linkshare and cj - using them at the same time
    question:

I want to use linkshare and cj in parallel.

I have a concern though: How do i make sure I dont pay double commission?

Example:
    Customer A goes through a CJ affiliate to my site - but does not buy
    Customer A goes through a LS affiliate to my site - but DOES buy

Do i end up paying commissions twice?

How can I only pay to the last affiliate?

Peter

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    LinkShare US requires exclusitivity so unless you can get them to agree to change that for you ( not at all easy) then you won't have that issue.

In the case of running two networks, this is a common concern, but to be honest the actual frequency of it happening is very rare, I've only seen it happen a couple of times and we decided to let it ride.

If it happens a lot then you'd need to review a policy on how to resolve replica commissions. I don't know of a technical solution

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hello Peter.

Welcome to ABW

My suggestion is to only use one network if the program is going through the same cart to avoid double commissions and headaches later. Also LS only allows you to work with them exclusively.

If you must use two networks for the same program then the other suggestion is to only let the same affiliate use only one network at a time. Usually the same affiliates might be on those two networks and will be promoting the same links and banners so it really makes no sense to me why an affiliate would promote the same program but and have to add two sets of almost the same links, banners, coupon codes or even data feed to promote the same program, but some do for a few reasons.

If you do let anyone in on both networks then the only other solution is to closely monitor sales from all angles and you will be reversing a few sales at some point that are duplicate, which then causes a bad EPC or the affiliate gets mad as to why they see too many reversals on one side or other other.

Easy to do. Set a cookie (let's say affsource=cj or affsource=othernetwork) when a user enters from each channel. This way, only the most recent will be set, as it will overwrite the old cookie. On the confirmation page, have a script check the cookie, and display the CJ pixel if the affsource cookie's value is CJ, and the other network's pixel when the affsource cookie's value is othernetwork. I don't think Linkshare uses a pixel per se, but calling whatever code by checking the cookie would be standard practice.

This is pretty much the industry standard technical solution for only having one pixel (of any kind, be it Google conversion tracking or affiliate tracking) show up in a confirmation page of a shopping cart.

As for Linkshare, they have an exclusivity contract, so you can't be in 2 networks, when one is Linkshare. However, you can be in CJ and ShareASale, for example.

Jorge - The concern really isn't with a single affiliate getting double commission, but just in general paying out twice (customer A clicks through LS link on publisher X's site, and then through CJ link on publisher Y's site).

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > The concern really isn't with a single affiliate getting double commission, but just in general paying out twice

True, I've seen that happen to with two different affiliates tracking on two networks include that too in the reasons.

CJ is better than Linkshare

I'm an affiliate and occasionally do promote the same merchant on different networks. the reasons:
    A merchant decides to allow affiliates to uise tools like Goldencan, DDF, etc. using one network but not the other.
    Different networks have advantages. For example. One netwrok might be better for a particular link (Product vs. coupons vs. content). So sometimes working on two networks makes sense when promoting a merchant.

On the main issue, if you have to use 2 different networks decide if you will pay on the first click or last click and state that in your policy. Since it's the cookie that tracks the sale, you can easily decipher where the click came from and what id.
    I personally like merchants who pay on the last click.

ABW Ambassador
    decide if you will pay on the first click or last click and state that in your policy
    Does the merchant have that option? Isn't that a network policy? It certainly should be.

I think that's a merchant's decision.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread