New Type Of Lead Gen Fraud
    I know, I know, lead gen is riddled with fraud. It is sooo easy to commit fraud in this business, I am often amazed we are able to keep doing business. Recently I have been confronted with a new and interesting type of fraud. Some examples of the set up can be found at diamond50 dot com, ratesource dot org, or finance4usa dot com. What this guy/gal, and other like him are doing, is picking up 10 different lead gen offers per verticle, in my case debt offers. He/she is generating debt leads using his/her own method and then entering these leads in all these different debt forms, across several networks, so he/she can get paid 10 times over for the same lead.

By the time we, or one of our clients get to the lead, the consumer has been contacted by 20 or 30 companies offering them debt help. Interestingly enough though, the leads appear to valid, and there is a substantial quantity of them. So, these guys appear to be very good at generating the leads.

So, heads up to other merchants/advertisers/AMs. You might want to have a look at the sites mentioned above and make sure your offers arent on there.

Outsourced Program Manager
    This type of activity can be monitored with IP level tracking coinciding with OID parameters in an internal lead filtering system- Normally someone who is managing a lead gen account who knows what they are doing can stop this quickly by spotting an IP dump (more then 2 leads per IP is automatically flagged and monitored) - Lead Gen is not riddled with fraud when you hire people who know how to manage a CPL campaign..

Thanks for posting the URL's....

Cheers,

Wow, you come out of the gate assuming I don't know how to manage a cpl campaign, how friendly of you. This guy is masking the his ip with the orignal ip of each individual lead, so they are all different. Pretty easy to do, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by FYCZach
    This guy is masking the his ip with the orignal ip of each individual lead, so they are all different. Pretty easy to do, actually.
    And how do they do that? I consider myself pretty savvy in terms of catching shady crap in a program, and I've never seen this. Also, I can't find one site online that gives me a tool to spoof my IP to any IP I want.

I suppose I was a little hasty by saying "pretty simple, actually". I was a little emotional from being burned by one of my heroes, Heather Paulson (no joke, I saw her speak at the last affiliate summit, and I fell in love).

There are a number of ways he could be sending unique ip's, I don't know for sure how he is doing it, and it's not really simple. Somehow, he is forging the source ip addresses in the packet header using a combination of a script and proxy software that includes a rule that generates random IP addresses, seeing as how the ip addresses for each lead are all over the place.

Outsourced Program Manager
    No burn I was not referring to you or your management style, I was referring to CPL in general - I have seen this before and hope I could help - If you PM me a few of the IP's you have coming in I could assist, the random IP's you are seeing has me curious..

Quote Originally Posted by FYCZach
    By the time we, or one of our clients get to the lead, the consumer has been contacted by 20 or 30 companies offering them debt help.
    I ran into something similar a few years ago. The affiliate was sending a ton of leads (mortgage refi), but the buyers were complaining about lead quality. I finally started calling new leads on my own to spot check. Everyone I talked to was pissed off. They'd filled out forms, just not always about mortgage refi and not recently. One of the people I called, a fresh lead from that day, had actually passed away some time prior to my call.

Long story short, the ass-hat was capturing lead data on a number of programs and resubmitting to a bunch of other programs behind a host of proxies. I can't remember if they were using staggered submission patterns as well, but in the end the phone calls sealed it and the affiliate was booted. Unfortunately, the program never pursued it further, so I'm sure the affiliate is still running the same scams today...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread