Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    "You Got Mail" - It's for sale.
    AOL SIGN-ON: Welcome! You've got mail!

You may be surprised to learn AOL still takes in more than $2 billion a year from dial-up subscribers.

Parent Time Warner hopes to sell that part of the business off within the next months and focus on its content and advertising. A rival -- perhaps Earthlink -- might benefit from adding more than 8.5 million dial-up customers.
    http://marketplace.publicradio.org/d...17/aol_dial_up

I am suprised that they still make $2 billion from that dying market.
    One thing i don't miss are those CD's in my mail, I used to get like 2 AOL cd per month.. back in the good ol days

http and a telephoto
    There is still a large part of the country that doesn't have access to DSL, satellite, or Cable. I know several people that have only dialup available to them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    http://marketplace.publicradio.org/d...17/aol_dial_up

I am suprised that they still make $2 billion from that dying market.
    One thing i don't miss are those CD's in my mail, I used to get like 2 AOL cd per month.. back in the good ol days
    remember back when aol's auditors got caught claiming the demo 30-day accounts were actual paid subscribers?

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    There is still a large part of the country that doesn't have access to DSL, satellite, or Cable. I know several people that have only dialup available to them.
    Absolutely. That means a large part of our customer base needs to be looking at well-optimized home pages - optimized for download speed, that is.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I know there are still huge areas without DSL and many cable companies that still do not offer high speed, but everyone has access to satellite...after all, you are just pointing it towards the sky. I used satellite a few years back until our cable company offered high speed.

Jim

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    everyone has access to satellite...after all, you are just pointing it towards the sky.
    That is untrue actually. There needs to be a clear shot at a specific part of the sky. And most of the time dialup is faster than satellite in some areas.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    I know there are still huge areas without DSL and many cable companies that still do not offer high speed, but everyone has access to satellite...after all, you are just pointing it towards the sky. I used satellite a few years back until our cable company offered high speed.

Jim
    You can also have one of the clearest views of the sky but if there is no Sat in your sky then you can't get a signal.

I know people who live on Farm land and can get Dishnetwork but not directtv because there is a Dishnetwork sat in view but no directtv one, or is it the otherway around.

Didn't know those points. I stand corrected. Thanks.

Jim

It's so easy to forget that not everyone has broadband. I had fallen out of the habit of optimizing my images for web use recently. It's a dying market, but it's far from dead.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    It's so easy to forget that not everyone has broadband. I had fallen out of the habit of optimizing my images for web use recently. It's a dying market, but it's far from dead.
    lol, YOU know the people on dialup too! They use your review site
    Deborah Carney

Oooh you're right, and I haven't optimized the logos on that site yet Thanks for the reminder
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Interesting...I was trying to find some definitive numbers and I came across this (cute) quote from WebMedley in February: "According to recent surveys, 14 percent of Americans drive without insurance, 14 percent believe Elvis is alive and, most astonishing of all, 14 percent of homes with active Internet use are still using dialup!

Not too surprising. I couldn't find any real up-to-date numbers, but from interpolating trend graphs I figured about 15% of the US population does NOT use broadband. And that number may not change much from this point forward - unless broadband rates fall significantly, which does not seem to be the trend at all.

So, unless we want to slam the door in the face of one out of seven of our visitors, we still need to be cognizant of designing for slower speed customers. We cannot let 1/7 of our visitors dictate total site design, but we can still take time to optimize all of our images (at a minimum). It is surprising how many sites I find where the image load of the home page is a half megabyte or more.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I was a charter member of AOL and enjoyed the charter member discount for years until I finally dumped them in '02. Back when MS was developing the Windows UI (wasn't an operating system back then) there was another UI on the market called GeoWorks. It came bundled with this wonderful online service called AOL. After using BB systems AOL was like a dream come true. What was this Internet thing I heard about somewhere?

At the end of my dialup days I used AOL only for the Internet connection and no longer accessed their user services. I was connecting on three phone lines, using Window's connection pooling and accessed Internet at triple the single line dialup speeds. Used a keep-alive program running that prevented AOL from disconnecting due to inactivity so basically had full-time (high speed[?]) Internet via dialup. Used a client/server program called WinGate to share the dialup internet connection to the LAN.

Ah, those were the days!

X

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    It is surprising how many sites I find where the image load of the home page is a half megabyte or more.
    Old habits die hard. I still consciously reduce image file sizes to the smallest that still look good. Even at broadband speeds, optimized images will result in a page that visibly snaps up quicker than one with bloated image files.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    At the end of my dialup days I used AOL only for the Internet connection and no longer accessed their user services. I was connecting on three phone lines, using Window's connection pooling and accessed Internet at triple the single line dialup speeds...
    I used to do that too!!! Oh lord, I'd forgotten all about that... those were the days LOL
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

That is untrue actually. There needs to be a clear shot at a specific part of the sky. And most of the time dialup is faster than satellite in some areas.
    I can vouch for that. We have satellite and travel extensively. We get great speed about 60% of the time. And, in some areas zip. We have traveled across the US about 8,000 miles (driving) coast to coast in the last 12 months to give satellite a good test drive. It is not 100% connectivity.

But, it is pretty darn cool to be out on the open road and connected most of the time when you want to be.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread