ABW Ambassador
    Copyrighting an idea.
    I know enough that an idea can't be copyrighted, but this is what I mean.

If I were to post a detailed description of an "idea" about an invention, book, product, movie, etc. on a website, can it be protected at all?

The "idea" would be available to any person or company with the means and skills to turn the "idea" in to the final product. They would need to contact me, asking for rights to the idea, and all in return I'd want is some credit given to me and one of the final products for free.

So in regards to the legal rights, is there protection from theft.. and/or could someone just make minor changes to the idea, and claim it was theirs to begin with? The hope would be that wouldn't happen since not much is being asked for.

It is putting a bit of faith in to humanity though, LOL.

That's an interesting question. I can put you in touch with the owner of DirectLegal.com and you can talk to the expert personally. I manage their affiliate program in CJ. They provide copyright and trademark services. I don't want to post his contact info here so send me a message at greg at paulsonmanagementgroup.com and I'll get you that answer next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka

It is putting a bit of faith in to humanity though, LOL.
    That I don't have. There is always someone out there to take advantage of someone else's kindness, misfortune, ... naivite.

Doesn't sound like a copyright you are after but more of an idea patent. Have you looked at the uspto.gov site?

ABW Ambassador
    Yep its a patent, and patenting business process these days ain't what it used to be, and honestly $50 says it isn't a new idea.

Takes a lot of time and money to get a patent, sometimes several years. Then once you have it you've got to spend quite a lot to take infringers to court. It's just not worth it. Better just to do what you're going to do and do it better than anybody else could imagine. If you're concerned about developers sharing your idea then just get them to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    If I were to post a detailed description of an "idea" about an invention, book, product, movie, etc. on a website, can it be protected at all?
    You patent processes which are non obvious to people in that field. The fact that your calling it more of an "idea" makes it sound like it is not patentable.

Patents have to be:
    1. Tangible
    2. Useful
    3. Concrete

For example many exercise "systems" (probably the specific moves - tangible (move from here to there), useful (burns calories) and concrete (moves can be diagrammed)) were patented Tie-Bow, but anyone could use different moves and come up with their own system. The patient came in if you wanted to promote the Tie-Bow moves and name. That patent doesn't prevent you from coming up with some other moves named Why-Knot and marketing it in a similar way.

ABW Ambassador
    Totally forgot about patents, and I'm thinking now that I combined two different things. Does this sound better splitting them up like this?

A developed design for a product, invention, etc would require a patent.

A developed story for a book, play, movie, etc would require a copyright.

Should have done that in my first post, my apologies. And thank you all for the replies, they were helpful.

akagorilla, that'd be awesome. I'll shoot off an email.

Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation.
    [COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1][url="http://www.pianowizardacademy.com"]Piano learning software[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://bit.ly/PWAiPad"]Back Piano Wizard iPad App on KickStarter[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://www.musicwizardaffiliates.com"]Piano Wizard Affiliate Program[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread