Web Design Software
    Hello All,

?-I was wondering what design software you are using and does it meet your needs?

I have Dreamweaver which showed me that I should invest in an aspirin company (lol).

Don't get me wrong, I like its features and all but I guess I'm not as tech savvy as I fooled myself into thinking I was. It does have a bit of a learning curve.

I was thinking of purchasing a more user friendly program like MS Expressions which is the new Frontpage.

?-What are you using and why do you like it?

Thanks in advance for your input

Mykl
    Last edited by mykl; June 27th, 2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: omissions

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I use a free tool called html gate. It accomplishes what I need to do. My next choice would be to just use wordpad or some other simple text editor.

I used Frontpage once and only once. I don't like it for all the extra bloated html code it adds on, not to mention it's harder to maintain in my opinion.

Hi SeymourButts,

Thanks for your reply.

I've found that I'm a drag n drop type of guy.

I still want to learn the more intricate processes of design software but does your application(s) allow you to handle thing like images, video, (flash if necessary) in an easy manner?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by mykl; June 27th, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Dreamweaver CS3, and here's why:

I use Photoshop to do all my web and book graphics. I use Illustrator to do logos and some graphic work. I use InDesign to write my books (next one coming soon! ). I use Bridge to manage my assets. All these things are tied together in functionality and interface... so Dreamweaver is a natural choice for me.

I really like it, especially the CS3 version and the CS4 version that I've played with. That I've been using it since version 4 in 2000/2001 only means that I'm less likely to switch away from it, but really, it's the integration into Adobe Creative Suite that's the main reason I use it.

In fact, the only Adobe product that I've tried and don't use as part of my regular workflow is Contribute (blog/site management)... what a horrible, horrible app that is. Ecto blows it out of the water.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Hello HecticDMC,

I love Illustrator and get by pretty well with Photoshop but for some reason I'm having a hard time truly grasping Dreamweaver.

I sort of liken it to being able to do Algebra but then the teacher starts adding plots and splashes of trigonometry...you might as well ask me to fly!

I think I need to just step back and take a different approach to learning DW.

I've never heard of Ecto before. I will look into that as well.

I was also looking at Drupal. Any thoughts on that application?

If you're going to be using a content management system or prerolled blog software, you don't generally need an HTML editor at all. With Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress or others like that, all your site management occurs online. Unless you're writing custom modules/plugins or themes for it, having an HTML editor is generally overkill.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Ok, let me re-assess again,

I am building my first site now. It will have a lot of info-intensive content as well as the following things (as planned on paper):

-Numerous original articles on the niche
    -RSS news data feeds on the niche
    -Video documentary and news embeds on the niche (and based on replies from an earlier post, this will be based on the permission of the author site)
    -I will work on monetizing it initially with Adsense ads and some affiliate links for related products.

-I was also thinking of adding a newsletter feature as well.

I am pretty good with graphics and such so I would like to create my own layout and not use a template.

Do you think I can do all this with a CMS app or would and HTML app be the best method.

As always, thank you for your opinion.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread