Downloadable list of all prohibited & restricted keywords?
    Is there a way I can download a single spreadsheet that would include a complete list of ALL the specific keyword-phrases that ALL my SAS merchants have listed?

I assume that these are stored as part of the database for keywords included in the "PPC Keyword Bidding Guidelines and Rules" section for the merchant's account. That's what I'd like to get -- probably just a CSV or pipe-delimited file that includes each keyword, merchantID or merchantName, and the max.bid (usually 0.00).

I realize that this won't include some SAS merchants who impose PPC and keyword restrictions without using that "feature" within SAS, but having a report or downloadable file would certainly help me to insure that I don't include my merchants' prohibited keywords in my campaigns. It would be a great time-saver.

Added: Immediately after admitting the potential limitations of such a downloadable list, I found that at least one merchant (e.g. Random House) lists multiple keywords together (separated by commas), rather than one per entry. This means additional processing work, but a downloadable list would still be a great time-saver.

ABW Ambassador
    Each affiliate MAY be treated differently.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    How do you envision this being used?
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Mr. Mackin replied: > "Each affiliate MAY be treated differently." <

I'm not sure I understand the point. Of course, some affiliates may reach different agreements with merchants, who are free to extend different terms to different affiliates. What I'm asking about are the published PPC Keyword restrictions within the merchant's account at ShareASale.

Brian asked: > "How do you envision this being used?" <

I envision using this to create a set of negative-keyword constraints in my automated bidding systems. If I import a datafeed, create associated text ads and keyword lists (a step which might be partially automated but will always be "mostly manual"), and then submit the ads and keywords through the Google AdWords API, I'd like to take some steps to insure that I'm complying with each merchant's PPC rules, in part by including negative keywords.

My opinion is that by default, any negative keyword identified by ANY of my merchants is a negative keyword for ALL of my merchants and campaigns and networks -- either I include it as a negative keyword everywhere, or I end my relationship with that merchant (unless I negotiate special terms with the merchant, as Mackin suggests).

I don't expect this to ever be entirely automated (indeed, it will require substantial management time), but I'd appreciate a little help -- I assume it would be relatively simple to generate this as a report.

An alternative would be for this to be one of a set of API calls for SAS affiliates:
    - "identify all restricted PPC keywords for merchant 00000,"
    - "identify all restricted PPC keywords for all [my] merchants,"
    - "identify current payment terms (my payment rates, $ or %, per sale, lead, and click) for merchant 00000,"
    - "identify relationship status with merchant 00000 (approved, denied, pending)",
    - "identify status of merchant 00000 (active, [low funds], offline, closed)."
    Last edited by markwelch; June 17th, 2008 at 07:57 PM.

That would be tremendous! Great idea Mark.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I like this idea too. Sort of a deals database that contains the banned keywords.

In my ppc, would make it very easy to add exact-match negatives.

In my compliance efforts (more important than ever with the new SAS policy regarding search) would make it easier to spot changes (email notice of terms changes isn't reliable enough, I get the notices, but I really don't want to wonder if I might miss one in the future).

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Not a bad idea... I will have to think through this and consider possible security problems/concerns/etc...

Some form of easy access to keyword lists would be appropriate...I'm not sure a download is the best idea, but something will likely be added to make it easier to make a quick judgment as to what is and isn't allowed.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Why cant the merchants display in the sign up area what is not allowed like
    non compete keywords,
    protected keywords
    Direct linking allowed
    No merchant url allowed in display url
    negative keywords to be used

etc like CJ? It is very clear - esp when you are signing up itself. it should be stated clearly in the signing up area. Not make it up as they go - no legalese. just plain English.

The information IS there gita, but only if you view the information by clicking through from search (Find Merchants) in your account. When you click on the sign-up invitation that gets posted in signatures that information is not there.

I agree it is somehow not very clear. A whole lot of merchants don't have anything on PPC guidelines. Those who don't have any restrictions can state we are open to PPC.
    The way it is now is very well hidden. It needs to be in program specifics itself. There needs to be columns for the fields like

Display URL policy
    non compete keywords
    Brand Bidding
    Suggested keyords
    So at a glance we know what we can do. This helps us affiliates to pick & choose merchants a bit easier as well.

I have had merchants who have seen consistent conversions from me in 3-4 months then emailed me to stop bidding on certain keywords. They make it up as they go along. the PPC guideline space was empty! I have gone to SAS management regarding this and they were not able to do anything. So maybe both merchant & affiliates need cleaning up

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread