Does look and feel effect your decision to join program?
    Hello...I've been selling very successfully on ebay and amazon but never really created my own webstore. Well as fees have gone sky high i have decided to spend some time building my web store and then giving those fees to affiliates, unfortunately i'm not rich and have to do everything myself so my store might not look professional (thinkbamboo.com) or 100 percent complete as i'm constantly learning new tricks and changing things around.

I was wondering when affiliates look at joining a program do you pay a lot of attention to the look and feel of a store or does it not really matter to you? Most important is the program itself right? I was thinking of 10% and then a $10 bonus of some sort. I know my products sell but as i'm not a web designer nor have enough money to hire one i will have to slowly build it up myself. I was hoping to get affiliates to generate traffic for me and sooner or later have the money to hire someone to design my store. I'm just taking baby steps. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 25th, 2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: buy an ad if your going to hotlink

I removed your hotlink ... if you want to advertise do so.

As for your site design ... it's done by channeladvisor ... they know what works, so this just looks and stinks like spam. Baby steps yeah ok.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Sorry about the link, i didn't mean for it to look like spam. BTW, yes the basic design is done by channeladvisor but i have some control over custom HTML and will also be making all my own landing pages for the different categories. The shopping cart system is CA, i don't know why you feel this is spam. I thought it was a legitimate question. I mean i don't wanna cough up the $550 set up fee for SAS only to have people not interested in my affiliate program since the website doesn't look nice. I'm just trying to do some research before pulling the trigger on SAS and just wanted to know if people think its fine the way it is now while i work on the website.

Does the site convert? has it been tested? if not then it's a waste of affiliate's traffic and your time. Affiliate marketing isn't about plunking down XX and opening the doors and waiting for the money to flow ... I seriously suggest that you learn more about AM, speak with an OPM and learn the business. The niche (bamboo) is hot - if you augment your line to incorporate products like calibamboo I'm sure you'll rake in the $$ if you do it right.

So to answer your Q ... affs will push your site if your terms are fair, and the site converts.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I think you have a nice niche.

There are some merchants I take a look at and if it looks just thrown together or like a second grader put it together, probably not. I wouldn't trust my CC info on sites like that.

Overall your design is decent enough.

I definitely look at a merchant site's quality, including several factors:
    - does it look reasonably professional, crisp, neat?
    - is it easy for a consumer to find and buy something?
    - is relevant information readily accessible (shipping cost, delivery times)
    - is there a privacy policy? would I trust the site, as a consumer?
    - are there excessive 'steps' or delays in the shopping process?
    - are there "leaks" (third-party links and ads)
    - is there genuine contact info (location, phone number)?

The level of "scrutiny" that affiliates give merchants often depends on the "type" of affiliate. Some affiliates are "all-joiners" who will join every program (many coupon & deal sites fall in this category, as do the incentive sites).

Many affiliates look "beyond" to examine pricing (is it competitive?), product images (good clear quality?), return policies, and other factors that might impact sales and affiliate ROI.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Excellent post from Mark!

The only thing I would add is that many will also look at tha variety of check out options you offer. Just Credit Card, or Credit Card, Pay Pal, Google Check Out and others... and are they all plugged in to your affiliate program fully and correctly.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Speaking more as a consumer, the look of the site is important. Who wants to submit their credit card information to a site that looks 3rd rate? It has to look clean and professional. Doesn't have to have lots of bells and whistles.

And if it a site I wouldn't shop at based on its looks, I will not promote it as an affiliate.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Hi! Nice to "meet" you. I think you are making a good move, taking eggs out of the 3rd party baskets and investing in growing your own web site. Speaking as a former ebayer who got really fed up with ebay's changes and pretty much quit selling there, I sincerely wish you the very best of luck. A lot of sellers are making the transition off of ebay (or minimizing their presence on ebay) and seeing success, so you are in good company.

When I evaluate a site as an affiliate, I usually put on my "buyer" hat first. Most (not all) of the sites I promote are sites that I actually do buy from. The rest are sites that I would want to buy from.

Also, Haiko is correct about learning more about the affiliate business. Taking time to learn more about it will be time well spent. It is likely that you will have to spend time recruiting affiliates. Shareasale is a smart choice of networks. They are great to work with. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Good luck!!! Hope to see you around the forum more.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread