Affiliate Marketers Health Insurance?
    Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know if there is some sort of group health insurance available for affiliate marketers?

My DH is considering resigning from his job and up until now, he has carried the health insurance for our family. (Since we've got five kids, we probably ought to keep some kind of policy in effect.)

I realize we can convert his employer plan to COBRA coverage for 18 months or so, and could probably convert it to a private policy after that expires, but I wonder if there is better option other affiliate marketers have used successfully to provide coverage for their families.

What kinds of health insurance (or no insurance) are most of you using these days?

Thanks,
    Working Mom

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    This has been discussed before and if you do a search you should find at least a couple of threads on the subject. But, nothing has ever come of it, and it is unlikely that anything ever will. I for one understand your problems, as I've been paying for private health insurance for the past 24 years, and I pay an absolute fortune for coverage fraught with additional expenses and constant battles for authorizations, etc., but have I no options due to MrsHound's extensive medical problems.

There was a pretty recent thread where someone found a source for relatively inexpensive coverage for his situation, so try a search.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Hey Working Mom --

Similar boat here. We have 5 kids & I'm tempted to shift my "day job" to part time which would zap my benefits. The best thing I've found so far is buying Kaiser coverage outright/family plan. I currently have Kaiser w/my employer and the rates are surprisingly similar to what the group rates are via my employer. Some states have pretty decent Blue Cross rates for individuals.

This was actually mentioned in the PMA surveys. While I wouldn't consider it a driving factor in a vote for or against the PMA, I mention it only because it is an issue on the minds of many people, apparently.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    This was actually mentioned in the PMA surveys. While I wouldn't consider it a driving factor in a vote for or against the PMA, I mention it only because it is an issue on the minds of many people, apparently.
    Perhaps it's something that AV should look into once it's established.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Actually about a year and a half ago, Matt McWilliams suggested that he was going to look into what if anything may be possible for a group plan for affiliates. I don't recall it going any further, but it sounded like an interesting idea.

I've been paying for health insurance for my family and employees for 27 years and it is a huge expense. Just for Ellen and I, we pay over $1,700.00 a month, and that is on a PPO plan in which we each pay the first $2,000 in medical and drug costs each year. They then cover 100% of everything thereafter. With my RA it saves us nearly $6,000 over what we would have been paying on our previous plan, but it still makes me cringe. I won't even go there as for what it costs us for employee health care. ugh
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I would be open to any medical insurance available. It may be possible for an "orginization" of affiliate marketers to negotioate group rates. In many areas if you are an independent business you can obtain health insurance through your local Chamber of Commerce. We live in a small area so the rates are high, but if you could get enough people on board it may certainly be worth looking into.

If you are a young family with fairly healthy members, I'd say to keep the Cobra till it runs out and then join some business association (we have them in MA don't know about your area) where you are able to get group rates and pick like a plan with a high deductible. Even a 80/20 plan if need be. Most likely you will go to the doctor's most often for kids little sicknesses or injuries so this way you can be protected for major illnesses and/or accidents. But everyone's family situation is different. That's what we did a few years back when my husband was consulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Actually about a year and a half ago, Matt McWilliams suggested that he was going to look into what if anything may be possible for a group plan for affiliates. I don't recall it going any further, but it sounded like an interesting idea.

I've been paying for health insurance for my family and employees for 27 years and it is a huge expense. Just for Ellen and I, we pay over $1,700.00 a month, and that is on a PPO plan in which we each pay the first $2,000 in medical and drug costs each year. They then cover 100% of everything thereafter. With my RA it saves us nearly $6,000 over what we would have been paying on our previous plan, but it still makes me cringe. I won't even go there as for what it costs us for employee health care. ugh
    I remember that conversation, Alan. I think Matt gave an update a while back. I think he said the idea wasn't panning out. I'll have to see if I can find the thread.

At one time, before I was married, I paid upwards of $700 a month for just myself. But considering what it WOULD have cost without insurance, given all my medical problems, it was a bargain. I currently have great insurance through my employer, but I'm looking ahead in case I go AM full time eventually.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread