Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Your Input Needed! Help Me Make 4Checks Better!
    I need your help. I want to improve site conversion.

I know that our program has what I think is a strong conversion rate already, but I've never been one to be happy with "good" or even "great" status - I want the best. And I want it for you. I know that awesome conversion means more affiliate sales, which means more affiliate commissions, which means happy affiliates, which means a happy Kim.

To my I am challenging you to help me locate areas on 4Checks or on any of our brands' sites (Check Gallery, Artistic Checks, Check Crafters, Classic Checks, Identity Checks, Image Checks, LifeChecks, Message!Products, Styles Checks and Unique Checks) that need work. What ideas do you have to make our sites easier to use, nicer to look at, easier to navigate, etc.

I am open to any and all suggestions and will be forwarding them on to our IT group. Feel free to post them here, email them to me or give me a call.

What's in it for you, you might ask? I'll enter all ideas and suggestions into a bucket for a random drawing. The winner receives $50 bucks and the happiness in knowing your idea will help me on my journey of raising the bar for 4Checks. That, and checks of your very own (hey, it's what 4Checks does best!) in any design of your choosing. I will post the winning idea, and the winner, with permission.

Deadline: July 18, 2008

Thanks in advance for your participation. Let's have some fun!
    Last edited by Kim Salvino; June 27th, 2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added deadline. :)
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Kewl idea Kim.
    Do we get one chance at the pot for EACH of our ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker
    Kewl idea Kim.
    Do we get one chance at the pot for EACH of our ideas?
    Sounds good to me. Bring 'em on!

For the record, I've got a BIG bucket and I hope to fill it to the brim.

Here's my first one for the "bucket." Bring GigglePrint on board.

(I need shirts and cards for Boston for three people.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Here's my first one for the "bucket." Bring GigglePrint on board.

(I need shirts and cards for Boston for three people.)
    If you click on the banner from one of the brands' sites and order from GigglePrint, it will track to your 4Checks account. I thank visitourmall for challenging us to fix this a while back.

However, at this time, I don't encourage promotion of GigglePrint because, frankly, I just don't feel it's ready. We need to "get our house in order" before launching an affiliate program. I can tell you it has been set up with SAS and we're smoothing out the details for the affiliate program itself, but it will not launch until it is something I honestly believe will convert strongly and be built for customer useability.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great product, we have a ton of talented people here working on enhancements and I really, really want to be the clean alternative to many existing online print suppliers. But I won't bend my quality standards to "get it done" because ultimately, you all will suffer for it.

When it is ready for launch, you'll hear from me!

Anybody else want to add to my bucket?!

*Bump*

Please help me give away $50 and an order of checks!

a few thoughts
    a) When you click each category you see checks arranged in a specific order. It is not an alphabetic one. What is the order? By popularity? If so, customers may want to know about this.

b) I think the use of styles in the side menus is cool. I'd also implement it in the top/bookmarks menu (kind of like you have it done here at ABW, but I'd play with the change of background color too).

c) Currently there are 828 check designs at the 4checks.com website. However, the list of bestsellers contains only 13 checks. It may be a good idea to have bestsellers for each subcategory, or at least for each category (America, Animals, Causes, etc).

d) When you go off the main page, the side menus disappear. The "Check Categories" one is accesible through the main menu on top, but the "Our Products" and "Check Accessories" (which both contain a ton of good related products) isn't easily seen, and unless you return to the homepage, you will not see it. It may be good to test if integrating them into the check pages will improve conversion (kind of like you do at the checkgallery.com website, but more detailed and not interfering with the main menu).

e) I am not sure how transfering the customer back and forth between different websites of the same merchant influences conversion, but if I were the one shopping, I'd like to see every page list the family of websites (just to feel more secure, and understanding of what is going on).

G.

Thanks for your thoughts, Geno! Much appreciated.

C'mon guys. You won't hurt my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by AM@4checks
    ......C'mon guys. You won't hurt my feelings.
    Well, you got two responses so far. I would like to see your line expanded into a few more ancillary products (a'la GigglePrint) and Geno came up with a couple of small, but relevant, points. But, honestly Kim, you have put your heart and soul into 4Checks to build it into the fine program that it is. There are just not a "bucketful" of changes to suggest.

But (always a "but," right?) I just started on a couple of new "checks" sites yesterday afternoon. They will become "projects" for my summer help. So, as Jilly Beans works through your sites to find some gems for her to promote, I will ask her to look at "things" as a shopper might. Some of us aff types have been working from the marketing viewpoint for so long we may overlook things that can prove irksome, or questionable, to a shopper. I took her observations to Think Tank last fall and they were well received. In fact one merchant even rewarded her with free shoes in exchange for her observations. So she may be able to toss a couple of things in your bucket - but don't count on getting many.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

*Bump*

I know 4Checks and the individual brand sites can not be perfect.

Please speak up and share your ideas for improvement for a chance to win $50!

*Bump*

Today is the last day to get your suggestions in!

Please feel free to post them, PM them or email them my way for your chance to win $50.

Well you know I am always in for a freebie

Just a couple of things:

404 errors:
    http://www.identitychecks.com/My/FirstTimeChecker.aspx
    >> click on e.g. "privacy policy" and most of left column links gives errors

seo:
    Most of alt tags for images are blank. I would at least add the word "check, cheque, or 4checks" in

thanks Kim!

edit: oh yeah, your cuddly buddy are so cute. Will need to take a closer look.

Thanks ladidah! We were trying a little something new. Good catch!

C'mon everyone - send your suggestions my way. Just 2 1/2 more hours to go and I will announce the winner on Monday.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Kim,

I have a suggestion: take the fact that no one is coming up with much on how to make your program better as the ultimate compliment!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'd love to see more character checks with no restrictions on promoting them.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Kim,

I have a suggestion: take the fact that no one is coming up with much on how to make your program better as the ultimate compliment!
    Exactly what I had in mind. Kim rocks!

Awwww. Thanks, Beachy.

Rexanne - Good one.

Alan - Even the brightest diamond needs shining once in a while to keep it luminous.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I know I am too late for the contest but I am not sure your Order Now call to action box is the most user friendly. I think it should stand out more, be a different color be a little more informative possibly.

Since we deliver what we believe is very targeted traffic to your shopping cart pages we believe we have already prequalified people so the only thing stopping the order is the closing the deal with a clear cut, friendly, trust building call to action.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Let's Extend This Offer!
    I'm going to extend the suggestion deadline to Sunday night, midnight.

I appreciate your feedback. Rest assured, every idea will be passed on directly to our Web Designers and Web Developers.

Keep it coming, folks!

OK, found a couple of "things" today. I was showing Jilly Beans some things to look for in evaluating programs. Possibly I chose the wrong example.

Artistic Cehcks: Is this a "LEAK" - a Chase Platinum Visa link on the Artistic Checks home page (bottom right corner) - http://www.artisticchecks.com/Home.aspx? And is the phone number being tracked on that page - don't see an SAS tracking code.

CheckCrafters: has this banner and number...
    Is this being tracked?

Check Gallery: has this banner ad:
    Is this being tracked or is it a LEAK?

OK, sorry, I'll stop. But if these are leaks they have got to be hurting conversions for affiliates and also keeping some affiliates from joining and promoting the 4Checks program. And that would be a shame because 4Checks is a wonderful program.

You mentioned to Alan that "Even the brightest diamond needs shining once in a while to keep it luminous." Might these examples be a bit of tarnish showing through?
    Last edited by Beachy; July 19th, 2008 at 11:04 PM.

Spending years in a corporate retail chain IT environment I picked up a lot of marketing methods and techniques. One was the choice of interior store colors. They used muted and subdued colors for walls, flooring and fixtures. This way the color of the products stood out and were well emphasized with little background distraction. This was an effective way to showcase the products. I use this method in our websites. And with that I suggest changing the color of the blue bar at the top and the search box at the bottom. They completely overpower the page and immediately drew my attention rather than your products, or anything else for that matter. Use a more subdued color with perhaps a gradient to tone it down.

X

...And the winner is...
    First, a big thank you goes out to all of those who responded here, called or sent an email with improvement ideas. I appreciate your participation!

The winner was selected by our Search Engine Marketing Manager, Sondra and this is the winning idea, sent by an affiliate partner via email:

"The search function on 4checks.com at times seems inadequate. I've noticed at times it doesn't seem to return results (or enough results) as it should. For example, searching for "cats" returns 39 results, searching for "cat" returns 33. Similar results with "dogs" vs "dog." Search for "flip flops", the design comes up; search for "flip flop" and you get nothing. Also it seems that sometimes partial searches are not enough. If I was looking for Jimi Hendrix checks I feel I should be able to search for "jimi" and the design should come up. But I have to type in "jimi hendrix" for it to show up. Same thing with "notre" vs "notre dame", "seton" vs "seton hall." These are just a few examples that came to mind. The bottom line is if people are searching for something and they can't find it, you could be losing sales."

Again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am passing each of them on to our web development team for further review.

Congratulations to the contributing affiliate. Bolstering up the search function is, indeed, a good suggestion.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread