Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm having a bad 2 years...
    and I need to complain about it. Just to get it off my chest.
    Im kind of in shock about it.

Long story short, I spent 2 years building a blog. Its a womens blog and I know 0 about the topic, but I thought I discovered a killer niche so I built the site and learned as I went.

So I hired women to post on the blog. Put it all on my credit card figuring when the money comes it'll make the mimumum payments.
    2 years later the blog had 5,300 origional posts and I've paid $15-20k for that content.

My income from it is very low. The first year I had nothing and I ate spaghettios and ramen and paid the bills from my credit card. The second year its always hovered around $2k a month from sponsors, but half that goes to pay the writers and expenses.

Then in April 2008 my main sponsor said my traffic and sales went up and Im owed $3,900 for the month. I couldnt believe it! I was like Yes its finally happening to me. 2 years of hard work and building this site and now Im going to start making money every month.

Well today, 2 months later, I get a note that my payment is going through and its $1,100. The $3,900 was an error on their part.

Im so mad. 24 MONTHS of HARD work and Im making $1-2k a month still?
    I should be making $10k a month.
    Im so mad, and so stupid. AND I hate this site. I cant even look at it. I didnt update it today.

I havent gone out much with friends in 2 years, no short trips, just me sitting in front of my computer for 2 years. And I took busses to places because I was saving money for this "goldmine" site to take off.

2 years of pumping a dry well, and ending up with
    I feel like such a moron. I hate myself.

#1 Never ever hate yourself.

#2 Things are never as bad as they seem.

Would you be interesting in placing your site in the site review section of ABW in order to get some feedback?

-sfcom

Yeah, for real. Don't hate yourself, and don't hate your site. There are a lot of affiliates who would kill to be pulling in over a grand or two a month, even if some of that did go to paying expenses. You have traffic. You have contributors. People like the site.

The only question is: how can you increase the income? To answer that, just ask for help! Don't give up. You have it started up, you just need to aim it in the right direction.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Is that $1,100 per month? If so, that's quite an achievement. It's bound to grow even more. Spend a little less time focused on this blog and spend a little more time enjoying yourself and going out with friends.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Geez! 1-2k a month? That's not bad, I would be proud as punch if I were you!

I had a content site that I knew ALOT about, wrote my own content, ranked high it SE's for specific keywords and only made .54. LOL (guess that doesn't say much for my writing skills) I think you have achieved a good bit =]

Don't be so hard on yourself =] Take some time off and relax, you may feel different in a few weeks!

Best wishes!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    I'm sure every great entrepenuer at one time has said that exact same rant/complaint you have.

Please don't take this as a rub, but why would you invest so much of yourself in a business (subject) that doesn't interest you? Because it was a killer niche? Where this is no passion, there is no true success. Yes, your blog may grow and produce money for you, but it is a weight around your neck.
    Ask yourself, if you could start all over again, this time with something you were really interested in sharing with the world, what would it be?

ABW Ambassador
    If you are paying others for content for a site that you have no interest in the subject, then you have no control over that site.

You are relying on others. You will never succeed if you are not passionate about the subject.

Paying someone else to write content is great if you can use it to add value to a content site that you are passionate about.

Having someone else write content for a site you don't care about is doomed to failiure.

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    Please don't take this as a rub, but why would you invest so much of yourself in a business (subject) that doesn't interest you? Because it was a killer niche?
    correct

Where this is no passion, there is no true success.
    Correct. Its drudgery to update it everyday

Yes, your blog may grow and produce money for you, but it is a weight around your neck.
    thats how it feels, like a weight atround my neck, but without the money part.

Ask yourself, if you could start all over again, this time with something you were really interested in sharing with the world, what would it be?
    probably video games or tech stuff, but I dont know how to make money with them online.
    I cant start something new now if I dont know if Im going to make money with it and I end up in the same position as today.
    My brain cant take it. I would shut down and go get a job washing dishes.

Ive been trying to make money online for 7 years and made a little but never did well. These past 2 years were my "crunch time" where I was supposed to get real and serious and take everything I knew and use my skills and knowledge to make good money, and when its over I made nothing. Thats why Im upset. its been a loooooooong road.
    Since July of 2001.

Im just ranting...dont expect an answer to that

it feels good to get this out.

You might consider this...
    Your site has fairly good income, but you have to pay to get content.
    You aren't passionate about the subject, so you will never be a contributor as far as writing. So this will always be a large slice of your income going to others.
    Perhaps it is time to take your equity out.
    Sell the site ...It might be very attractive to someone who has a passion in the subjects you cover, and would not have the expenses of writers,making it a profitable venture for them.

A good site can bring 8-12 months revenue or more.Especially if the buyer can see a way to increase profit by doing a larger portion of the contributions.
    Take part of the proceeds and start a site about your interests.
    Just my 1.8 cents
    Good luck either way, and stop beating yourself up.
    Many people would love to have the courage to try to do what you have done.

My suggestion is keep the site, don't pay for content, and post once a week. The income may not grow but will probably hold steady and you will have time to work on a site you actually like.

Hey grove --

If anything you should be commended for your diligence & perseverance in this effort! As others have said, $2k a month is not shabby at all. One question would be whether the site really needs $1k of new content each month. You might also experiment with other income streams such as Adsense and affiliate marketing links (not sure if all of your income are site sponsors paying for banners and such). You could also shop around for cheaper content production. I'd even experiment with not updating content for a while and seeing how long it takes before traffic slides off. If you really are fed up, try to sell it. I'd guess you could get at least $20k given the numbers you've mentioned. Sitepoint.com has a pretty vibrant auction process for sites like yours. As others have said, what you've done is quite an accomplishment so go easier on yourself!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I would like to have a couple of your bad years.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Spend a little less time focused on this blog and spend a little more time enjoying yourself and going out with friends.
    I agree, Im going out to play some board games tonight. leaving now. I feel better that I made that post.
    Im laughing now at how ridiculous my "career" is.

Just take a vacation or short break from this. When you come back you will be able to assess your situation and think more clearly, make the right decision.

Sorry you find yourself in this difficult situation! Not that it helps, but, I am seriously impressed by your perseverance.

I think, if I were in that situation, I would sell the site and start over. Seems to me that life is too short to be hating your own business, let alone hating yourself over it. I'd suggest trying again with another niche that you love and are knowledgeable about. Or even better, a niche that you are passionately interested in learning more about. That way, even if the next site is a flop you will have learned a great deal about something you wanted to learn more about.

Quote Originally Posted by grove
    I cant start something new now if I dont know if Im going to make money with it and I end up in the same position as today.
    My brain cant take it. I would shut down and go get a job washing dishes.
    That makes sense to me. If you don't start something new now then two years from now you won't have anything. It's interesting this thing called 'time'. It continues onward even if we're not ready to.

You have two options, sell the site to someone who will enjoy the fruits of your labor, and you get some money out of it. Take the money and spend the next two years building a new site using what you've learned with this one. Or do nothing, let the site die on it's own or be miserable while trying to build a site you hate and two years from now you'll likely be in a similar position as you are today.

Sounds like the folks here have given you the options and ideas you need, the question is, will you take them?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Agree with everything that's been said especially:
    "Yeah, for real. Don't hate yourself, and don't hate your site. There are a lot of affiliates who would kill to be pulling in over a grand or two a month, even if some of that did go to paying expenses. You have traffic. You have contributors. People like the site.

The only question is: how can you increase the income? To answer that, just ask for help! Don't give up. You have it started up, you just need to aim it in the right direction."
    Definitely don't hate yourself, that's only gonna make ya feel bad and not accomplish anything at all. Besides....no reason to be down on yourself like that....so stop it. Not ordering you, just a friendly tellin ya to stop it.

Can't say much that the others haven't already said but uhhh definitely agree that you're doin a whole lot better than a lot of us and they'd be happy to be doin the way you are. If you're miserable with the topic....unless all ya care about is the money....makes no sense to be choosing that topic. Choose something you like and you won't hate whatever it is as much.

Good luck with whatever you do next and remember.....stop bein so hard on yourself and definitely stop hating yourself. If ya like the gaming stuff.....go for that.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I think that you're doing great. $1-2K a month and you aren't writing any of your own content. I just wonder why you selected a topic you don't like.
    If you really are making that much a month then just spend a few dollars more to have someone else add that content to the site and this time start a second site about something you actually like a little!

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I just wonder why you selected a topic you don't like.
    Well heck, haven't we all done that at one point or another? I know I did. We see what we think will be an opportunity for some good income, and we figure "well, I can put up with it, it can't be that bad". The lesson that you should concentrate on what you love is one that has to be learned, otherwise nobody would need to talk about it
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I feel for you, I made 5 sites in my first 2 years that I still despise. I would sell it, maybe ask your content writers if they want to buy it.

I am a big fan of passion, all my new sites require it and I suggest that you try it also just with cheaper writers.

Why not see if you have any competion near your niche and sell the site to them.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Or....talk to some of the females here on this site, and post a free ad for them on your site in exchange for an article they write for you.

I don't know what your niche is, but I am a woman, so I am sure I could relate.

And since I am a newbie to this world, I would be more than willing to help you for the added exposure for my sites.

Cuts your expenses...you would still have money coming in, and maybe hate yourself a little less

Just my 2 cents.

Hugs
    Susan

even if you're not making the kind of $ you dreamed of, you have definitely learned a LOT from this - right?

keep up the work! apply your learnings! network with other bloggers etc..

good luck!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by grove
    Im so mad. 24 MONTHS of HARD work and Im making $1-2k a month still?
    I should be making $10k a month.
    Why?

Look, you have done very well over 2 years as a part-timer. It is very difficult to make over $1000 per month for a single. There are very few who earn more than $10000 a month without doing it full-time.

If you would like a change, I suggest that you should sell the site and start another one. Established sites like yours that earn a good steady income are hard to come by and should fetch a good price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast