Accuracy of Linkshare Tracking
    Hello,

I'm new to Linkshare and have a question for those that have used them for a while.

How accurate is their reporting?

The merchant I am promoting has put my conversion tracking code on their thank you page for my own tracking system and the 3rd party program reports 30% more sales than Linkshare's system is reporting.

I know neither system will ever match up 100% but 30% is a HUGE difference.

Of course, it doesn't help that their reporting system is completely hosed and still seems to be behind in reporting the actual number of sales.

I've talked with my rep but since the tracking system is not working right I"m not really getting any answers.

So in your experience how accurate is their sales reporting?

Jeremy

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It is widely accepted that 30% of cookies are blocked. Have your merchant run test orders and insure that your tracking is working perfectly with their LS reporting. Because of the way LS encodes their links it takes up to a day to record so make sure you are looking at the same time frame.

Also, there is a big difference between transaction and process date. Standardize with one and stick with it in agreement with the merchant. We saw a difference on transaction and process date from monthly reports but over a 6 month period it was a wash. We use process date.

Also, you may want to work with your merchant and a LS tech to insure that your tracking doesn't conflict with theirs.

Hello Chuck,

Thanks for your feedback and insight.

I am working with the merchant and also waiting to see how the reporting works out once Linkshare's system is functioning properly.

One thing about the 30% of cookies blocked is that 30% of both tracking system's cookies would be blocked not just one system. So there is still a big difference between the 2.

I'll keep digging though and really appreciate your response.

The merchant I am promoting has put my conversion tracking code on their thank you page for my own tracking system and the 3rd party program reports 30% more sales than Linkshare's system is reporting.
    30% is a number to be concerned about.

In reading your post, I'm wondering if your merchant is signed into rewards programs with tool bars or adware.

If you haven't already, take a look at these Videos , they are worth watching.

Also, if your affiliate tracking cookies get written over by any number of parasites the sale may still show up on your tracking package but not on Linkshare reporting.

Just a thought.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The 30% are third party cookies and I would have to dig up the report. I have also talked to several big affiliates who have seen similiar numbers from their own testing.

There are several methods to get around cookie blocking the minimum of which are enabling session cookies.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread