Using GC in WordPress blog -- width cut off; PHP code showing
    Perhaps this belongs on the "Blogging" forum, but since it's GC, I thought I might get someone here who's had the same problem.

I created a GC store integration and put the GetData PHP code into a WordPress 2.5.1 blog page.

I'm running the Exec-PHP plugin (latest version) in my WP blog, and have never had a problem getting a page/post to work using PHP and/or Javascript.

When I try GC, though, the search box is completely messed up and some of the coding shows on the WP page. If I switch to javascript, the coding doesn't show up on the page, but the GC displays cut off on the right side, seeming to run under the sidebar.

I've tried creating a table with HTML and putting the GC code in that so I can adjust the GC store width, but that doesn't do a bit of good.

Anybody else have problems like this? Any suggestions what I need to do? I'd happily post the link here if someone wants to take a look at what's happening. But the blog is an affiliate site and I don't want to violate any TOS?

Thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

I wanted to add regarding the first post in this thread: Using this GC code gives me some product descriptions that end with the "more info..." link, but some product descriptions simply quit in mid-word.

Does this all mean that something's messed up with 1) the DiscountWatches datafeed at GC (that's the merchant I've created the store for), 2) something's messed up with the GC code itself, or, 3) the whole idea of putting GC into WP is messed up?

Hope someone responds to this thread with some suggestions, or something.

Now I remember why I generally use PopShops -- but the GC display in this case is just what I was looking for -- uh, if I could get the width issue cleared up, AND if I could get the product descriptions to display right, AND ...

Well, anyway??
    Generate more fake news.

Ah-HAH!!

I do feel like I'm talking to myself here, but I just removed the "Search" box from the GC code, and all the width problems are now cleared up.

The product descriptions now, however, are still doing some strange things, i.e., cutting off in mid-word with no "more info ..." link.
    Generate more fake news.

Gary,

Just checked out discount watches in GC and the descriptions are cut of there to in the middle off the words. You can preview it by sliding the nav bar down below the categories. But you probably already knew that, I hope. Can't help you with wordpress never used it.
    Last edited by bobs-pcmall.com; June 20th, 2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-pcmall.com
    Gary,

Just checked out discount watches in GC and the descriptions are cut of there to in the middle off the words. You can preview it by sliding the nav bar down below the categories. But you probably already knew that, I hope. Can't help you with wordpress never used it.
    Thanks, bobs-pcmall.com. At least that sounds like the problem is with the discount watches datafeed or GC, not with my particular install.

WOULD ANYONE FROM GC JUMP IN HERE??

I just created a store from the IBS datafeed, put it into a WP blog using the GetData option -- and it's messed up showing PHP code, too.

This is the ONLY PHP code I've used in WP, using the exec PHP plugin, that fails to display properly and displays parts of the coding in the post or page.

Anybody have a suggestion why this is happening? What is GetData 2.0 PHP code anyway?? Anything I can do to make GoldenCan's PHP code work in WordPress??
    Generate more fake news.

Thumbs down You're not alone
    Hi writerguy,

I am experiencing the same thing. Unfortunately, GC is pointing at my code for the cause of the extra crap around their search box. My pages/posts are empty except for GC's code. So unfortunately, they don't have an answer and neither do I. Removing the search does get rid of it, but we're losing a nice feature. Here's my email exchange w/ GC :

Dear Gus,

Thank you for using GoldenCAN.

The extra code is appearing due to some additional coding, from your side, which is adding some breaks and paragraphs to the GoldenCAN code.

GoldenCAN code is a standard code, and it should not be modified. Please revisit your code. Your code can only be modified by you!

Thank you,
    GoldenCAN Support
    http://www.GoldenCAN.com

------- Original Message --------
    Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thank you. I want to add other observations to my issue:

1. The extra code appears in my coupon-integrated store, using multiple merchants. It doesn't appear in single merchant coupon stores.
    2. Extra code is also appearing around the search box of a store-integrated, single merchant store.

Please pass this on to the development team as well.

Thank you
    Gus

------- Original Message --------
    Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dear Gus,

Thank you for using GoldenCAN.

I have communicated this issue to our development team. They will look into the matter. I will get back to you ASAP.

Thank you,
    GoldenCAN Support
    http://www.GoldenCAN.com

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGriffin
    Removing the search does get rid of it, but we're losing a nice feature.
    As replied by GoldenCAN support team, something is happening on your side when you are using GoldenCAN code, something is adding extra break tags and paragraphs tags in the resulting HTML text returned from GoldenCAN. If you view the source code of the page you can see it. When you remove the search box the javascript used by the search box is removed that is why you are feeling that page is working fine when actually it is still not.

Can you please give us some more information about the platform and WordPress version you are using or any special settings you are doing so we might be able to do some more research.

Are you modifying the PHP code given by GoldenCAN?

The only change I made to the GC code is changing from 'include' to 'readfile' as GC support mentioned that my hosting provider might not allow 'include's. This did indeed fix my problem. Other than that, I haven't modified my Wordpress site.

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGriffin
    The only change I made to the GC code is changing from 'include' to 'readfile' as GC support mentioned that my hosting provider might not allow 'include's. This did indeed fix my problem. Other than that, I haven't modified my Wordpress site.
    Have you checked the page source HTML and see the extra break and paragraph tags as i mentioned?

Mr. GoldenCan
    We have found a solution for the issue where wordpress is adding additional break tags in the GoldenCAN resulting HTML.

Just add the following line at the end of your GoldenCAN PHP Code, before the php closing tag ?>.

Code:
    remove_filter('the_content', 'wpautop');

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread