CJ Feed questions
    We have been developing our site with a programmer/ designer. We are newbies and she is unfamiliar with CJ and how they work. She has sent multiple questions to Cj and hasnt had much luck getting her questions answered.
    Listed below are the questions she sent to CJ without getting any answers.

If anybody can help with any of her questions or lead us in the right direction. That would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Jaime

1) How do we get data from their site to ours:
    - Do we download or transfer data files and then import the data into our own database?
    - Do we use live XML data feeds?
    - If both are available (as in Commission Junction) we need to know which is the best (fastest, will give us the results we want)
    (see questions below)

2) Do either or both of the methods above allow us to retrieve a list of ONLY the merchants (and just one record for each) we have joined and an example of their rebate/coupon info (with CJ, as you know, the list includes dozens of entries for each merchant; through code, I can make only one instance of each get displayed, but only after we get ALL of the data from CJ -- so it is SLOW)?

3) Do either or both methods allow us to display main product categories, as well as, product sub categories -- from only the merchants we have joined?

4) Do either or both methods allow us to, based on selected category and/or sub category, display products from that category and from only the merchants we have joined?

5) Do either or both methods allow us to link products to the merchants selling them?

6) In any of the situations above, will we have to transfer ALL of the data from the affiliate marketing source (CJ, etc.) and then weed through it on our end? Or can we send detailed queries to the source and get specific data back?

7) Does the source provide TECHNICAL support (not just customer support, but real technical support from people who know XML and know the data we're working with).

Quote Originally Posted by jjblond
    1) How do we get data from their site to ours:
    - Do we download or transfer data files and then import the data into our own database?
    - Do we use live XML data feeds?
    - If both are available (as in Commission Junction) we need to know which is the best (fastest, will give us the results we want)
    (see questions below)
    You can get data in the form of text files. these are full product feeds, one for each of the merchants you are partnered with.

You can also get the data from a webservice API.

If you want ALL products for any given merchant the best way is probably the text feed for you to process yourself.

If you want to retrieve a subset of products based on some criteria, the webservice is good.

2) Do either or both of the methods above allow us to retrieve a list of ONLY the merchants (and just one record for each) we have joined and an example of their rebate/coupon info (with CJ, as you know, the list includes dozens of entries for each merchant; through code, I can make only one instance of each get displayed, but only after we get ALL of the data from CJ -- so it is SLOW)?
    Not via a datafeed. Not sure about this in the API. I've never dug into the merchant query, and I don't remember if there's a link query that allows you to pull links. In any case, CJ's coupon link type is pretty poorly structured so I doubt you'll get useful information in an automated fashion.

3) Do either or both methods allow us to display main product categories, as well as, product sub categories -- from only the merchants we have joined?
    Yes. either way the product data from the merchants generally contains their full category hierarchy for each product. They're not normalized across merchants, however.

4) Do either or both methods allow us to, based on selected category and/or sub category, display products from that category and from only the merchants we have joined?
    If you're dealing with a datafeed and pull that into your own database, you can slice it however you want. I can't remember if the product API allows you to query on category. I doubt it though, knowing how it's structured.

5) Do either or both methods allow us to link products to the merchants selling them?
    Of course, that's the whole point.

6) In any of the situations above, will we have to transfer ALL of the data from the affiliate marketing source (CJ, etc.) and then weed through it on our end? Or can we send detailed queries to the source and get specific data back?
    In the case of getting a datafeed text file. You do the weeding.
    With the API, you can query the product data and get smaller subsets.

7) Does the source provide TECHNICAL support (not just customer support, but real technical support from people who know XML and know the data we're working with).[/FONT]
    No. You're on your own for the technical details.

Thanks
    Thank you.
    I am going to forward your answers to her!
    I really appreciate your help!!

Have you been to webservices.cj.com ?? Looks at thw wdsl and it will list all the functions of the API. There's documentation there as well might help your programmer figure out what's possible and what isn't.

text files?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    You can get data in the form of text files. these are full product feeds, one for each of the merchants you are partnered with.
    sjangro-
    Where are these available for download? I am familiar with the api feeds, but I haven't seen any place where you can download text files in which we can use for our own databases. I'd be really interested in knowing where these are ?

There's an FTP server that you'd have access to. CJ's client services needs to set you up with an ftp account and then set up specific feeds to be available to you.

I read that in the CJ Account Manager->Account->Services
    You are supposed to be able to access these feeds you're referring to, however when I navigate there I see the message:

"You currently have no services enabled for your account."

I guess the obvious question is how do you get these services available? Is there somewhere I apply? CJ's site is just not very well organized. So, I apologize for bugging you, but I really appreciate it.

It's been forever since I've had this set up, so I don't know if the process has changed.

I do believe that you just contact their support through their support "Ask a Question" interface.

the datafeeds can only accessed by premium affiliates that earn $10,000 + a month. If you are below that you can buy your way in for a fee of $250

The API is free but is slow. There is a function in the api to search for links by promotiontype. As coupons is one of that it should work. Haven' done it myself as i use the api to search for products which is a different call.

Getting Datafeeds
    I followed the instructions I originally posted here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=108417

It took about a week for CJ to approve me. There was no fee. I am a new affiliate and I only make a few hundred dollars in commission each month. They allowed me to choose 5 datafeeds only. Now, this is where if you are an affiliate that makes $10,000 in commission a month, you are able to receive unlimited datafeeds (opposed to only 5).

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread