ABW Ambassador
    Forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions, but there is no reasonable explanation for this...or, if there is, please enlighten me...

I have always gone through a different domain registrar until recently, when I started going through godaddy.com. Now that I have, I'm starting to almost instantly get spam on those new accounts.

The latest domain I've received spam on is only a day or so old. When I purchase a domain through godaddy, I am not opting to receive any services, email, or newsletters, whatsoever.

But today, it's started already and the email address was created last night and has never been used. The site is not live yet, and there is no way for anyone to get this email address.

So, could it be the slim chance that someone is spamming addresses that may not exist? If that's the case, why only domains I've purchased through godaddy.com?

I also looked up the domain on archive.org to see if there was a previous site, before I purchased it, and evidently there wasn't.

So, has anyone else experienced this, or do you have any ideas how this is happening?

CarSites.us - Free promotion for your automotive-related sites!

Die Parasites Die!!

Ohhh good question I am eager to see what anyone says here. And what action can you take if it is true?

Chances are, someone is searching the whois database on a daily basis and spamming those new addresses. I don't konw if this is true, but perhaps godaddy has their own whois server and these spammers are using it.

I use Domainguru.com for mine and don't recall getting spams after registering there. I do however, see a hit from whois.sc a few days after the site goes live.

Chris

----------------------------
    <FONT SIZE=1>ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....</font>

ABW Ambassador
    what's weird is that the email address is not the same as the one that would be listed in the whois information; however, it is not really an original email address, i.e. webmaster@mydomain.com...
    That would lead me to think the hosting company could be the culprit, but it's only happening right away w/ those domains registered through godaddy.com...

Die Parasites Die!!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ...you'd think GoDaddy is above the antics of NetWork Solutions/Verisign, Register.com or many of the other registrars and not sell that info to the spammers.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

All my domains are registered with GoDaddy, but I don't get spam at the domains on one of my two hosts. Could be because the spam filters are better, but they both use SpamAssasin. Another difference being that I can blackhole the spam on the catchall for one, but have to do it domain-domain on the other. Dunno.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I don't think GoDaddy is selling info to SPAMers, like cditty, I belive someone is searching the WHOIS database for new entries.

We had a chat about it here:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=3056010863

How low will this slime go?

YOURsoft affiliate software
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    A good parasite is a dead parasite. Screw it up and you're screwed!
    Save your affiliate program, save your earnings; Fight ParasiteWareâ„¢!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

they same thing happend to me with a website that i had just registered with godaddy!

------------------------------
    Build a Page A Day And Keep the Bill makers away

Just Lurking
    If your email is hosted try asking your host to direct all unrouted mail to /dev/nul or fail or whatever they call it. This way if there's no POP account or Email Forward associated with the the mail it goes strieght to the trash. You can do the same thing with DNS provided email just don't specify a catch all email record.

I also highly recommend everyone also consider using a website based contact form instead of providing email addresses. Contact forms don't (or shouldn't) expose your email address. Also, I've found that people are much more likely to use a contact form than an email address.

[This message was edited by Buddha on September 21, 2003 at 12:26 PM.]

I registered a domain with godaddy 3 mos ago and I have yet to get any spam - the site is up and active - I threw a spam blocker code into the email address out on the web and zilch no spam yet.

Abigail

I've been with godaddy for a while now and I've not noticed anything like this with them in fact I've not had a single problem with them yet.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

ABW Ambassador
    hmm...thanks for the feedback. I do use contact forms on all my sites and have javascript to beat spam harvesters if I have my email address mentioned elsewhere.
    It must be someone trying addresses like webmaster@newdomain.com for whatever new domains they're finding through WHOIS...
    Oh well...it's such a shame, but it's not bad...I suppose I can live with it

Die Parasites Die!!

I'm a bit late to the party but I'll toss in my $0.02 anyway....

I've been using GoDaddy and a couple of other registrars for several years now and haven't noticed any more spam with the GoDaddy names than with the others....I'm in the process of consolidating all of the names at GoDaddy and haven't seen an increase once the names are moved either.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread