love how they phrase it as, those that use the internet more should pay more. But somehow, I don't see them lowering the price for the guys that check email once a day.

Put me down as one of those who will drop Time Warner in a heartbeat if they pull this crap, including cable, and go the satellite route with Dish or DirecTV.

And they want me to buy digital phone service from them? HAH...

Direcway/Hughesnet does not charge more for high usage. They take you to "Fair Access Policy" status, virtually offline until it averages out, your "browsing" is limited to email and surfing with no images. Happened to me in April when my husband was downloading from itunes while watching videos on the laptop. That and they're higher than most cable outfits. I had to stop including dynamic pages in the sitemaps because it took several hours to crawl, and would have put me back in FAP. Oh, and no online gaming because of the delay.. Skype is iffy. Its fast, but it's 3rd world service compared to DSL/cable.

Limiting BW useage is a move to try to limit file sharing. Think about it. If you left your TV or cable box on 24/7, you would be using video bandwith. Would they complain, doubt it.

On the other hand you could be running a file sharing client. With the file shareing client you would be uploadnig and downloading gigs copyrighted audio and video files. Does the cable company care? Not Really. What they do care about is the lawyers from movie and record companies pressuring them because of the file sharing of copyrighted files.

With that being said, if I my cable co. tries to limit my BW I'll cancel my service.
    Thanks,
    Doug

No Longer Banned!
    In some ways this seems like a version of the 2 tiered internet system.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

The article does not talk about limiting your usage so much as charging you for it. You choose which level of service you want and then pay for that level. If you go over you pay more. Many webhosts do the same. It benefits low bandwidth consumers by allowing them to choose a smaller service plan rather than paying for services they aren't consuming.

There's a brief mention of slowing down users who are transferring a lot of data during "peak" times (which, if they're anything like cell phones, is more than half the day). But yeah, mostly they want to charge for going over your "minutes", so to speak.

One example cited plans for 5, 20 and 40 gigs of bandwidth per month. Per month? I can blow through 40 gig in a DAY just watching video.

If Comcast decides to start metering or slowing me down during "peak" times, I'll have no problem ditching them. There's plenty of alternatives.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Hey Time Warner and Comcast, I got an idea for you...why not charge each customer per click (pay-per-click). You get 1000 clicks per month included with your package, then get charged 10 cents per click thereafter.

Shoot, you can even offer different "click-packs" (i.e. 700 click-pack, 1000 click-pack, 2000 click-pak, etc). Sell "Click-Cards" at Walmart and Target. Then every few months, you can raise the rates by about 75 cents (so it's hardly noticable to the consumer).

When people start surfing less because they are unsure as to whether they should click or not, you can provide "Click-Picks" to your customers. Now you can sign up for 30 affiliate programs and grab even more bucks from those click-picks-clicks.

Maybe the government can even chime in and start charging a "click-tax" and just adding it to the bill.

Shall I go on?
    [COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1][url="http://www.pianowizardacademy.com"]Piano learning software[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://bit.ly/PWAiPad"]Back Piano Wizard iPad App on KickStarter[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://www.musicwizardaffiliates.com"]Piano Wizard Affiliate Program[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]

My problem with the whole plan is, they're disguising this as a "pay for what you use" plan, with the argument that the guy who checks his email is having to pay for the guy that's downloading torrents and movies all day. It's certainly a valid argument. But the hypocrisy in it is, I bet Time Warner, Comcast, AT&T, etc. end up making more off this tiered system than if they kept it the way it is now.

How? Well, they'll charge the average customer the same rate they charge now. They'll just add on the surcharge for those that go over. Their costs of doing business will not change, but their revenues will go higher as they try to "trick" the consumer into thinking that they're actually looking after their best interests.

If they were truly legit in their intentions to offer plans that account for usage, there would be a considerable number of people paying a lot less for their usage, and a decent number paying more. Somehow, I seriously doubt anyone will really be paying less, but a lot will probably be paying more.

I'll be ditching these idiots the minute they implement this plan in Austin. And I won't just ditch my broadband service, I'll ditch my digital cable that I hardly ever watch and go with Dish. Hopefully others like earthlink won't follow suit with Time Warner, so there will at least be some other option out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin999
    I'll be ditching these idiots the minute they implement this plan in Austin. And I won't just ditch my broadband service, I'll ditch my digital cable that I hardly ever watch and go with Dish. Hopefully others like earthlink won't follow suit with Time Warner, so there will at least be some other option out there.
    Well, if others find this a profitable model, they'll hop on the bandwagon. Maybe not at first - they'll capitalize on the opportunity to attract new customers, then zap them later on. Remember when NETZERO was "zero" cost?
    [COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1][url="http://www.pianowizardacademy.com"]Piano learning software[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://bit.ly/PWAiPad"]Back Piano Wizard iPad App on KickStarter[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://www.musicwizardaffiliates.com"]Piano Wizard Affiliate Program[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I read that they're going to be test-marketing this lousy plan first. So hopefully it will die at that stage.

I'm not sure if their plan will really cause me grief, so if it spread to my area, I'd wait until I saw how it really panned out. I don't watch much video...I much prefer to read, whether online or off. And I can process feeds on the server now, so I don't have the need to send up gigs of data like I used to. So I'm not using nearly as much bandwidth as some. However, Comcast might think it's a lot, if they're comparing it to some slub that's only online 1 hour/week.

If they start pulling something as irritating as MSN Dialup used to, they are gone, same day.

(MSN had decided that high-usage people couldn't reallllyy be online all that time, so they made a setup where it would randomly pop a popup. If you didn't click the thing in a few seconds, it'd assume you were "inactive" and disconnect you! Never mind that you were trying to upload a huge batch of pages (4 hours over dialup, and that's with a zip file), and *gasp* had to go to the bathroom during that time!)

That idiotic setup (and it disconnecting me 3 1/2 hours into that 4-hour upload...twice in a row!) is what drove me to sign up for Comcast in the first place! If Comcast does something equally frustrating--like slowing me down to dialup speeds--I will dump them like a grenade with its pin missing.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Seems to be a general trend now for companies to charge more for those that actually use their service.

Airlines charging for those that want to check a bag, overweight people, etc.

If they're gonna pull this crap, then I'd also expect them to charge on a per-use basis for digital phone. They should also charge people based on how much TV they watch. Of course, they never will because those 2 markets are extremely competitive.

Hey look there is the internet, dying at the idea of this shit.
    I cannot believe the companies are still trying to push tiered internet. So selfish and so pointless, people will just move to the provider who is not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diablos
    Hey look there is the internet, dying at the idea of this shit.
    I cannot believe the companies are still trying to push tiered internet. So selfish and so pointless, people will just move to the provider who is not doing it.
    I'm worried only the people affected will move, which is sorta a win-win for TWC/ATT/Comcast since the ones that cost them the most leave and go elsewhere. As consumers, we don't care as long as we're getting what we consider a fair price, and if our fellow neighbor is getting the shaft, we tend to never do anything on their behalf.

I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else, but still, it makes you want to stand up every now and then for what you believe in, even if it's not a situation that affects you.

BTW, Time Warner has officially discontinued access to Newsgroups.

I wish I could say that was surprising, but it's not. Usenet doesn't make them any money, after all.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday too. For someone that I give $160 a month to, I'm certainly not getting my value out of it.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread