Just a rant
    I know that I'm new here, but the title here fits me right of this forum fits me right now. I've been really trying hard to get my affiliate business up and going, learning HTML, WordPress, and I seem to be stuck somewhere in the middle so I've been researching like crazy. Geez, I'm working so hard and putting in so much time and learning so much. How about a little support and understanding from your family and friends? I guess they say the worst critics are those closest to you. Can't tell you how many times I've heard, so you're going to be one of those who sends all those emails. Geez.......give me a break.

OK just a rant.....
    1stopshopping4moms.com
    Tired of browsing the net for what you are looking for?
    Hundreds of stores in one place with the best prices

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    This business is much harder than people think coming in.

I will tell you, though, if you perservere (and learn some great seo skills), you can make it.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfamily5
    I guess they say the worst critics are those closest to you.
    I know where you are coming from. Most of my friends think that I'm just staying home and goofing off. Maybe they're right.

ABW Ambassador
    Most people just have no idea what affiliate marketing is. Or even know the potential for earning a living at home. There are so many of these infomercials claming instant wealth working at home, so most people really don't believe that you can earn money at home

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Most people just have no idea what affiliate marketing is. Or even know the potential for earning a living at home.
    My wife thinks that anyone who spends this much time on a computer is
    just visiting "chat rooms".........She does not question where the checks
    are comming from.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

It's tough not getting the support you need from family and friends, but don't let that get you down. Keep working at what your doing, and remember that the people here at ABW do understand you, as we've been through it before. We know what it's like starting out and learning the ropes, then only to try and explain it to someone on the outside who doesn't get it.

Fortunately for me, I haven't had anyone talk about it negatively when I try to explain what I do now. When I start explaining what I do, I try to keep it simple, something along the lines of "I promote merchants and receive a commission for sending them sales." If the person asks more, I'll tell them more, and usually by the end of the conversation, they are impressed that I can do that.

Keep your chin up and don't let anyone get you down. If they still don't get it after trying to explain, just tell them it's complicated...

My ex thinks affiliate marketing and social media are a joke. She wanted me to be a fireman.

What pains me the most about this thread is the email comment.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    What pains me the most about this thread is the email comment.
    What email comment, Kevin?

Hey, Thanks everyone, I knew you would understand. Hey Kevin, I know what you mean about the emails. Hits me to the bone.
    1stopshopping4moms.com
    Tired of browsing the net for what you are looking for?
    Hundreds of stores in one place with the best prices

The last time I tried to explain it to someone I got "Oh, you do those pop-ups".

Grrrr.........

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfamily5
    I know that I'm new here, but the title here fits me right of this forum fits me right now. I've been really trying hard to get my affiliate business up and going, learning HTML, WordPress, and I seem to be stuck somewhere in the middle so I've been researching like crazy. Geez, I'm working so hard and putting in so much time and learning so much. How about a little support and understanding from your family and friends? I guess they say the worst critics are those closest to you. Can't tell you how many times I've heard, so you're going to be one of those who sends all those emails. Geez.......give me a break. OK just a rant.....

Hey NY5, there is no end to the supply of outside critics, so don't let it bother you. In the end, the only person who has to understand what you do and how you do it is you. The rest is unimportant. If people think you send mail, so be it. If they think you work as a weight guesser at weekend carnivals, so be it. People will always judge others and always misinterpret what they don't know. In the meantime you have a business to build, so buck up and make it happen. Good luck to you!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Most people just have no idea what affiliate marketing is. Or even know the potential for earning a living at home. There are so many of these infomercials claming instant wealth working at home, so most people really don't believe that you can earn money at home
    When someone asks me what I do, I never say "affiliate marketing" because they would be clueless as to what that is. And I'm hesitant to say "internet marketing" as well, because then they think of the spammers and long sales letters. So I tend to say something like "Internet retail sales"...which is pretty much true because what I do is not much different from the activities of some employees of the merchants.

As for family, fortunately no real issues for me there.... my wife is getting very involved with the business, and I've had some help from a couple of brothers too. So they know exactly what I'm up to.
    --

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread