Analytics Goals and Resources
    I have two questions about Google Analytics that I hope people can shed some light on.

First, what resource might people recommend for learning how to make the most of Analytics from an affiliate standpoint? I have a basic understanding of creating profiles, getting the tracking code inserted and reading basic reports, but I'm looking for more intermediate/advanced info than that. Specifically...

...second, I'm wondering about goals. I can see, as a merchant, how a goal works - you guide the visitor through your site, and get them into the shopping cart. The goal is met when they make a sale. As an affiliate though, should I be setting goals? The only thing I can think of is that my "goal" will be for them to click a link and leave my site to go to the merchant. Beyond that, I can't track. So, is that what affiliates set as a goal in Analytics? Just a click out?

Any pointers would be most welcome
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Oh - and I know, some people really don't dig on Analytics because they don't want to give Google their site stats. I totally get that, and I respect that point of view. But I'm going with Analytics for the time being
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Well, some examples of goals that an affiliate can work towards are lowering the bounce rate and increasing page views per visitor. While those goals don't necessarily get the customer to the merchant, they do increase exposure and the likelihood that a customer will eventually click through to the merchant.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Great points, and definitely goals (in the broad sense) to have - but I was getting at "goals" (in the narrow sense) like the goals and funnels that you set within Analytics for tracking purposes.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    Great points, and definitely goals (in the broad sense) to have - but I was getting at "goals" (in the narrow sense) like the goals and funnels that you set within Analytics for tracking purposes.
    Ah, ok. I'll have to take a closer look at the Analytics interface.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Can you use the network URLs as goal pages? (meaning if you use the afftrack feature at SAS or whatever Avantlink calls it, can you create goals for specific tracking urls you want to see passed?)
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I'm thinking now you'd have to have an intermediary page with your own base URL and the google script on it for that to work. I.e the customer path:

Myhomepage. com -> Myproductpage. com -> Myredirectpage. com -> sastracking url.

with myredirectpage .com actually counting as the Goal.

That would be two redirects in a row though, including the SAS redirect. Not sure if that's a good idea.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Keven the GA "Goals" reporting function is usually triggered by checking off your site is ecommerce enabled.. (has shopping cart) Then up to 4 goals (cart URLs for "add to cart" "view cart" "checkout now" and Final order confirmation page) get tracked by GA.

I guess some affiliates can manipulate this GA function to report desired actions based upon goal reporting URL and embedded GA script there. The GA ecommerce tag could be embedded in the "form sent" confirmation notice page for lead programs if you collect the info yourself and then submit to commission paying merchant.

Simplier "click verification" programs exist then trying to revamp Google Analytics for this function.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hi ,

As an affiliate you should generate traffic to your site using PPC campaign, so your goal can be your landing page or your squeeze page. Indeed you should set as many goals as the number of actions that the visitor will take in your site and wich are related to promoting your affiliate site. So after your squenze page you have as a goal your thank you page.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread