Yahoo raises domain registration fees $9.95 to $34.95...
    Last edited by loxly; June 30th, 2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: clarification of thread topic

http and a telephoto
    Have they lost their minds? Just sell it off if you don't want to do it... and to charge people 9.95 for the first year is going to be misleading. I hope this gets A LOT of press and gets nipped fast. Or they make it extremely easy to move domains to another registrar.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    GoColts, I changed the thread title a little to make it clear what fees were being raised.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Makes sense.

People weren't going there for low prices. They weren't going to become the market leader that way.

People use them because they are lazy and doh, its yahoo, this is how I register a domain name. People use their small business hosting, register a domain name and there you go...

I bet they don't even really dip in number of domains registered.

Chet

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    There they go again.

I wonder how many bad decisions Y needs to make in order to understand they're really not good at developing business or keeping existing customers happy...
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf

People use them because they are lazy and doh, its yahoo, this is how I register a domain name.

Chet
    Maybe they just don't know any better and they prefer to buy with a brand they trust, that doesn't mean they are lazy.

With that in mind, what a nice little (sleazy) way for yahoo to cash in on the newbs.

I'm glad I moved my domains from them awhile ago, the only reason I used them was because at one time I could charge my domain purchases to my phone bill and that worked for me at the time.

People buy domains there because the first year it's 1.99 if you look hard enough.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Take a look at what Godaddy is doing with this: http://www.bobparsons.tv/Yahoogouges...s.html?watch=1

I don't care for some of Godaddy's marketing methods or Bob Parson's desire to emulate Hugh Hefner, but you have to hand it to him for taking advantage of this situation.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    That's so 90's are they crazy.

I remember when that other registrar N Solutions way back then was charging 30 something dollars per year just to register new domains. It's a real dumb way of Yahoo to really get new struggling business and merchants to stay or get online.

I see godaddy going from 30mil to 100mil registered domains quick.

Never bought a name at Y, but can see Mr. Joe Smallbiz signing up with yahoo stores, getting the hosting and their name all in one stop shopping.

Serious players/domainers/marketers will stay away, but Joe Smallbiz won't know the wiser.

--I would have bought more domains back in the late 90's if I had the cash flow to pay 35 bucks a name/per year.
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

i didnt watch the video, am Lazy what did they do?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    i didnt watch the video, am Lazy what did they do?
    Godaddy is offering $6.99 transfers and 1yr renewals to yahoo domain holders. Marketing it as the "Domain Rescue Offer".
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge - JRami
    That's so 90's are they crazy.

I remember when that other registrar N Solutions way back then was charging 30 something dollars per year just to register new domains.
    Back in 1999, I registered a domain name with Network Solutions (only game in town back then) for $35. If I bought that domain name today from Network Solutions, it wouldn't cost me as much. Domains are now $34.99 over there...

First domain was in 1998 when it was $50/year, when you just registered through InterNIC.

Now all of my .com names are with GoDaddy, and I never pay their retail rates. I don't think I've paid more than $7.50 for a domain in quite some time.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Well we have $9.95 domains that are affiliate only promotions at Register.com. Will have $4.95/mo hosting plans for affiliates next month that pay $125 commissions. We are going in the other direction based on affiliate feedback.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; July 14th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

UPDATE:

A yahoo tech told me today that domain fees are included with yahoo hosting. I was under the false impression that this fee would be on top of yahoo hosting fees.

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoColts
    UPDATE:

A yahoo tech told me today that domain fees are included with yahoo hosting. I was under the false impression that this fee would be on top of yahoo hosting fees.
    GC

That used to be the case. Until this year I have never paid under 30 USD / yr for my domain name renewals. Yahoo split from Domain Registry of America & then yahoos fees went way down. Mine stayed at like 34 USD/ year. For what I've paid so far, I could have renewed my domain for 80 years.

Haiko is a store front for GoDaddy, and I have decided to renew through him from now on & I have bought 2 new Domains too.

As a User that has ONLY ever used Yahoo hosting, I can tell you that yahoo can get the money because they have the reputation of being a familiar name. That Golden Brand Awareness thing. ICDSoft does not. Rolet Services is miles ahead of Yahoo, yet they are completely invisible to email only users. There is also the fear factor. Not knowing who is real.

I'll bet that the yahoo tech told you that is for the first year. Maybe I'm wrong, but you still gotta pay for the monthly hosting fee & the domain after the first year. The hosting is 100 bucks a year alone. So thats what ? 200 USD/ year including pop shops ? {& Scott said it was not expensive. Sorry to disagree here Scott }

Yahoo treats their customers like step child. They are arrogant & don't give a crap. A few are even stupid. Many are just plain jerks.

Make sure you ask him about year # 2 Bro. I'll bet you get a VERY different answer.

Hope this contributes in some way.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 10th, 2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree. Beachy, HELP !!....
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

What is the best deal in town for domains with a solid company? I have paid on average about 10 bucks a year and would like to cut that way way down.

GoNicoFish,

We represent the Register.com program that offers affiliate exclusive domains at $9.99 with a 25% commission (50% is top tier). Register is a 13 year old with an 8 year old affiliate program.

I will offer any ABW member a 35% commission level if you email and indicate that you know me from ABW. chamrick@affiliatecrew.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    I will offer any ABW member a 35% commission level if you email and indicate that you know me from ABW. chamrick\/at\/affiliatecrew.com
    Chuck, can we self refer for our own domains? If my math is right that would make the net cost $6.49 per year per domain.

Any other charges involved like GoDaddy addon of .20(?) for ICANN fee.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Yes, affiliates are very welcome to purchase domains via their affiliate links.

We are working on a hosting launch and will have information out next week.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    GC

Make sure you ask him about year # 2 Bro. I'll bet you get a VERY different answer.

Hope this contributes in some way.

Steve

I'll have to do that - thanks for the feedback. Wonder what ever happened to that old word called integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Yes, affiliates are very welcome to purchase domains via their affiliate links.

We are working on a hosting launch and will have information out next week.
    Will there be anything in your TOS that guarantees we will stay locked in at that rate for domains and that fees won't go absurdly up in the future like hachoo?

Quote Originally Posted by GoNicoFish
    What is the best deal in town for domains with a solid company? I have paid on average about 10 bucks a year and would like to cut that way way down.
    I'm still on the fence here but with 1and1.com you can get domains for $6.99 (includes icann and private reg.)

I've purchased 5 from them in the last year.

I can't speak for their technical features but works just find for redirections.

No Longer Banned!
    Integrity In America Is As Fleeting As A House Flies Life Span....
    Quote Originally Posted by GoColts
    I'll have to do that - thanks for the feedback. Wonder what ever happened to that old word called integrity.
    GC

For most people this goes out the window when a dollar is involved. If you ask a biz type this question they'll likely just stare at you. On the other hand I think I've heard somewhere that when a disese takes full effect, it goes to the extremities such as the fingers toes etc. ect. In that spirt, try asking this question at a homeless shelter. These boys are as blunt as it gets my man.

Peoples lack of integrity is basically a cancer {As Donuts And Daniel M. Clark & H. can attest to} and it is considered by many to be crazy to have any integrity at all. In fact, if you have ever expressed your intgrity loudly, you will know that you were fired or told you would be if you did not shut up.

Sadly, many people view others as a free for all or "Ripe for the taking" and integrity is often in the eye of the beholder. The abuses in america are no different than the abuses in any other country. They just take a slightly different form. Disguting but true man.

As donuts says, it has not changed in 20 centuries. It has just scaled its reach. If thats not cancer, I dunno what is.

Anyway the YAHOO! hosting is 11.95 per mo. and the domain is 34 USD a year plus 5 USD / mo for popshops I have been doing this w/ yahoo for 8 years now..... Please be aware that when YAHOO! stopped using Domain Registry of America I continued to register my domain with Domain Registry of Amerca due in part to the fact that YAHOO! had stopped doing domains at all for a brief period. Hence when they continued registering domains again their domain prices dipped but I kept paying DROA.

As far as buying a domain goes, I found out by accident that Haiko has a terrific reputation when it comes to buying domains from him and some people actually will respect you/ see you differently if you use his services. To me this is well worth the 80 USD price tag. Ya Digg ? In ten years I'm really not gonna care about the 80 USD anyway. Esp. if I'm grossing 20 - 30 grand / mo at some point. 80 USD for a good rep is peanuts. Feelin' me ??

Plus it is best to support the guy that supports me .....

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 13th, 2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Texas spelling spreeeeee......
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

GoColts, we have had the $9.99 domains since the first of the year and work directly with the merchant to keep benefits for the affiliates. Am working to insure that affiliates and their customers have an identical path for renewals.

We are getting ready for the launch of their hosting package for affiliates and it is competitive against Yahoo: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?p=850374

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread