New Niche Website Or Existing General Website
    I've been toying with affiliate marketing for a couple of years now and have been reading a lot on this and other forums. I haven't had the time to be serious about making money, until now. Not that I have more time, but I have more motivation to find time.

My question is this. I have a website that I've had for about 10+ years. It's my personal site I created a long time ago mostly as a hobby of mine. It's gone through a lot of changes over the years and looks pretty good now. About a year ago, I though I would try posting more blogs and articles and really try to generate a lot of good content. I just didn't keep up with it very well. However, some of those articles I posted are getting hits from search engines. I guess because my site has been around for so long and gets indexed by the search engines so much, that depending on the topic searched for, my site ranks pretty high. So I'm thinking if I do a better job of keeping it up-to-date and adding more content, I could generate a good bit of traffic.

However, I see so much of the affiliate marketing discussion is focused around finding a niche market. My website is definately not a niche unless you consider me a niche (might be but I'm sure not too many people would be interested). My site contains articles and information about things I'm interested in, not really focused on one area.

Do you guys think this is a good way to go? Or is it important that I focus on one niche for a site? I've got some ideas for sites specific to niche markets and can put the sites together pretty quickly and start adding content. But, I don't have much of a way to generate traffic without having to pay for AdWords or something like that and I don't have much of a budget for that.

Thank you in advance for any opinions you can share!

Brian

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    You aren't limited to having one type of website.

If the site you are talking about is the site in your profile then you'd probably make more if you either picked a specific topic; or just used adsense, as a random banner flashing is so 1998...i.e. don't expect to make bank off of that unless you are getting paid directly to show the ad.

However if you were talking about specific products in your writings that might help too... but I'd still go with Adsense.

Some people here don't like Adsense; I do as it payed the bills when I was ramping up my affiliate efforts.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Both general sites and niche sites can be good. if you do go with a niche site, make sure that there are several merchants available for your niche. There is nothing worse than making a niche site only to have the affiliate program close, or worse and then not have a good way to monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by cabobrian
    My question is this. I have a website that I've had for about 10+ years. It's my personal site I created a long time ago mostly as a hobby of mine. It's gone through a lot of changes over the years and looks pretty good now. About a year ago, I though I would try posting more blogs and articles and really try to generate a lot of good content. I just didn't keep up with it very well. However, some of those articles I posted are getting hits from search engines. I guess because my site has been around for so long and gets indexed by the search engines so much, that depending on the topic searched for, my site ranks pretty high. So I'm thinking if I do a better job of keeping it up-to-date and adding more content, I could generate a good bit of traffic.

However, I see so much of the affiliate marketing discussion is focused around finding a niche market. My website is definately not a niche unless you consider me a niche (might be but I'm sure not too many people would be interested). My site contains articles and information about things I'm interested in, not really focused on one area.

Do you guys think this is a good way to go? Or is it important that I focus on one niche for a site? I've got some ideas for sites specific to niche markets and can put the sites together pretty quickly and start adding content. But, I don't have much of a way to generate traffic without having to pay for AdWords or something like that and I don't have much of a budget for that.

Thank you in advance for any opinions you can share!

Brian

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread