Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Randomizing Links
    What is everyone's opinion about randomizing text links on pages for SEO purposes? We are doing an experiment where we change text links on pages each time the page loads with randon yet relevant links to other interior pages.

Wanted to see if others had tried this and if it had any effect on your SE placement.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

superCool has considered something like this but has not tried it yet. one concern is that your users might see a link, remember it and want to click it, but then can't find it when they return to the page where they saw it. this might seem far fetched but superCool has gotten frustrated on more than one occasion when trying to find a link he saw but can't find again. superCool thinks the old goal of "easy to navigate" includes the concept of consistency. ??

maybe switching links every week would be just as good?

looking forward to more input from others here. it would be great if you would let us know how things work out

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    What is everyone's opinion about randomizing text links on pages for SEO purposes?
    I had a set up like that on the home page of one of my sites for quite a while and couldn't see any SEO effect one way or the other. Every new page load gave different content with the idea toward making it look like it was being updated.

For some forgotten reason I became biased against the idea and went back to the original set up.

ABW Ambassador
    I would suggest leaving them for a longer period. But if you do change them on every load, do the real work. See where the people came from, how they navigated and change the items being shown to test performance on the links.

It might sound complicated, but it isn't. Start in big buckets - natural traffic, google, yahoo, links from this site etc... understanding how users use your site is key, doing anything just for seo will always be short term because that is a moving target, user behavior tends to change slower.

Chet

Personally, I don't think random is your best bet. You're constantly changing things out from under the search engines and they're getting reset. I think there's something to be said for some consistency across spider visits. Give the search engines something to chew on for a while.

And don't make it random. Find a better reason to put links out there to help rankings, like the ones that have the best EPC.

Update less frequently, maybe monthly, getting rid of the ones that don't work and keeping the ones that are paying off.

And keep SEO in mind, but always do it in a way that's useful to your visitors. A bunch of random links isn't useful, and your users behavior will reflect in ways that I believe the search engines are trying to measure, like bounce rate, average time on page and site, click-throughs to other pages, etc.

I agree with sjangro about the effectiveness of random links. That's like shotgunning.
    As for SEO, you didn't state whether the links were internal or external links. If internal, as long as the linked to pages have permanent links elsewhere on the site I don't think it will make a difference. If they are external links I don't think it would make a difference either way.

X

I use 4 different pages for my home page and this has been running for over two years. All pages are in the same theme and rolling every week. Each page has some sets of banner and text links that constantly change either by random every click (js) or by rotation every hour (php). I donít see any problem on SEO, or maybe because I use the same Meta and H1 tags.

My problem is not in the choice between random link and fixed link, but how to keep the status of link ongoing and current. See the links at CJ Smartzone for example, it is difficult to find out whether the links are ongoing or not (sometime I found one or two of the links there were expired or deactivated for a long time).
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    So the feeling is that it hurts the user and does nothing to suggest constant updating to the spiders?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    So the feeling is that it hurts the user and does nothing to suggest constant updating to the spiders?
    Constant updating is of course good but better done with actual real updates, not randomizing the presentation of existing stuff.

Of course it's possible to fake out the search engines, and plenty of people do very well with that strategy. But in my experience, that's a losing battle. Or at least one that gets really tiring. JMO

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread