Amazon Affiliates program
    I am trying to understand Amazons Affiliates program and the more I read the more confused I think I am. Tell me if this is maybe true. In order to be an affiliate I would first need a Store web site of which I can get from Amaazon for about $60.00 per month. Then by promoting their products on this store web site I somehow get a percentage of products purchased in some way thru my site. So right off I would need to make at least $60.00 each month or take a loss.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    ??? You don't need to pay for an Amazon store to begin an affiliate relationship with Amazon.com -

Maybe I'm missing something?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    ??? You don't need to pay for an Amazon store to begin an affiliate relationship with Amazon.com -

Maybe I'm missing something?
    No, I am sure you are not missing anything. I just do not understand this affiliates deal. But it appears to me you would need to have some websites such as a store or something to link amazon products to it. And if doing so how does amazon know when a sales is as a result of the buyer finding it on your site.

The Amazon Associates program does not require any payment to Amazon. Amazon pays commissions of 4% to 8.5% on sales (excluding your own purchases, and with some adjustments and variations). Amazon has separate Associate programs for each of its international sites.

You can find the correct information at:

http://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join

You can only earn money from the Amazon Associates Program by sending traffic to Amazon using your associate link URLs -- and in general, you must have a web site to do that. (Some folks do engage in "direct to merchant PPC" and other activities without web sites, but I think Amazon may require that you have an actual web site to be approved as an associate. Read their FAQs.)

It's not easy to make money from any affiliate program, including Amazon's Associates Program. You can learn a lot from the ABestWeb forums, including the "Magic Bullet Thread" (http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79507). I've also posted a brief article explaining why most people don't make money from affiliate-program "trickery," at http://www.markwelch.com/affiliate-arbitrage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jeosborne
    No, I am sure you are not missing anything. I just do not understand this affiliates deal. But it appears to me you would need to have some websites such as a store or something to link amazon products to it. And if doing so how does amazon know when a sales is as a result of the buyer finding it on your site.
    Amazon gives the affilliiate an "ID" which appends to the links the affiliate makes to put on his/her site. When a visitor to the affiliate's site clicks on the link, Amazon recognizes that tracking ID and credits the affiliate with a commission - it's affiliate marketing 101 and works pretty much the same across all affiliate programs.

If you don't yet have a web site, that might explain the confusion. I'm assuming you have at least a page online.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I am trying to understand Amazons Affiliates program and the more I read the more confused I think I am. Tell me if this is maybe true. In order to be an affiliate I would first need a Store web site of which I can get from Amaazon for about $60.00 per month. Then by promoting their products on this store web site I somehow get a percentage of products purchased in some way thru my site. So right off I would need to make at least $60.00 each month or take a loss.
    You can search G. for more free examples, but here is just one you can check out, and it's free!

http://www.mrrat.com/aws/

The rest is up to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Amazon gives the affilliiate an "ID" which appends to the links the affiliate makes to put on his/her site. When a visitor to the affiliate's site clicks on the link, Amazon recognizes that tracking ID and credits the affiliate with a commission - it's affiliate marketing 101 and works pretty much the same across all affiliate programs.

If you don't yet have a web site, that might explain the confusion. I'm assuming you have at least a page online.
    You are right as No I don't have a web-site other than a free yahoo geocities website I set up which is about a one room school

You are right as No I don't have a web-site other than a free yahoo geocities website I set up which is about a one room school
    You can still become an affiliate with a free page. It's where I and I believe many others here started.

You have to apply for an affiliate program and be accepted. If you're finding many don't accept you with this Geocities page as your web site, buy a domain and transfer all the information onto this new site. Then leave the free Geocities page with a link pointing to your new site and apply again to whichever programs you're interested in promoting.

I think if you do this, you *should* remove the content from the Geocities page so you don't get a duplicate content penalty from search engines. Not 100% sure but I didn't leave anything on my old AOL pages except a link to where the page had moved.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    The Amazon Associates program does not require any payment to Amazon. Amazon pays commissions of 4% to 8.5% on sales (excluding your own purchases, and with some adjustments and variations). Amazon has separate Associate programs for each of its international sites.

You can find the correct information at:

http://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join
    Are the commissions for the total price (excluding S&H)?

Does Amazon give commissions for 3rd party used items?

ABW Ambassador

Thanks. I've gotten into the habit of speed-reading websites and sometimes it gets the best of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan Williams
    Are the commissions for the total price (excluding S&H)?

Does Amazon give commissions for 3rd party used items?
    Yes, yes (which is a good thing since the 3rd party items are usually low prices).

Does this script still work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    You can search G. for more free examples, but here is just one you can check out, and it's free!

http://www.mrrat.com/aws/

The rest is up to you!
    Does this still work? As a newbie, I don't even want to mess with the thing if it's going to blow up in my html challenged face. But if it's good, it might be very helpful.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread