Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Mikasa - how Do they stay in business?
    I have done pretty well with Mikasa dinnerware and glassware, but i noticed no sales from them for a while. I tested a few of my links, and every product was out-of-stock.

So, I went to mikasa dot com, and tested 2 or 3 dozen dinnerware pattern pages, and some glassware products.

Every single product I clicked on was out-of-stock!

Besides this being an absolute killer for affiliate sales, what does that say about the company? How can they operate their own site in this manner?

Astounding.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

A news search shows that Mikasa was bought out on 6/9/2008 by tabletop vendor Lifetime Brands Inc. They probably really aren't open for business online right now but instead of shutting down the site, put the inventory quantities to zero.

Thanks for the info. I just did a little research on Lifetime Brands:

Lifetime Brands is North America's leading resource for nationally branded kitchenware, tabletop and home decor products. The Company markets its products under many of the industry's best known brands, including Farberware(®, KitchenAid®, Pfaltzgraff(®, Mikasa®, Cuisinart®, Block® China and Crystal, Calvin Klein®, CasaModa®, Cuisine de France®, Gorham®, Hoffritz(®, International Silver®, Joseph Abboud™, Kamenstein®, Kirk Stieff®, Melannco®, Nautica®, Pedrini®, Roshco®, Sabatier®, Sasaki®, Towle Silversmiths®, Tuttle®, Wallace® and Vasconia®.
    Re shutting down the site, a couple of years ago Mikasa re-did their site, shutting down their affiliate program for "a couple of weeks" just before Christmas, and it was about 9-10 months before they again had working links.

It may be quite awhile before they are back.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Lightbulb
    A quick (takes a few seconds) and dirty technique I'm starting to use to discover possible problems with a merchant is to check it on google trends. Major brand name merchants will show a graph. Downtrends on their graph might mean trouble.

http://trends.google.com/websites?q=...ate=all&sort=0
    http://trends.google.com/websites?q=...ate=all&sort=0

Of course this doesn't reveal affiliate-only issues, but does give a clue of traffic & customer problems...

Thanks, simcat, that looks like a valuable tool for affiliates.

Well, I just got back after being out most of the day, and lo and behold I see a really nice Mikasa sale come up on LS. So, I checked a few of my links, and it seems that all of their products are miraculously back in stock today.

Must of been a hell of a big truck pull into that warehouse this morning.

p.s. no response yet from the email I sent yesterday when I first saw the problem.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread