Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What do you guys do when you find someone copying your site?

I've had people copy parts, have seen many of my "ideas" copied on sites who've exchanged links, had people copy parts(even had one forget some affiliate links and made me an extra 120 bucks one month) but never have I have someone copy my whole site until now and I'm pis*ed off!

They forgot to change the <link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="http://lolas-site.com/lolas.css"> so it is showing in my stats.

Should I email and threaten? they've changed all the headings and links but it is still very much my site

* Why am I doing this when I could be making $2000 a week stuffing envelopes??

It's very difficult, and I get this problem all the time.
    If there was any justice in the world site copiers would have their hands removed.
    What can you do??
    Usually when you check these people are on the other side of the world.
    And who's to say they didn't come up with 'your idea' themselves.
    I try not to worry about.

His site isn't even listed on google yet, it was regsitered on July 10th. and since he's using my css file it's obvious whats going on.

Anyone in "Jasper, AL" and wanna knock on a door for me??

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    You need to make some merchants and networks aware of who he is, quickly, so you can get him/her canned.

"Well, at least I got Terre Haute" - Steve Martin, "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Exactly!

~Revenue is King

Bradley Professional Business Services can provide you with either a sheriff in Alabama, we know him very well or a born again Minister. Your choice.

I just had someone copy a website of mine word for word. And they left links in to my order form. My site is making around $10,000 a month, so a google duplicate site penalty could have cost me very dear. And as he left links to my site google would "see" both sites as being connected.

I sent him a cease and desist email demanding the content be removed in 24 hours.

No response.

So I emailed his hosting company, saying I would be taking legal action against their client and giving proof of the copyright violation.

Result, site taken down within 24 hours and the hosting company saying they would "deal" with the offender.

Hosting companies terms and conditions cover themselves to the extent that they can remove a site that is in copyright violation.

No hosting company wants to be involved in a copyright case. Show them the evidence and they will remove the site.

Find the hosting company from a whois or if they are listed on ww.alltheweb.com then type their url into the search box and click on "who owns". Even gives you their address.

And just to show you mean business state you will file a DCMA report to google once the site shows up on google, and give the link

http://www.google.com/dmca.html

Most copiers know you can't afford legal action, but a google DCMA report is free to you (as long as you are in the right), but could cost the copier a great deal. That should scare them enough to take the duplicated content down.

If nothing is done file a DCMA report anyway. Costs nothing, gets the copier removed and will give him enough grief to think twice about doing it again.

And most importantly, it should protect you from a duplicate content penalty from google.

Also, if there is dispute over who created the content first, google keeps it's page caches. So if your content is in the google cache before the copiers site, case proven.

Well, that's my advice anyway, worked for me. Next time I intend to just go straight to their hosting company, don't forget to quote the DCMA report, means you know what you are talking about and are being serious.

Hope this helps.

Thanks SeventiesMartin, that was a great post.

I sent him an email asking him to remove the copied material, and I will wait 24 hours, then contact his hosting company.

It won't be hard to prove whose in the wrong since his site was only registered on the 10th.

Am I allowed to post the site here?

Let us know how you get on.

These site copiers need to be dealt with. It's just another form of theft.

I have a lot of copiers. I think my site is just too good.

What I do.

1. email them and ask them to remove the contents VERY POLITELY. telling them they violate our terms and include the URL to our terms. Tell them it takes a lot of time and effort to build up a web site. I even say 'You can easily understand this as a webmaster'!

This work with all my cases.

2. Contact web hosting providers. Don't be too polite, state anything LEGAL. I think if you try to be soft or begging, they won't care about you. Once I contact the hosting providers at the same time I email the webmaster as the COPIER COPY 99% of my site and even domain name! The hosting provider call him and leave a message for him!

3. DCMA. Can someone explain more about this? How could I use it? I think I will one day meet some stuborn webmasters.

DCMA

Go to googles DCMA pages

http://www.google.com/dmca.html

Then click on the Infringement Notification link. Google will then in effect take on the copyright infringer. Read the page on the above link and imagine being on the receiving end, I think that would scare of most copiers.

The copyrighted material does need to be indexed on google first, and make sure you can prove you are in the right and it shouldn't cost.

I don't know of any other way of actually taking action against someone without actually incurring legal costs etc.

If you really want to be nasty... and have some images being downloaded from your server (using your bandwidth) you can rename some images and insert XXX photos... I did this and it put a stop to it really quick!

Gil

They wrote back asking if they could use the template and link back to my site, or make another deal...since they went through so much trouble putting the site up. LOL

The cheek of some people just make you laugh.

Did they copy the content of your site, if so a google duplicate content penalty could be a problem, especially if they link back.

They took the site down! There's a message saying the site will be back up next week...hopefully one they make themselves, not copied off someone elses!!

Well done Lola.

Another one bites the dust.

Ahh copy cats.
    You know, I never really noticed until we started receiving emails and pm's daily from our members. Now it almost seems out of hand and we get a chuckle out of it.

Lets take today for example.
    Our site is Crazycooldealz

Now, you'll notice at Bensbargains.net there are posts today that look awefully familiar.
    (Take for example the Sony post which took me an hour to put together) I mean.. how close can his sony pda post be? lol

Its just a typical day for us today of seeing our work plagarized on his/her site.

Im glad to see that several of you have been able to do something to fix this.

Us on the other hand.. well... were just a lil ol site trying to make it big. (Compare our CRAZYCOOLDEALZ.com traffic to BENSBARGAINS.net traffic and you'll see what im talking about.)

We have never copied one of his/her posts and never will. What do we do about it? Not a thing. We just continue to make him/her money and smile because we think in the end all our hard work will pay off in the end for us.

Life is good, and were having a blast as we watch our site grow and Bens explodes with our deals! lol

Take Care
    Mike
    AKA FiSH at www.crazycooldealz.com

fish@crazycooldealz.com

I am not sure you really have to worry about many here copying your site. I won't "stoop" to that level

Also, I really don't understand what you are trying to say about "posts." I do know that you will find the following tagline at the top of bensbargains page; "Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on deals"

Now that's what I call ad copy!

Is there really someone out there that takes the trouble to point out that Bens has stolen content from crazy?

Lastly, one of your three SPAM's (uh, I mean) URL's for your site is goofed up.

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

"I am not sure you really have to worry about many here copying your site. I won't "stoop" to that level"

OK

"Is there really someone out there that takes the trouble to point out that Bens has stolen content from crazy?"

Why yes, its the only way we found out about it.

"Lastly, one of your three SPAM's (uh, I mean) URL's for your site is goofed up."

At no time did I reply to this thread to offend you or anyone else here. It was not my intention to "spam" in this thread either. Someone started this thread I thought for a reason and felt it was the place to put this message here and share my/our experiences with "COPY CATS" as the title says.(I thought thats why it was here, I apologize I misunderstood) I will now glady remove our site name since (im not sure how) it appears to have struck a nerve.

Sorry
    Mike

It says I cant edit my post for 30 minutes so moderators, feel free to remove our name.
    Thanks and I apologize.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I didn't see anything spamorrific about that post.

~Revenue is King

crazycooldeals, what a cute site! I love the eyeballs

I to have had my parade of copiers. When I write people who have my deals word for word, I always get a note that they have no idea who sent that in, yet they have my html right in there with my unique coding from my editor... even though they don't use the same editor as I do.... UGH!

Seems to me sites would want their OWN content to make their site unique. Those who do prosper, those who copy, probably don't go far.

Anne - From us at CrazyCoolDealz Thank ya! We had a wonderful designer!

buy_online, I am confused as to why you would think that Mike would spam here of all places, as everyone here has their own sites I am sure they buy from! We are Crazy, not stoopey! LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come to our site!
    CrazyCoolDealz.com

I would say pretty neat site myself.

My vote is that it ain't either

On some of my sites I use embedded javascript tracking (WebTrendsLive and others). It's amazing how many times completely different sites turn up in the tracking because someone's ripped off a page.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast