More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    SEO Hosting?
    I use hostgator and redirect all my pages to www. When I added a WordPress blog to one of my addon domains, the blog had it's own redirect to non-www and so the redirects looped from one to another. So tech support disabled my redirect and then told me that if I REALLY wanted SEO, I should use their seohosting (seohosting.com). Seems like a bit of smoke to me - I think I would still face the duplicate www and non-www issue even with their hosting. I simply would get separate IP addresses. If pages are not linked together, separate IP addresses would not be an issue. And in this case, both my site and blog are on the same domain so the IP address is not even relevant.

What are your thoughts on this?

I am thinking of perhaps simply using a free Google Blogspot blog or perhaps trying a different blog.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I think I would still face the duplicate www and non-www issue even with their hosting.
    No search engine would penalize you for "duplicate content" by having the same content on yourdomain.com as well as www.yourdomain.com . Why bother with messy redirects?

I know little or nothing about redirects.

But I do know that if you go into the "Options" on a WordPress blog, you can change the default yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com.

Just make the change, save that, and I think it will ask you to log into the WordPress dashboard again, because it now sends you to www.yourdomain.com instead of yourdomain.com.

As for hostgator and redirects, I know nothing.
    Generate more fake news.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    The best reason to redirect from one to the other is to force people to bookmark and link to one or the other type of link.

This will make more of your links to one type than the other. This helps your SEO believe it or not. To split your links you are diffusing your strength in linkpop.

You can have a blog one way or the other like Superguy stated. Keep working on it. You will get it.

http and a telephoto
    You can also tell Google to redirect itself in Webmaster tools.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

There are several WP plug-ins designed to address this well-documented issue. I've used at least one & had no problems.
    Last edited by simcat; June 16th, 2008 at 02:08 PM.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I was able to change the address to www to match my domain. Then, I will work within the Google Webmaster's Tools. Then, look for the plug-in.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread