Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Thumbs down Heads up - 36 Retail Stores Closing Doors
    Heads up folks,

I was sent this link over the weekend and even though I think it's a few weeks old, I though it was interesting enough since there are some major retailers mentioned there with large affiliate programs that many of you may want to watch out for ... http://money.aol.com/special/retail-...-closing-doors

Hope they can turn the situation around, it's not good for any of us ....

The article links to another one I though was interesting. They assembled a poll of 5,000+ consumers and came up with some interested consumer perceptions / observations which may or may not affct online shopping, http://money.aol.com/special/shopper...ores-in-danger

Good reading and a good wake up call for me ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Wow! I have to say that I agree with just about everyone of the stores in danger of closing. I really don't shop at malls anymore because of the inflated prices and uninspired merchandise. As for Staples and Office Depot, why bother driving when you can get everything delivered to your home for free?

wow - this is an eye opener. There is something really sad about so many stores closing, but I think what bothers me the most, the number of people who will be without jobs because of this.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I think you will see a continuation of this pattern. Not sure what local enclosed mall traffic looks like where you are but traffic is severely down in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

Destination retailers are moving to more open air shopping centers making desirable traffic even more scarce at covered malls.

I used to own a chain of retail stores. The lousy thing about retail is the lack of remedies for slow sales. Rents are high. Labor typically unprofessional. The only option many times is to put merchandise on sale which just further deteriorates margins. So many retailers are scrambling for cash flow at the expense of profitability.

Trying financial times we live in.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I think we will continue to see this trend as long as the internet keeps going full-speed and the economy runs out of gas...no pun intended.

Jim

It makes you wonder too about the future of the shopping mall. I know that stores like Sears and JCPenney are anchor stores in just about every mall I've ever been to!

Most of these companies have done it to themselves because they have not addressed the real problems going on within their structure before growing so quickly they couldn't address them. Almost all just suck at basic good retailing. Look at home depot for example. People worked HARD to shop the HD stores and in return usually received poor customer service, messy store enviroments and just generally a hassle to do business with them. Their service problems have been so bad that one simple blog on MSN about it ended up being the most commented blog in the history of MSN.

I have received far better service and more educated sales professionals dealing with online merchants than I've ever found in brick&mortar stores (or at least found in a very long time).

Many retailers just simply refuse to address that low pay attracts low performers. They allow their 2 and 3 million dollar boxes to be run by someone being paid $35,000.

Nope - none of these names surprise me other than Ann Taylor maybe...and that's a big maybe. I can think of about five more right off that will end up on that list soon.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Great post leeann!
    In keeping with the information on your post, let's begin to list stores that WE as ABWers think are going to close their doors (I didn't agree with Ann Taylor either).

Off the top of my head

Outlets -- give it 2 years tops or they will close all but 10 - 20 key locations
    Maidenform
    Liz Claiborne
    Van Heusen
    Jones of NY
    BonWorth

Although, I think they'll keep their online stores.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I haven't been to a mall in years, but I do visit outlet centers like Potomac Mills (VA).
    Their listing of stores is pretty bad. The only reason I keep going is because they have an IKEA.
    So, to add to the list:
    Perfumania
    Kirkland's
    Sunglass Hut

superCool has been expecting this for years - how many Linens and Things do we need? 20 years ago you had to drive a long distance to get to stores like that, but now you are almost always within 5 miles of two of them (in the suburbs anyway). retail has been overbuilding for years. banks are the same way around here - 1 or 2 banks at every cross-road.

superCool doesn't see why this is a bad thing....just a correction

and more rubber sheets?

yes exactly - where's that find a store link for Linens and Things?

um, I think you are going to need a wayyyyy different store for rubber sheets...

They allow their 2 and 3 million dollar boxes to be run by someone being paid $35,000.
    That is, in my mind, the crux of the problem with offline retail in most cases. These giant multinational corporations are taking in billions (or were taking in billions) and they were paying their executives a ton of cash, but at the local level, you'd have a manager making $30-35,000 a year. You can't get someone to care for that price. As soon as a position opens up with a slightly higher salary or one more perk, they jump ship. If something doesn't get done at the end of the night, no big deal, whatever. If something needs to be repaired, they put in one request to corporate and wait... and wait... and wait... because they don't care enough to bug corporate about it until it gets fixed.

This is not to say that these people are lazy or incompetent or incapable. For the right price, they can be the most loyal, hard working people in the company.

I was one of these people for many years.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Here is another one that shouts big problems.
    OfficeMax cutting 2,700 managers
    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=29863
    leeann

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread